Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Weight Loss goals for 2008? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SharonO
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote SharonO

Maddie wrote:

Other comments: I HATE looking frumpy, I want to be a good example to my family and I want decent pictures of me for my children to remember me by. I hate avoiding the camera on holidays because of the extra weight I don't want a record of.

This is exactly why I'm motivated to get off this weight! We bought my daughter a digital camera for Christmas and she was taking pictures like crazy. I had to go in and delete most of the ones she took of me. I always hide my kids around me for family pictures so just my face is showing.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Random thoughts and comments, before the board closes for the evening....

So, let's see who is officially "in"

Chari in CA
Noreen in CT
Laura in AZ, soon to be NV
Sharon in MO
Bridget in MI
Caroline in CA, newly pregnant!
Krisann in NM
Tracy in VA
KC in TX
Patty in Ohio
Sally in TN
Shawna in CA (MY hometown )
Heidi in ??
Cindy B in NY
Maddie in MI
Robynn in CA

There are 16 of us......anyone who wants to join us, can join anytime.

I will do what I can to help keep us motivated here on the boards....but I need to, MUST, depend on all of you, to help as well. If a week goes by, and there is no post from someone, go for it, please post. Anything you can think of...

So, I think we should go with Bridget's recommendation of St. Gianna (is that a hard "g" or a soft "g"?)...she must have picked this saint because she was inspired...I like to go with inspiration.    It is a message from God

So, what do you all think of "Gianna's Gym"    All threads related to our "support group" would begin with this. Let me know if you think it is silly...and try to come up with something better.

We will use this thread for encouragement, commiseration and reporting.....and start new threads as needed for specific topics, so others can take part, too.

I have just started re-reading the OUTSMARTING book I mentioned in the first post or two. I will start a separate thread for that discussion.

Did you get a chance to read the article at this thread? I think you should all read it through, to see what our ultimate goals for exercise should be for our longterm health? REMEMBER, we need to start out SLOW...not give up because we cannot make it to the ultimate goal...whatever we do, WHATEVER, makes us healthier. Remember this!

Do any of you want a "phone partner"...just pm me and I will match you up. You can ask for this anytime, or set yourself up with one.

Don't forget to measure, get a baseline weight, and make sure your kitchen has the good food you need to make improvements. This by Monday, if possible!

Are you ready to start exercising on Monday? I'm not ... but, I am going to try...I mean, I am going to DO IT anyway. I have made an appt with myself to get on the treadmill every week day at 9:30am. That seems to be what will work best for me. Since I am reading aloud to the kids while I am on the treadmill...it is still "school" Can you make an appt with yourself for exercise during the week? Tell us what appt times you made. Write it on a note...and post it on the fridge or in a cupboard door, or in your planner, your calendar...

I just want to say thank so much for keeping me company in my misery I truly appreciate it. TRULY! One of the things I noticed was the nice blend of frequent board posters and less frequent posters....I think that is kind of cool.

I want to address a few individual comments on many of the posts in this thread, but I will have to write it tonight and post it on Sunday night, when the boards open, for me in the west. I need to to go do some organizing so my life will be more simple, so I can focus on my health ...or, walk down the hallway without tripping on anything

God bless our efforts,

Saint Gianna, pray for us!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I'm 6 months pregnant, so not thinking about losing weight necessarily....just not eating more than I need to.

But, just know I'm a silent cheerleader for y'all and praying for you! Please don't hesitate to PM me for extra prayers/sacrifices when you're struggling.

Sacrificing and offering up your food temptations for each other is really powerful!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

Dear Ladies!

