Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Nurturing a gentle spirit Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Lissa wrote:
It is astonishing (and humbling and sometimes alarming!) to me how much power I have to set the mood in our home.

Exactly! This is why I've been doing so much self-reflection. If so much is hinged on the mood of the home, and I have so much power over it, then by jolly gee I had better start changing some of my habits! Cheerfulness is another struggle I am having.

Lissa wrote:
This may sound silly, but you know what I like? Scented geraniums.

It's not silly.. I really like it. I spent the better of the evening wandering around trying to find my own post-it note and found my mood very much influenced by the paintings I have around the house. I especially like my collection of children playing. They aren't expensive and in fact most of them are those 500 jigsaw puzzles but glancing at them causes me to have a lighter step and a lighter heart. I've also been eyeing Small Meadow Press.

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

jenngm67 wrote:
Sarah wrote:
Genevieve-
You may have a more Choleric temperment. There's lots of good stuff written about the four temperments and overcoming their defects to attain holiness. Of course, I can't think of a source now, but I'll work on it.

We've been having a thread on a book called Temperament God Gave You.

I finally took the test and the results doesn't favor my desire to be gentle and cheerful, which only makes me even more determined tackle it!

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Bridget wrote:
Yesterday, Regina, 4, was looking at me with that loving adoration only small children look at their mothers with. She sighed, "Mama, I can't wait till I'm a grownup mama, with long hair and flowered skirts and I'll nurse my babies too."

Bridget,

That is beautiful! You don't sound like a drill sargeant to me ....

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Genevieve wrote:
Could anyone recommend a take-along friend? For example, I just watched Little House on the Prairie television series and was awestruck by the actress playing Ma.

I have all girls, as did Marmee (Little Women) so I love her as an example. And, Lissa was too humble to mention what beautiful portraits of motherhood she has created in her books -- Martha's mother, in the Martha Years, is gentle and kind and a wonderful storyteller. And when Martha becomes a mother to Charlotte, we see another wonderful mom in action.

Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Genevieve wrote:
Lissa wrote:
It is astonishing (and humbling and sometimes alarming!) to me how much power I have to set the mood in our home.

Exactly!

Several years ago, a mom in the moms' group that I used to attend and now host, said that as her day goes, so goes the family. I remember being taken aback by the realization that she was absolutely right. Horrified is more accurate ... "Oh, no! It all depends on MY mood??" But it does. It's amazing to me how much my moods, habits, mannerisms, speech, tone of voice, everything is filtered back to me through my children. It's also embarrassing when I see the worst of myself played out before my eyes when they unknowingly sound just like me at my worst. That's probably one of my best (most humbling) reminders.

I remember a thread similar to this awhile back -- maybe on the CCM list? I shared a silly trick I often use. I pretend that the neighbors can hear everything I'm saying to my children. This comes from two things: we used to live in a house in which the neighbors (during good/all-the-windows-are-open weather) could hear everything. So then I reflected on the fact that if I didn't want neighbors to hear me sound cross and impatient, how much more did I not want the Lord to hear me -- and He, of course, really does hear everything. So, my trick has shifted over the years from imagining a neighbor eavesdropping to imagining (grasping) Jesus at my side.

You mentioned the art around your house, Genevieve -- I find, too, that visual reminders are so helpful. I love the Polish Madonna (Mary hanging laundry with baby Jesus sitting on the ground next to her), having prayers and little Scripture quotes posted in various places, my favorite pictures of the kids. Whatever causes one's heart to soften is a good "tool" in our battle against harsh tones and habits.

Learning and striving right along with you ....

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Genevieve wrote:
I've also been eyeing Small Meadow Press.

Oh, I'm so glad you mentioned that--you're absolutely right, Lesley Austin's beautiful things are such a quiet inspiration to me. The first time I ordered from her, I honestly felt like I learned something from the package. She had emailed me after my order went through to ask whether I needed it ASAP, as she was about to leave town for a few days and if I wasn't in a rush, she'd rather send the order upon her return "because I like to take my time putting a package together." I was intrigued by the notion--for me, "putting a package together" means dumping everything into a box and scrambling for something to tape it up with. I told her to take her time, and when the package arrived about a week later, the very label on the box made us all say "Oooh, how lovely." She prints up her own pretty labels. Inside, everything was gently wrapped in tissue and tied with ribbon, and the whole box smelled of lavender. It was a treat to open. Even before I unwrapped all the lovely goodies I'd purchased! (I had ordered several things for Christmas gifts, I recall.)

That package really made me think, made me want to slow down, take time to make even the simple, mundane tasks special. And THAT reminded me of a line I'd loved in Gail Godwin's FATHER MELANCHOLY'S DAUGHTER, from a scene in which a woman was on a retreat at a monastery and was assigned to help the monks with the laundry one day. There was, naturally, a mound of clothes to wash and fold, and she was rushing through it, afraid they wouldn't make a dent in the pile before the noon meal. One of the monks told her not to worry--all they had to do was "work at our appointed task for the appointed time, steadily and for the glory of God." I loved that. And I think Lesley's Small Meadow items speak to that same quiet, humble striving to glorify God through daily work. Her little "notes on gratitude" transformed my previously harried approach to thank-you notes into an activity that reflects the joy I felt in the gift I'm thanking someone for. I have a basket of her notecards next to my computer, and the mere sight of those pretty paper packets always 'gentles' my mood.

I know I'm rambling here, but it really is true that Lesley's Small Meadows wares have meant a great deal more to me than mere stationery--they inspired me to look at my house through new eyes and find small, simple ways to "work steadily and for the glory of God."

