Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Our 2008 Book List Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 15 2008 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote cfa83

Hello everyone! Cfa83's daughter here again. I finally got a account because I figured it wasn't fair to my mom to keep stealing hers...but it hasn't been approved yet, so I'm 'borrowing' her's yet again!

*sighs* My favorite subject...books. I think if I put all the books I've ever read, in my room, I'd be buried alive!

Oy. But trying to remember what I've read lately is hard, but here goes...

As to the Josh Harris books, I love him! He is one of my favorite authors in that era, not only because his writing is a window in to a guy's mind, but because he writes so well, makes perfect sense and is very admirable in his descions.

I must say, that Boy Meets Girl: Say Hello to Courtship was the first book of his I read. I got it at a homeschool store in Huston, and they didn't have I Kissed Dating Goodbye. I read it and loved it. So much so, that 'Dating Goodbye' actually disappointed me, compared with the former!

I absolutely loved Josh and Shannon's (his wife) story of how they met - both individually praying as hard as they could that if the feelings they both felt for each other weren't God's Will, for Him to take them away -, their slow but sweet and chaste courtship and finally mariage.

Working my way through the Complete Works of Jane Austen, which is and will, be enjoyable. I'll have to check out those Mr. Darcy stories; I've already heard from a friend that they are good.

Anything with him in it is bound to be.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2008 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

amyzkids8 wrote:
Love the suggestions so far.

I highly recommend the Kristin Lavransdatter trilogy - get the edition translated by Tinna Nunnelly - much easier to follow and her historical notes are helpful. I have read these twice and loved them more the second time.

Amy, Mom to 8

I read most of this last fall, but lost interest partway through the 3rd book. I really need to go back and finish it before I forget everything that happened.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2008 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I've recently finished Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, continuing my exploration of Jules Verne's works - loved it, way better than the Disney movie (which I'd always liked)
I'm almost done with Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns. I've had it for years; it was my mama's book and I got it when she passed, but never read it until I happened to see an audio version, so I've been listening to it while I knit and enjoying it. It's a slice of life in rural Ga in about 1910 - very interesting.

I've been reading The Five Little Peppers and How They grew aloud to the kids, but it's really more for me - it was one of my favorite childhood books. I have seen one sequel in the last couple years and just found out there are actually 12 books about the Peppers!

I'm re-reading Sense and Sensibility for the online book club, and just finished Patrick O'Brian's Post Captain for another.

I also just finished Left to Tell by Immaculee Ibiglazia (I know I got that last name wrong!) - it was awesome and I plan to have ds15 read it later this year, as we're doing 20th century history (with Sonlight) and I think that would be a good addition.

Karen T

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Where is everyone??

I just finished C.S. Lewis's space trilogy, which I highly recommend! Also finished Cold Sassy Tree by Olivia Ann burns, which I loved, but didn't care much for the sequel, b/c the author died partway through and there is too much unfinished.

I'm also reading Saintly Solutions about how the saints have dealt with various problems such as impatience, anger, gluttony, etc. Very good read.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I finally got to read a real book last week! I was stuck in Atlanta's icky airport long enough to read Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan cover to cover. Perfect book to set the mood for this year's Olympics. It has been awhile since I've read an Amy Tan book but I liked this one better than what I remember of a few of her others, not as much turmoil between the mothers and the daughters and a nice handling of dementia/alzheimers to boot.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Pillarclimber
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 03 2008 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Pillarclimber

I have been reviewing several books lately from Catholic authors/bloggers and wanted to share a few here for the moms on this list:

One is:
The Heart of Motherhood, by Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle
http://acatholicmumclimbingthepillars.blogspot.com/2008/09/b ook-review-heart-of-motherhood-by.html

Another book that I facilitated a moms' book discussion on it called, The Authentic Catholic Woman, by Genevieve Keneke

Back to Top View Pillarclimber's Profile Search for other posts by Pillarclimber

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2008 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I have recently read The Temperament God Gave You which has been a real insight to me, since dh and I are currently struggling. Now I'm reading the sequel The Temperament God Gave Your Spouse which is pretty good, too.

I'm also re-reading Pride and Prejudice, and in the middle of Vanity Fair, one of those classics I missed and thought I should read. but I don't care for it at all and may not finish it. I just started George MacDonald's The Princess and the Goblin and plan to read it to dd soon.
And finally, am about halfway through HMS Surprise, the 3rd book in the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin series, which is wonderful.