Hats off to all of you! I would like to share my own story from last year as an inspiration. I had my last daughter, Lucy on October 17th of 2006, 2 days shy of my 38th birthday. I am only 5 feet tall and my last weight before Lucy was born was 169.5...way too much! (Imagine the sign "WIDE LOAD" hanging from my backside and you would have a pretty accurate picture!) I have some lower back issues and I was in a lot of pain by the end of that pregnancy. I was seriously thinking that I really was not sure that I would be able to carry another baby to term. I knew I was going to have to do something. I imagined myself telling our Lord that it would have been nice to have another baby, but I couldn't because I liked eating too much. (!) Thankfully, I was able to lose all the weight that I had gained with the pregnancy by January. I was down to 145, but that was still too much on my little frame. I was also a bit depressed because NONE of my clothes really fit me anymore. My darling husband took me shopping, which was even more depressing, because I hated how I looked in everything. However, instead of wallowing in my misery, we ended the shopping trip at Kohls, where I purchased some exercise clothes and a brand new pair of sneakers. And then I started walking...faithfully...45-60 minutes 5-6 times per week. Excruciatingly slowly, the weight started to come off, but by May, after busting my tail for nearly 4 months, I was only down 10 lbs and was getting really discouraged. So, after discussing it with my husband, I decided to buy the Nutrisystem diet. I am a very visual person and I wanted to see the "correct amount" of food that I should be eating. This was incredibly helpful to me. I finally began to lose the weight that I had been trying to lose for so long. I reached my goal weight loss of 33 lbs on August 2nd, our anniversary. (145 lbs to 112 lbs!) I went from wearing a size 14 petite down to fitting into a size 6 petite. When I started trying to lose weight, a size 10 seemed possible, a size 8, wishful thinking and a size 6 absurd! So, to the person who asked it is was reasonable to get back to their high school/college weight, I say heartily, "YES!!!" When my kids ask me how much weight I lost, I point to my 5 year old and say, I lost him!! As a side benefit, my husband, who is super supportive ended up losing nearly 20 lbs himself AND our food budget went down nearly $50 per month as a result of us eating less. (You can buy a lot of cute clothes and shoes with the extra $600!! Or you could save it, which would be far more prudent, but less fun!!)

KEEP WORKING!!! I know that there is nothing special about me or my genes or anything else that would make it possible for me to lose weight, but not you! I would love to be part of your list, if only to offer all of you encouragement and prayers! I promised my self that I would be healthier at 40 than I was at 30. Happily, I have been able to keep that promise. Please feel free to pm me if anyone would like to ask me any other questions.

In the meantime, there are many of us who are cheering you on and rooting for you! St. Gemma, pray for us!

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

What a great story, Lara.

Chari, I'm in Tennessee!

Sally

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 12:30am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Got you updated, Sally! Thank you!

Lara, that was a lot to write........we so appreciate you sharing your success story....and for being our cheerleader...and especially for your prayers.

I DID get on the treadmill AND got to Curves today...though what I REALLY and TRULY wanted to do was sleep. And, I ate more fruit and had at least one salad today...now, to see if I can actually play chauffer AND homeschool AND exercise AND eat right....all at the same time. I wish my heart were in this.....thanks for going along with me.

Did you get started today?

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I walked one mile yesterday, thanks to my husband's encouragement, he even walked with me!

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I have done nothing yet. We are SO busy! This is frustrating. Maybe I can get out to buy a scale today. I have never owned one. Some hard (painful) numbers would whip my brain into planning and doing.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

I'm back to tracking what I eat on ww.com. We've had colds and coughs and aren't feeling very well, so exercise has not been at the top of my list.    Maybe I'll be able to do Pilates for Weight Loss today.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

To all of you lovely ladies who say that you haven't been able to do anything yet, I would like to offer this challenge...you may not be able do an exercise video for an hour, get to Curves, or take a long walk outside. (CONGRATULATIONS IF YOU DID!!) But, here are somethings absolutely all of you can do with very little extra effort:

Drink one extra glass of water before one of your meals and choose to eat less of what your were originally going to eat. Example: if you were going to eat a pb and j for lunch, use 1 slice of bread instead of two. If you were going to have two chicken drumsticks at dinner, eat one instead. And, consider every act of self sacrifice a prayer. Ora et labora!

I promise you these small things will begin to add up. YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!! If you can think of yourself as a gift to others, perhaps that will help. When we give someone a present, we don't usually wrap it up in dirty, old newpapers. Rather, we find the prettiest paper and the prettiest bows, because we know that the outward appearance of what we are giving says a lot to the person on the receiving end!

So one last thing that all of you can do today is to do one thing to "wrap yourselves up in something pretty:" put on some fun earrings, pull out some funky lipstick, paint your nails, take 15 minutes and curl your hair. Everyone can do something!!!

