Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What is your theme for the year? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I thought this was such a good idea that Rachel suggested in the simplicity thread. I have given this a lot of thought and am still in the thinking phase . I think I will have more than one.

My sarcastic, cynical theme is Survivor, everyday will be a challenge and I am just hoping to win immunity.

Survival is part of why I am trying to simplify my life this year. I know it is going to be tough with dh gone, I count on him a lot.

So anyone have some nice grown up words or themes to share?

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Hmm... "Survivor" sounds apropo... I'm still working on one...

It has something to do with latching cabinets, gating us into the living room with new baby (while 15 month old baby has set parameters...), and lowering our expectations for a few months...

Although I do have some other goals that my idealistic self keeps trying to throw in the mix -- but my practical self keeps throwing them out!!

But... I still have 15 more hours until New Year's to develop a theme!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote Martha

carpe deim

I'm just hoping to seize one day at a time.
I tend to plan well, which is nice.
It is also very true that life is what happens while we are planning for it.
So I'm trying to plan well, but with an eye towards that planning to center around taking advantage of good in each day and making the most of it.

I will not miss a chance to play and chat with my kids for laundry, which should have been done, was done, and yet some alien country is dropping it into my laundry room every night, and if that's the way it is and always will be - then by golly I'm gonna go play once in while and let it wait. Neither will I miss it for all those other things that seem to need my attention, but should not come first.

I will insist on being consistant with disciplining the kids. I've been far too nice and it shows. I will not give umpteen warnings. I will actually DO something and no amount of screaming hissy fits or company watching will discourage me. Note that the only company I should have for a while should be good friends of common sense who love and understand and have had their own children pull same phases of attitudes.

And I will not buy books...

And I will remember sugar is the enemy of my backside.

And I will not let what I want in life keep me from enjoying what I have in life.

And I will focus more on my family because in a few short years my family will no longer be growing in this house, they will be leaving and I want them to have fond memories they crave returning to visit to share with me in my old age. Preferably with grandbabies in tow. I will remember these are times of great blessings, not burdens to be gotten through.

So that's my theme if one can call that a theme.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Well, I have been mulling this over. What I have been thinking of making my overall theme isn't terribly clever, and I am hopeful I can keep it going. I am borrowing from Jeff Cavin's Great Adventure Bible study. He must have revised his Bible study, because I can't find the old one I have from ?7 years ago.

I have been wanting to beef up my Bible study, so I decided to combine it all in my "Great Adventure" year.
I will work through different areas of the house each month, and the Bible too. So, based very loosely on Jeff Cavin's study, here is what I have:

(Oh, and I am going to watch his video to get myself motivated, too. I need all the help I can get! )

January (Let there be light)
My room of the month is going to be the basement, the foundation of our house, the beginning, so to speak, like Genesis. I am planning on relocating our school room down there, so I have my work cut out for me.
Readings will be slow, just one chapter a day (I figure it will take a three year cycle to get all the way through the OT, but at least I will be getting there!)
My reading will also include one gospel a month, so I will read one chapter from St. Matthew a day, and work through all the gospels, adding in Psalms for the days not covered each month.
OK, so my basement needs lots of tlc. Painting and more light fixtures to bring in enough light.

February (Romance and Love):
the master bedroom and bath (St. Valentine's day is my inspiration, and I will read one chapter from Song of Soloman before I begin my chapters in St. Mark.)
The master bath needs painting, but otherwise, just some decluttering and deep cleaning. February is a very stressful month for dh, (tax time) so I am going to work on doing as much as I can to lighten his load and make something special happen each day (special lunches, snacks, whatever.)

March (Easter, Spring and Ds#3 turns 13):
Painting and deep cleaning/reorganizing dss bedroom (ds 12yo and 9yo share a room.) Freshening their quarters is the plan.
Reading will be from St. Luke. Will finally finish Genesis and on to Exodus.
Planning on lots of outdoor activities, rain/snow/shine.

April (DS#1 turns 20, more Spring and still seeking an inspirational title!, as I will for the rest of the months!):
Deep cleaning littler dss room (6yo and 3yo share.)
Reading St. John and Exodus.