Rumpleteazer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro
"Cormac"

Posted: Oct 06 2008 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote Rumpleteazer

Recent reads have been:

Belinda by Hilaire Belloc, which was simply delightful. Extremely humorous and extremely sweet.

The Path to Rome by Hilaire Belloc. Chari, thanks so much for letting me borrow it! It was such a wonderful read, and if you hadn't lent it to me I imagine I would have had to wait until I could get it for Christmas.

Literary Converts and Old Thunder, both by Joseph Pearce. The former one was a really nice introduction to the more obscure Catholic writers of the past century.

War and Peace by Tolstoy. So many different angles to ponder on that one. When my older brother is home for Thanksgiving break I'll have to get his thoughts on it.

Currently reading:
St. Francis of Assisi by Chesterton
and my grandfather's old journals from medical school

I have waiting for me at the library Jesus of Nazareth by our current Holy Father, The Exploration of the Alps by Arnold Lunn, and Giant by Edna Ferber (which I think I requested with the intention of trying to make more sense of the film, but have since lost interest in... I'll probably skim through it at least, though).

Karen T wrote:
And finally, am about halfway through HMS Surprise, the 3rd book in the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin series, which is wonderful.

Oooh! I love the Aubrey-Maturin series! I read the first two books, and have been a little scared to find out what happens next. I think Maturin is too good for Diana, and Sophie too good for Aubrey.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2008 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Rumpleteazer wrote:

Oooh! I love the Aubrey-Maturin series! I read the first two books, and have been a little scared to find out what happens next. I think Maturin is too good for Diana, and Sophie too good for Aubrey.

I think I would agree on that assessment! I am still not farther than 1/2 through *HMS Surprise*, not my own fault but the group that I'm doing a read-along with is going slowly. I'm waiting for them to catch up before I finish the book and get on to the next one. It's so delicious to find a nice series with lots of books still left to read. *Surprise* is definitely a different turn than the first two books; I think you'll like it, though.

While I've been agonizingly waiting to read further in that book, I've satisfied my dreams of the tall ships and rough seas by watching most of the Horatio Hornblower movies from our library - lots to swoon over in those movies!

Karen T

Rumpleteazer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro
"Cormac"

Posted: Oct 11 2008 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote Rumpleteazer

I'm three chapters into Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI, and simply blown away. It's amazing. It's so profound, so full of thoughts that have never even vaguely occurred to me. I'm astounded and awed. What a dream come true it would be to meet this wonderful Holy Father... when my German's a wee bit better.

Karen T wrote:
While I've been agonizingly waiting to read further in that book, I've satisfied my dreams of the tall ships and rough seas by watching most of the Horatio Hornblower movies from our library - lots to swoon over in those movies!

How fun! I'm very much into the 'romance of the sea.' Sea-faring tales are some of my favorites. While the Master and Commander film was very enjoyable and well-done, I'm hoping that someone, perhaps the BBC, will put together a detailed mini-series of the Aubrey-Maturin books.

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2008 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Finally finished another book: A Real Boy: A True Story of Autism, Early Intervention, and Recovery by Christina Adams. A memoir, not an informational book or how-to, but it gave me things to think about as a parent wondering whether and where her child fits "on the spectrum."

Recovery is apparently a controversial word when it comes to autism, but the author also seemed to have a "spectrum" view of what constitutes recovery, and to be able to see the positive qualities that often seem to come bundled with the challenges autistic people face.

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 12 2008 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Karen T wrote:
I've been reading The Five Little Peppers and How They grew aloud to the kids, but it's really more for me - it was one of my favorite childhood books. I have seen one sequel in the last couple years and just found out there are actually 12 books about the Peppers!

I just picked this book up for $0.50 and am looking forward to reading it with my girls as soon as we finish the Little House books...if they're not interested, I'm still going to read it. :) Another kids' book I picked up for $0.25, but read myself was Bill Peet: An Autobiography I mean, how many autobiographies win a Caldecott Honor? I AM working on a couple of "grown-up" books...I just haven't finished them, yet.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2008 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Stephanie, I loved reading Bill Peet's autobiography a few years ago! We loved all his books when ds15 was much younger, but for some reason they don't appeal quite as much to my other kids, so we only get them occasionally from the library.