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Lissa and Genevieve -- thanks so much for mentioning Small Meadow Press - what a beautiful site! Looks like I know where to spend my birthday money.......

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

I had the same experience with Small Meadow. Lesley emailed me with questions about my order and when it came I was so delighted. It is all so pretty and inspiring.

Lissa did you ever order the cardboard binders? If so what did you do with them. I have them here but I am artistically impaired and can't figure out how to make them mine.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

MEBarrett wrote:
I had the same experience with Small Meadow.

I was feeling nurtured just gazing at her website, it's so beautiful and calming. I can't wait to order something. Maybe we could start a *small meadows* card sending from around the country and see where it ends up. You know send it to one person and then they add something to it and send it on to someone else. Does that sound wierd?? It might nurture ALL of us in some way or another. Enjoying this thread immensely!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I'd like that idea of sending something lovely around to keep us uplifted, especially as winter approaches. Today I went outside a heard a loud bunch of chirping as the birds collect themselves to leave us behind. I got kind of sad, (even though there is so much nice weather ahead) and winter has its good aspects, I guess. Its just hard to get out with a newborn, 2 year old, and three others that are mostly incapable of getting themselves outfitted for subzero wind chills. Wow! I can't wait!

I think I'm going to order one of those cardboard binders and do what she suggests and cover it in fabric and somehow attach some beautiful picture on it. Does anyone know how to go about this-making it homeschooling-proof (that is, able to survive sand, coffee, spit-up, dog hair, etc).

I was just about to reorder my Franklin planner inserts for next year (so half of them can sit blank). I think I'm sick of my Franklin planner and I'll make my own planner with some of her stuff. She has those blank calendars in her home learning section. I also like the pigeon hole idea in the "this and that" section.
Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2005 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Two other things that help - sufficient sleep and lack of clutter. Both of these cannot be had completely in a house full of children. However, I find that I have habits that make the problems worse. Learning that I go nuts when I cannot find something and am a real crank after staying up very late (somehow I am at my worst when I have stayed up through my own fault - not taking care of dc or other legitimate activity) helps me at least anticipate some problems and try to diffuse with humor and laugh at my own ridiculousness. I think learning to take care of ourselves in a reasonable way is something I am learning from a lot of you moms. Temper is something I will probably struggle with all my life - reading the life of St. Camillus de Lellus helps give hope that it can be conquered even in the worst. Prayer and moments of silence.

I will really have to work on the smiling thing. Moodiness sure goes hand in hand and the idea of setting a better mood with a smile is inspiring.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2005 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

ALmom wrote:
Two other things that help - sufficient sleep and lack of clutter.

I completely agree! I've gone so far as to have one room of the house (my bedroom) to be completely clutter-free. Other than the bed and a reading light, absolutely nothing is in it! It looks so strange compared to the rest of the house but it's where we run to when we just want to get away and the garden is not an option.

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2005 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

So thank you to all the ladies, especially the comments on smiling and being cheerful. I'm still experimenting with Molly's suggestion to talk less... I've only managed to talk softly. Although it's not completely natural, I feel the change and the mood in the house seems honestly different.

I've been more aware of gentle reminders around my house and I wanted to share a few more observations. A few of our picture books have truly spoken to my heart, namely Hold Tight, Again,Come to the Meadow. Every time I read these books I am inspired to slow down, smile and cuddle with my children. Anyone else have similar experiences with other books?

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2005 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Karen E. wrote:
I love the Polish Madonna (Mary hanging laundry with baby Jesus sitting on the ground next to her), having prayers and little Scripture quotes posted in various places, my favorite pictures of the kids. Whatever causes one's heart to soften is a good "tool" in our battle against harsh tones and habits.

I was finally able to pull out the Polish Madonna painting. Quite exquiste. Maybe Christmas...

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Sept 25 2005 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Genevieve wrote:
I was finally able to pull out the Polish Madonna painting. Quite exquiste. Maybe Christmas...

Do you have an online link to view it? I am not familiar with it.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 25 2005 at 11:05pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

teachingmom wrote:
Do you have an online link to view it? I am not familiar with it.

Polish Madonna

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2005 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Karen E. wrote:
I shared a silly trick I often use. I pretend that the neighbors can hear everything I'm saying to my children.

Or that there is a hidden video camera or tape recorder somewhere in the house and we'll end up on some dumb reality nanny/parenting type show!!!

This is a wonderful thread and a great reminder of what is truly important. I agree with everything everyone has said (especially the sleep and clutter part), and don't have much to add. I always picture all of you ladies as calm and peaceful and perfect mothers, anyway!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2005 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I've been reading some books lately by Susan Branch. Here are few of her thoughts from her book called Autumn...

display your old favorite books
get out games and puzzles to start to play on the colder nights which are coming
let the last of the tomatoes ripen on your windowsill
lamps lit are cozier and prettier than ceiling lights
an old ticking clock
fill the cookie jar
make a cake or muffins and put under glass
light candles as night falls
hang bunches of fresh herbs
wooden, pewter or ironstone bowls, etc. filled with fall fruits and/or flowers
fall colors-rust, purple, dark orange, burgandy, brown, green garnet, warm yellow

Hope this inspires someone.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2005 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

It inspired me! What a wonderful list.

Thank you for sharing it. I'm in need.

Julie

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2005 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I also like some of the ideas in Simple Abundance - some are soul inspiring. Some are way out, of course.

The Simple Abundance book inspired me to make a Comfort Box - not just for me but for me and the dc. For those times when we may be feeling out of sorts or in need of comfort.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version