Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Nurturing a gentle spirit Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 01 2005 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

THANKS
to all you ladies who recommended Fr. Lovasik's Hidden Power of Kindness -- I've been reading it during my weekly Adoration hour and it truly is a great source for helping me nurture a gentle spirit.

THANKS so much!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 02 2005 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Marybeth wrote:
I've been reading some books lately by Susan Branch. Here are few of her thoughts from her book called Autumn...

Oh, I love Susan Branch! I didn't realize she had this one! Her work inspires me!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

deleted user
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote deleted user

Genevieve pointed me to this thread- what a wealth of ideas. I shared with her I just picked up Linda Eyre's The Joyful Mother of Children. She is an LDS mom of 9, which seemed like a loooooot of kids when I first discovered her years ago lol! Its funny to read her words again now when I have 8. Good to see we all struggle though. Its a journey! Silly trick of mine fwiw is to pretend my kids are company. Before I speak I think would I say this (or say it this way) to a neighbor child?

Also am working through For the Family's Sake by Susan Schaeffer McCauley. (probably slaugherted the spelling) Its a very quieting and convicting read thus far. Makes me look at household chores and routines differently. She assigns them such value and impact.

On the Small Meadow Press - lovely! This would be my one real indulgence in life - vintage paper crafts! I love love love emphemera and vintage papers. Totally makes me a nicer person to sit in my scrapbk room.

Meredith have you ever checked out the circle journals? Twopeasinabucket.com and the other scrapbk sites do this. I havent participated but I gather its similar to your suggestion.

On demeanor - one thing that has helped me more than I can say is more rosaries daily.

Kim
Back to Top View deleted user's Profile Search for other posts by deleted user

deleted user
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 15 2005 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote deleted user

http://www.melissafrances.com/

http://www.paperstyle.com/

http://www.annagriffin.com/

3 of my favorite places for gentle, lovely, old images.

Kim
Back to Top View deleted user's Profile Search for other posts by deleted user

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2005 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

This thread has helped me greatly. I have been trying to be more patient and present to the people in my life.
The suggestion of always smiling when you see your child has just made such an impact on my family. Isn't it amazing how implementing something so little and effortless can make such an impact?

Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2005 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Marybeth wrote:
This thread has helped me greatly. I have been trying to be more patient and present to the people in my life.
The suggestion of always smiling when you see your child has just made such an impact on my family. Isn't it amazing how implementing something so little and effortless can make such an impact?

We are finding the same thing here. I think I tend to want to "hide" when I'm stressed, and when I'm in a houseful of talkative girls that means I wind up making less eye contact, fewer smiles, and less hugs. Now that I realize I'm doing it though, I've made an effort to make good eye conact and smile more - it does make a tremendous difference.

Sometimes I wish there was a 'mother school' to teach you this stuff before you have kids ...

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2005 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Oh...in reading Amy's post I realize I want to hide when stressed too. No wonder when the honey-do list gets really long I can't seem to find my dh in the house!

I found spending some alone time in adoration last week helped me greatly during a "more stressful than usual" week. I can't wait until they finish our prepetual adoration chapel.

Marybeth

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2005 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Marybeth wrote:

I found spending some alone time in adoration last week helped me greatly during a "more stressful than usual" week.

Marybeth,

This reminded of a recent example in my life of how powerful and spiritually refreshing spending time in adoration can be.

A few weeks ago during my holy hour, after I had prayed about my mothering, asking God for endurance and patience and the grace to grow and become the mother He wants me to be, I picked up the Bible and opened randomly to Colossians. My eyes fell on this:

"May you be strengthened with every power, in accord with His glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has made you fit to share in the inheritance of the holy ones in light." --Colossians 1: 10-11

Oh, God is so good. He really is just waiting for us to turn to Him with everything, isn't He?

I hope your adoration chapel is ready soon, too!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2005 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Karen,

Thank you for the powerful scripture reading. I am so blessed to have such a holy pastor. I can't wait until my family can spend an hour with our Lord each week.

I spent 4 years in college with adoration on Sunday evenings. It really set the tone for my week. I do find myself a bit restless on Sunday evenings lately. hmmmm....I wonder if God is preparing me for something!

Marybeth

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2005 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

The other day my girlfriend called me. She met a woman at her local library. They got to talking and realized they both homeschool. My girlfriend offered to bring her to our next homeschool meeting. The woman it turns out bought my old house app. 2 years ago. She told my girlfriend how peaceful my home was and how all my Catholic "stuff" spoke to her. She knew they had to buy it.

I am just stunned. My old house never really felt like home to me (my dh bought it about 5 years before we got married, and it was not my style.

I guess even when you don't think you are presenting a true gentle and loving home other people think you do.

Marybeth

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version