Recent reading for me has been George MacDonald's Lilith, Phantastes, The Princess and the Goblin and now am reading The Princess and Curdie to the kids. I also read C.S. Lewis'sTill We Have Faces, which is what led me to Lilith, etc (I've been on a Lewis/MacDonald/Tolkien reading kick this year it seems) Oh, also just read "Leaf by Niggle" a Tolkien short story.
Have just started Mere Christianity by Lewis. I'd started it a few years ago and didn't finish it so am trying again. I'm going to try and get through all of Lewis's books over the next year, the ones I haven't read.

Also read
For Better, Forever by Gregory Popcak (very good).

Karen T

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Stephanie_Q wrote:
Our library finally got Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza. I read it cover to cover on Sunday (my DH took the kids outside to play all afternoon and let me finish it after dinner; he even put the kids to bed!)

Karen T wrote:
I also just finished Left to Tell by Immaculee Ibiglazia (I know I got that last name wrong!) - it was awesome and I plan to have ds15 read it later this year, as we're doing 20th century history (with Sonlight) and I think that would be a good addition.

I just finished Left to Tell.
Started last night and couldn't put it down. (I cooked dinner tonight with the book in one hand and stirring dinner with the other!)   

AMAZING book!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

The Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Pie Society

I just found this one at the library and loved it- maybe my favorite book in years. It's set in 1946 London and tells the story of how a female writer comes to know the people and stories of the island of Guernsey, which was occupied by the Germans during WWII. It's written as a series of letters.

It was a perfect Advent read for me- making me count my blessings and see humor and hope in all situations. It made me laugh and cry- it tells several love stories, several sad stories, many amazing stories. My grandfather came from Helgaland, also a Channel Island, so I fond it even more interesting. This one could also be a good read for older children studying WWII.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Melinda I'll add that one to my list - I have definitely never heard of it and it sounds intriguing!

I finished Mere Christianity last week and started The Pilgrim's Regress and have The Great Divorce on its way in the mail (paperback swap.com - I told y'all I was on a Lewis streak!

However, last night I finished a wonderful book, well I read the entire thing last night actually    I am always looking for good series for ds15 to read b/c he has re-read the LOTR trilogy, the HP books, the Redwall series and the Eragon books over and over so many times. Someone had recommended Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series but I was a little wary b/c of the title (and the fact that it was presented on one board as an alternative to the Twilight books

Our library has none of the books except as audio but it was checked out. I happened to see them at Border's this past weekend and bought the first one Over Sea and Under Stone intending to give it to ds for Christmas but I wanted to skim it first and be sure it was OK. I got hooked in it and stayed up late to finish it, and was so excited by it that I gave it to him today! (maybe he'll get the rest of the series for Christmas). I really enjoyed it and I think even my 8.5 yo ds will like hearing it read aloud (he doesn't read well enough to read it himself yet) - I would say it's good for about 8 and up but isn't too juvenile for teens.

Oh, I'm also reading Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shay.

Karen T

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Melinda,

I am going to have to read that book, a couple of days ago our librarian was telling me how much she had loved it. I love this kinds of coincidences!

I am currently reading The Book Thief. It is not a happy book but it is such an original story that I can't put it down.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Natalia wrote:
Melinda,

I am going to have to read that book, a couple of days ago our librarian was telling me how much she had loved it. I love this kinds of coincidences!

I am currently reading The Book Thief. It is not a happy book but it is such an original story that I can't put it down.

Oh, I hope you and Chari both read it. I would love to hear what you think. Can't spoil the ending, but... *sigh*....

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

OK, you convinced me. I just reserved it at the library - there is 1 copy available at another library so I should have it in a few days. Can't wait to read it!
Karen

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Karen T wrote:
OK, you convinced me. I just reserved it at the library - there is 1 copy available at another library so I should have it in a few days. Can't wait to read it!
Karen

I hope you like it! OK- I have to raz you- I accidentally clicked on the 2006 booklist thread, and there was a post from you about how you never did like Jane Austen . Times change, don't they?   
I always knew you would like P&P. I am planning to watch the BBC version again, since over Thanksgiving with my crazy family I was reminded yet again that I married a modern day Mr. Darcy.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version