May (Ds#4 turns 10!, Mother Mary, 23rd Anniv., Ds#1 comes home from college):
Deep cleaning oldest dss' room (19 and 17yo share.) There is a need for painting here, too.
Reading Acts, finishing Exodus, and beginning Leviticus.
I will be out in the garden, too.

June (Ds#6 turns 4, Summer):
cleaning out the garage and yardwork
Reading one chapter from Romans and 1 Cor., finishing Lev. and moving on to Numbers.
Lots of hikes and outdoor activities.

July (4th of July, camping, swimming):
Back to the basement, as I will anticipate the coming school year, making notes for what we will need, and planning lessons. Plus, I am sure deep cleaning will be required!)
Back to reading from St. Matthew (I am going through the gospels twice this year. Just feel the need.)
Also continuing Numbers.
Hope to have a vacation planned for this month, too.

August (Back to school for everyone-#1ds will be moving into an apartment for the first time, #2ds will be a senior, and the little guys will be joining their older brothers in scholarly pursuits.):
Cleaning focus will be all of the bathrooms in the house. Dss' bathroom needs some painting and sprucing up. Will be making plans for renovating half bath.
Reading from St. Mark, finishing Numbers, and beginning Deuteronomy.

September (Fall and ?):
Focus of the month will be the kitchen! Needs lots of work, painting, deep cleaning, and getting it ready for the cozy months to follow.
Reading from St. Luke, finish Deut. and starting Joshua.

October (Ds#2 turns 18!):
Deep cleaning in living room and dining room. Painting the living room and bottom of dining room wall (top is a lovely appley green.) This is where we have been schooling, but since we use the table for every meal, it makes it difficult, plus it is in view of front door, and I have been tired of the papers in everyone's sight, so hence the "exodus" to the basement.
Reading St. John, finishing Joshua, and on to Judges.

November (Ds#5 turns 7, Thanksgiving, Advent preparations):
Into the family room (our catchall for toys, where "play station" happens, fireplace sitting, stereo and music.) Definitely a painting project, but otherwise not much needs to be done, except a little decluttering and cleaning.
Reading will move into NT books of 2 Cor., Gal., Eph, and Phil., plus finishing Judges and starting Ruth.

December (Advent/Christmas/Winter):
Back to the basement for clearing out the Christmas items to bring upstairs, cleaning, decluttering, reorganizing, evaluating,and planning for 2009!
Reading through Col., 1 Thes., 2 Thes., 1 Tim., 2 Tim., Titus/ Philemon, plus finish Ruth and start 1 Sam.

So, I only have a theme of the month for three of the months. But, I do have a plan for reading and cleaning, which is more than I have done in the past. Maybe having it written out in front of me will keep me focused, also having just one major area to work on instead of jumping around will help.

I am looking forward to reading everyone else's ideas! More inspiration, as I am not a very creative person!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI

Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

My theme for the year: simplicity.
See...I've started already. Even my theme is simple.

I really LOVE this quote from Martha, above:

"I will not let what I want in life keep me from enjoying what I have in life." Beautiful!

But for me and my clutter I could also change it to read, "I will not let what I HAVE in life keep me from enjoying what I have in life."

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

tracym
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote tracym

I have been reading all these threads with interest. I agree with many that we also want a more simpler life and decluttering has a long way to go in my house. I think we may try a theme this year. I am calling it "Healthy Habits". We want to change how we eat, take care of the house, increase our prayer life, be kinder to one another and be more careful with our budget. We'll see how it works. But I am grateful that these threads have really gotten me thinking about the changes I want to make and not just to say for the new year "I want to lose 20 lbs." or whatever. But also the steps we will take to start these changes. Thanks.

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote Lorri

Change

We're probably going to be buying/building a house.

We might add to our family.

It's going to be a bumpy ride!

