Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Larder: trifle bowl Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 14 2008 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Any advice on purchasing and/or filling a trifle bowl?

Devin and I are convinced that we *need* one .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2008 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

My trifle bowl doubles as a cake dome whenever we need it to. I would look for one like that to get double duty out of it.

As far as what to put in it...

chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, whipped cream (or cool whip) & crushed heath bars

or

pound cake, strawberries, whipped cream and lemon cream

Yummmmm!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2008 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Okay, first question. I have a cake stand like Matilda's--a cake stand one way, a trifle dish/punch bowl the other. Yes, a big punch bowl will also work quite well as a trifle dish--so will a big salad bowl with relatively straight vertical sides...the greater the angle, the better (it "shows" better).

Second question/comment....

I have made a couple of naughty ones...Devils food cake, cooked in a long pan, chunked up, and soaked in Kahlua/creme de menthe. I made a rich chocolate pudding (used more Kahlua/creme de menthe--cold from the fridge--as a replacement for *part* of the milk), then layered the cake, the pudding, chunked up Ande's candies (or other nummy candy/cookies, like oreo's, thin mints, then more cake and pudding. I topped it off with whipped cream, and the last of the chunked up candy/cookies, drizzling the top with some more Kahlua or creme de menthe.

Yes. I said naughty. LOL. Naughty because of the calories AND the contents. LOL

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 14 2008 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

Every Christmas when my oldest sister asks what she can add to the table for the feast, I say "Make Mom's trifle!" For some reason, mine never tastes or looks as yummy as hers did. Last year, she came to Christmas with my gift, which was a trifle bowl , filled with my Mom's special recipe. The bottom is lined with little sponge cakes (called Lady's fingers),and jello is poured over them so they dissolve into the gelatin giving it a nice texture when it gels, Then layers of vanilla pudding, strawberries , peaches, and tons of homemade whipped cream! I can't wait for Christmas just thinking about it...as you can tell it is one of those desserts you can only have once a year! My worry now is, now that I have my own trifle bowl, am I expected to make it myself next Christmas?

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2008 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

I want to try this really, really badly.

I don't have a trifle bowl, but I could probably use my hurricane instead.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 14 2008 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

We use our trifle bowl for chocolate trifle...chunked brownies, chocolate pudding w/sweetened condensed milk and cool whip

or fruit salad...strawberries, peaches, mandarin oranges, pineapple

or just to serve a regular salad in a pretty way for special dinners.

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2008 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I bought mine at TJ Max, very inexpensive.   Trifles are so fun and easy! They always make a great presentation and are a snap to put together. In fact, I don't make them my 10yr dd does She tells me what to buy and she whips the cream and assembles real beauties     hmmmmmmmm   I am hungry thinking about one!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 15 2008 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

I can help you get a trifle bowl, Angie! I love the one I have from the Pampered Chef and I have lots of recipe ideas, not just trifles. You can even put flowers, decorations, salads, or even punch in the bowl. It stores really nicely, with the base inside the bowl, and comes with a lid to make your trifle ahead of time. If you need dimensions, or specifics, I can go measure for you as well.

PM me, Angie (or anyone else with questions), and I can place your order, and ship it right to you!

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 15 2008 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Jenny

I love the Pampered Chef bowl because it does not take up too much room in the cabinet. The base is detachable and it has a lid!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 16 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thanks for the offer, Fuzzy, and thank you for your help, ladies! Devin and I are now going into research and discussion mode, which is half the fun! I'll let you all know what we decide.

PDyer wrote:

Patty, that recipe is SO US...can't wait to try it. Have you made it yet?

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2008 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Angie Mc wrote:
PDyer wrote:

Patty, that recipe is SO US...can't wait to try it. Have you made it yet?

Love,

No I haven't. I wanted to make it for the bridal shower tomorrow, but my SIL wasn't enthused. We have a monthly rosary group that gets together on or near First Fridays; maybe I'll let that bunch try it with us.   

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

websterm
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 16 2008 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote websterm

First I had think, what is a trifle bowl? Oh, that would be my pampered chef trifle bowl that I have had for 2 years and used 2 times! Oops! It was the bowl I HAD to have! Thanks for the reminder of how cool the bowl really is...now I have to get it out and use it again.

Marcia
Home To Learn
Back to Top View websterm's Profile Search for other posts by websterm Visit websterm's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2008 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

This is the recipe for children that I got from my British mother. I don't know if its authentic but its waaaay yum!

Use pound cake, cut into slices. Spread each with strawberry jam. Line the outsides and the center of the bowl, leaving about 1-2 inches empty at the top.. Then cut up the rest into cubes and plant in the center. Pour strawberries with sugar and the syrupy juice they come in (in the freezer section) over all. Smoosh the sides slightly so that the yellow cake and the red strawberries look sort of marbled. If you want the adult version, add liqueur (sp?) to the cake and maybe reduce the berries a bit?

Next, go to the foreign foods section of your grocery store and find Bird's Custard powder. Follow directions for making this (use whole milk). Don't burn it, as I do every Easter and have to start over. Let it cool slightly. Pour over the cake and fruit and refrigerate several hours. Press plastic wrap onto the custard so that no skin forms. The next day or just before serving, mix up real whipped cream. My mom insists that it should not be sweetened, but I do add a tablespoon or so of sugar.

She also uses angel food cake to lower the calorie count a bit sometimes, but for us this is a once a year treat on Easter Sunday, so all "reduced calorie" substitutions are a big no-no here.

I am still on the hunt for the perfect trifle bowl. I want a *big* one and all the ones I keep finding are too small for us (8) plus the family of 11 we celebrate Easter with, along with all the grandparents...BTW, no trifle bowl would feed all these people so we usually have something else that kids will eat (some kids don't like the taste of Bird's Custard but mine all love it). I use a straight sided salad bowl to make one twice the size of the smaller trifle bowls.

...now I'm hungry...

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version