From my childhood, I remember the phrase: Your life is your gift from God...what you make of your life is your gift to Him. God made you beautiful...please let that be your motivation.

Peace and prayers!

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Thanks for the encouragement, Lara!

My husband and I have been walking daily for the past several days -- it's a blessing to have his teaching schedule arranged so that he's home in the afternoons for a while before going off to teach at night. We walk for 45 minutes to an hour. I FEEL so much better when I'm moving, if nothing else.

And as Lara suggests, I'm trying to drink more water.

Go team!

Sally

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

Well, this is great! I had made a New Year's resolution to lose weight and now I don't have to go it alone! Thanks, Chari for setting this up and the inspiration.

Goal: 36 lbs. (three pounds a month for a year, and another 36 next year)
Exercise:walking. I've measured some distances around the neighborhood. It's .6 miles around the block and I have managed this three times so far.
Diet changes: I've tried a lot of diets with minimal success. Frankly, I like to eat with my kids but no longer have that teenage metabolism! So I am now on what a friend once called "The Catholic Diet". Basically fast day fare--two small meals, one regular meal and NO SNACKS!!! It's going okay so far.
Physical symtoms: sore knees and iffy back.

Shari
mom to six--24 to 8
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

I have been eating well. I find, now that I am on day 3, that much of the desire for junk has gone away. The first 2 days are the hardest for me.

Back to Top View NavyMom's Profile Search for other posts by NavyMom Visit NavyMom's Homepage

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

Back to Top View NavyMom's Profile Search for other posts by NavyMom Visit NavyMom's Homepage

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

I bought a scale last week. Have been trying to just pay attention to what goes on my plate, and have been remembering to take my diabetes meds!

cathochick
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote cathochick

Overall weight-loss goals: Get down to goal weight (~145, currently I am 190) by the end of this summer so we can try for baby number three.

Exercise plans for yourself: I want to start walking three to four times a week and doing my exercise video on days I don't walk.

Dietary changes you see your self making: Already started. I've been on Weight Watchers since mid-October.

Physical symptoms currently suffering, and looking for improvement: Sluggish, no energy, generally uncomfortable in my own skin.

Any other comments: I'm combining bits of Nourishing Traditions and bits of French Women Don't Get Fat with the Weight Watchers points program.

Mom to Dom 9, and Joe 5.
The Dominican Bungalow
Back to Top View cathochick's Profile Search for other posts by cathochick Visit cathochick's Homepage

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

cathochick wrote:

I'm combining bits of Nourishing Traditions and bits of French Women Don't Get Fat with the Weight Watchers points program.

Is French Women Don't get fat good? What is it all about? I saw it in an airport once and it looked intriguing. What parts are you using?

tracym
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote tracym

I have done my tread mill 3 days this week and last week we went to the park and walked 3 different days. I am increasing my water. I am trying to watch what I eat but the last few days have not done to well.

theNetSmith
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote theNetSmith

Overall weight-loss goals: 30 lbs

Exercise plans for yourself: jogging and lifting weights 2-3 times per week

Dietary changes you see yourself being forced by your wife to make: cut down on junk food at work, healthier dinners and smaller portions, fewer soft drinks

Physical symptoms currently suffering, and looking for improvement: lack of energy

Any other comments: I made the assumption that I could join -- hope that's ok. Here to give and receive support -- not here to judge anyone but myself.

-T

Pray and forgive.
-Mother Theresa
Back to Top View theNetSmith's Profile Search for other posts by theNetSmith Visit theNetSmith's Homepage

cathochick
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote cathochick

NavyMom wrote:
Is French Women Don't get fat good? What is it all about? I saw it in an airport once and it looked intriguing. What parts are you using?

I really like it. It's just very common sense. I'm trying to start my morning with a glass of water and drink water throughout the day, especially before meals. I'm using her "can you live with half of what's on your plate?" idea. More in a bit.

Mom to Dom 9, and Joe 5.
The Dominican Bungalow
Back to Top View cathochick's Profile Search for other posts by cathochick Visit cathochick's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version