Back to Top View Lorri's Profile Search for other posts by Lorri

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

JOY - I am going to make a real effort to "joy in the Lord" to smile and to dance with joy everyday. I am not feeling over joyful - but maybe it will come if I act joyful. My baby helped me reach this - i have been a little depressed - but yesterday broke into a song while changing Michael - and he just smiled and laughed and was such a bundle of happiness just because his mama sang. Makes me feel bad about being so stressed out and the effect it has on my kids. I am going to put on a cd each morning and have a wild dance!!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I'm with Marilyn... my theme will be " Joyful Abundance"

As I pare down and declutter our household belongings, I am asking the Lord to fill up our lives with joy and an abundance of health, friendship and love.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Peace.

To continue to cultivate a peaceful heart, to be a peaceful presence for my family. I rely heavily on Our Blessed Mother for counsel in this. She has been a beautiful shoulder for me this past year.

My hope is to have a peaceful home, and so de-cluttering figures prominently in my plans too. I know a simpler home would go far in bringing my dear husband peace.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I am glad my friend Dana's idea has inspired so many
Mine is Simple, Beautiful... and I blogged about it

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

tracym wrote:
I am calling it "Healthy Habits". We want to change how we eat, take care of the house, increase our prayer life, be kinder to one another and be more careful with our budget.

Ooohhh, I like that! We could definitely use some "Healthy Habits" over here, too.

For us, we are so, so looking forward to bringing our daughter home that's about all we can think about. Oh, and a possible move back to Ohio!!! We hope to have answers to both in the early part of the New Year. Here's to im-patiently waiting!

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2007 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

I plan to live this year with intention. Meaning I will try to have an intent in all I do -- spending money with intention (shopping with a list for EVERYTHING and not spending $50 in Target on "good deals" for instance); eating with intention (paying attention to the food that goes in my mouth); starting my day with intention (getting back to "to-do" lists and accomplishing the tasks on them!); etc.

I feel that too many days become frittered away with going through the motions. I want to look back on 2008 and see that we've accomplished much as a family because of our intentional efforts -- and not because things just happened. I'm not sure if I'm making enough sense writing it out right now, but it makes sense in my head

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

My theme of the year is "Abiding in Him." In walking and conversing with Him all else will flow: simplicity, peace, joy, relief of stress, etc.

So far this week, I have been able to have daily 1 hr. prayer times. This has set such a wonderful tone to my day. Now, I just have to keep this up :)

Blessings,
Julia
mom of 3(8,6,4)
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Joyful service.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

"Lost"...

As in: Weight; ideas that are not working; obstacles to holiness; bad habits; clutter; excuses; bad attitudes...

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I like it.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I have a very "s" intensive theme . I blogged it here....
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Contentment.

Content with the blessings I have.    Content to just survive for awhile. Content to let a few things go and enjoy my children.   Be content with the simple pleasures gifted in the every-day.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Laureen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Laureen

This spring alone will bring two new grandbabies, a First Communion, a Confirmation, a cross-country graduation roadtrip, and a kitchen remodel...I am feeling weary...but, I'm very excited...SO

For 2008...I am working on...

1.) REFRESHING THE MAMA...weekly Adoration time alone, weekly date night, earlier bedtime that allows for the nighttime parenting littles #7 & #8 need...more salad, less chocolate...at least more salad...lots of sipping yummy teas...saying YES when older daughters offer their assistance, and asking for it when they don't...

2.) REFOCUSING THE HOMEMAKING...The fun of using what we all ready have (cookbooks, fabrics and yarns, beautiful papers, books)...continual, joyful decluttering...more breadmaking, more homemade meals...

3.) AND for the children...more SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON days and fewer THE PIRATES WHO DON'T DO ANYTHING days...More teepees, less tempers...KINDNESS

I am grateful for all the inspiration I receive through all of you!

Blessings,
Laureen in Virginia,
wife to Todd, 25 yrs.
Mama to Zac (24) & Heather, Joseph & Mackenzie (20), Eliza (17), Olivia (14), Zane (11), Elaine Grace (almost 8), Max (5), Zelie (16 months)...Nana to Genevieve (20 months) and Charlotte Anne (18 months)...and two more on the way!!       

Back to Top View Laureen's Profile Search for other posts by Laureen

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version