Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Movie List 2008 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 17 2008 at 4:27am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I've just finished watching Bleak House, simply excellent!!! I discovered it on youtube actually, it is about 45 10min segments and my oldest daughter and I enjoyed it over a few nights - this is based on Charles Dickens novel and I wish I could watch it again for the first time, I delighted in it so much!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2008 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

aussieannie wrote:
I've just finished watching Bleak House, simply excellent!!! I discovered it on youtube actually, it is about 45 10min segments and my oldest daughter and I enjoyed it over a few nights - this is based on Charles Dickens novel and I wish I could watch it again for the first time, I delighted in it so much!

We liked this one, too. My husband uses the excuse "but I'm just a child..." all the time now!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2008 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

This really surprised me, as I am incredibly bored with action movies and hate having to prescreen them for the kids.

But we watched Iron Man over the weekend and I was incredibly impressed!

Except for two scenes (the bedroom scene with the reporter, and the joke between Tony Stark and Rhodes... plus the violent stuff that we tend to forward through anyway...) I really liked the Christian message, where in the first part of the movie Stark is successful but his life is full of fleeting pleasures and fame... and in the second part after getting a second chance at life he finally finds a purpose, and wants to do what's right. Even my dh can't believe I'm actually recommending this movie -- my first answer when he asked if we could watch it when it first came out was NO WAY and NO WAY would I allow that DVD in our home. I am happy to be wrong in this case.

PS There are a few more scenes I remembered -- the opening scene where Stark was asked about women, and a couple more scenes with cuss words... I just wanted to make sure I mentioned that in case someone watches it with their kids -- so you know what to look out for. I still would recommend a thorough pre-screening.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2008 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

stefoodie wrote:
my first answer when he asked if we could watch it when it first came out was NO WAY and NO WAY would I allow that DVD in our home. I am happy to be wrong in this case.

lol! me too! dh watched it with my three oldest kids, and he had the same reservations about the same scenes as you. I know that he forwarded through some parts. but it offered lots of discussion and they all enjoyed it. I did not watch it, but now kind of wish I did...

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2008 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

SuzanneG wrote:

I Confess This has been on my list for YEARS, and we finally watched it....It's SO GREAT! And, the extras on Hitchcock on Special Features is really fascinating.

I think I must get this movie ASAP. Three days ago I had never heard of it. Two days ago, Faith and Familly magazine had a brief mention of it; it sounded good. That same night, at a meeting about First Penance and First Communion for my younger kids, our pastor mentioned the same movie and my ears perked up. Then today I find this message in my inbox about it! I'll have to find it!

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

I just watched 84 Charing Cross Road with dh last night. It was excellent!

If you love literature, especially English literature you will love this movie!

Dh picked it up from the library saying "Well it looks like a Donna-movie" (his way of saying chick flick ).
But he liked it too.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

We watched An Ideal Husband earlier this week for the first time. What an excellent movie! Oscar Wilde always has the best lines...Rupert Everett really plays his part well and Cate Blanchett as his wife is a delight. One of the reviewers said that together the cast creates an effervescent champagne of a film which I agree with full heartedly.
There are a few bed/kissy scenes, nothing too visually shocking though for a pg-13. Same goes for the next movie as well.

The other great movie we spent the week watching was Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, otherwise known as the eternity version. Nothing was cut, it is the only full 100% version of Hamlet out there, I guess and wow! Is it visually stunning, so very exciting, it kept us on the edge of the settee for two nights straight! Mom has a Shakespeare minor to go with her English degree and I have slept through more videos of Shakespeare than you can shake a stick at. So while Richard Burton may have been the be all and end all of the time or Mel Gibson later on, they were all so dismal and dark and old I never could even keep track of who was who, at least at the end of this version I could identify the key players and feel some sorrow at their demise! I actually know who Rosencranz and Guildenstern are now! (Laurence Olivier cut them out of his version, you know) Maybe I need to watch Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead now.
Anybody viewed it?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 27 2008 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

marihalojen wrote:
Maybe I need to watch Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead now.
Anybody viewed it?

When I was a Junior is H.S. we read then watched "Hamlet", and "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" along with "Waiting for Godot". I've seen "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" once since then. I recall that it was quite cleverly done.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Thanks Stephanie! All three of us are really into witty movies right now. I think I will bump "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" to the top of my list now.   

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 05 2008 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Since my dh started working a second job, I updated our Netflix list to include some movies from the Ignatius Films catalog, particularly foreign films that he has a hard time getting into.

Nevertheless, he wanted me to wait to finish The Flowers of Saint Francis.
We really liked Bernadette and are looking forward to The Passion of Bernadette.
Andrei Rublev was one I had to watch twice to get it all.
The Tree of Wooden Clogs was good, with a sad ending.
I really liked Diary of a Country Priest.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2009 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Weighing in here with the last of our 2008 movies and then I'll start a 2009 thread. Anyone have any other 2008 movies to list???

I've LOVED hearing about what everyone's watching and what you recommend. Thanks for taking the time to post here this year everyone!

stefoodie wrote:
We watched Iron Man over the weekend and I was incredibly impressed!   I really liked the Christian message, where in the first part of the movie Stark is successful but his life is full of fleeting pleasures and fame... and in the second part after getting a second chance at life he finally finds a purpose, and wants to do what's right.

We watched this this past week and we both enjoyed it!!! It's a good movie!!   

stefoodie wrote:
Except for two scenes (the bedroom scene with the reporter, and the joke between Tony Stark and Rhodes    

And, let's not forget about the airplane-pole-d*ncing-scene. These two scenes were completely uneccessary.   

donnalynn wrote:
I just watched 84 Charing Cross Road with dh last night. It was excellent!   If you love literature, especially English literature you will love this movie!

Loved it!!! Thanks for the recommendation, Donna!

The Happening by the same director as Signs....but not as good. It's riveting at the beginning....but it doesn't go anywhere or have any conclusion (that I understood anyway). But, dh and I talked about it for several days, so maybe it WAS good.           

The Holiday This is a great chic-flic-christmas-movie!!!! I can't believe I haven't seen this before.   Ranks right up there with When You Were Sleeping

We went on early-american-history movie binge in November and re-watched:
The Patriot (which is much harder to watch now that I'm a mommy )
The Crossing
Washington the Warrior
Benedict Arnold: A Question of Honor

I also found this thread in the archives that some of you may want to see:

American History through DVD Lots of great recommendations here!

The Other Bolyen Girl I wasn't impressed.

Flicka with the kids.

And, of course, re-watching a few Christmas Movies!!!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version