Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Movie List 2008 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Suzanne......we loved Sweet Land! We watched it when Willa's kids were here in Nov.

Cay, the last time I saw a movie in the theater with my husband............Sarah was a baby (she turned 15yrs on Friday) and it was a Star Trek flick......not that I CARED about seeing it.......but went becuase he was going with me!

We have been/are (as I sit here hacking) sick........we have been watching a lot of movies.

Becoming Jane....it is okay.........I would have preferred a British actress to play Jane over an American one pretending and often forgetting her accent. It is not totally accurate.......but most of it is. Worth wacthing at least once.

Sweeney Todd....I am sort of embarrassed to admit I saw this, on the big screen even. Leaving out the gory part and ALL THAT blood (which I mostly missed hiding part of the screen behind my coat), I liked the music and the acting. Johhny Depp can sing. Sondheim has the weirdest taste....but I knew that going in. I was dragged there by a teen of mine who needed to do an "experiment" for her psych class in a public bathroom..........too bad that part did not pan out. We wanted to see something else, but this was all we could find.

Persuasion (1971)....horrible version.....blech

Persuasion .....better, with Ciaran Hinds as the Captain....more tolerable, but still a bit imperfect. The book is almost always better.

Broadway Bill--old Frank Capra film........fair....a young Myrna Loy

The Mysteries of Egypt: The Pharaohs---not very well done

You Can't Take It With You ---with Jimmy Stewart, another Frank Capra.....very fun!

Freedom Writers---about a class in a Los Angeles gang environment. Based on true story........very good movie ....NOT for kids......and only for certain teens wyou feel can handle this. I had two.

Jeeves and Wooster: Season 1: Disc 1 .....I wanted to see how this went after I read the first PG Wodehouse book last year. The kids love it.......so, we have also watched:

Jeeves and Wooster: Season 1: Disc 2..........and another 3 seasons to go.

A Countess from Hong Kong.......old movie with Marlon Brando & Sophia Loren.......the "divorce thing" caught us by surprise.

Holiday .....old movie with Cary Grant & Katherine Hepburn. It was okay.......not one of their funnier ones.

The Mysteries of Egypt: IMAX--excellent..........especially on our brand new big screen (for us!) flat TV.....a gift from my dad. It was like flying down the Nile...........the kids and I are looking forward to more IMAX movies on this TV.

Since I was so sick today, I watched the BBC Pride and Prejudice. It was so fun................I just LOVE that movie.

See Stephanie......you are not the only one wasting time watching movies

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 22 2008 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

teachingmom wrote:
How funny to see you just posted this! I came here to recommend The Inn of the Sixth Happiness after we watched it as a family this past weekend. Everyone loved it!

. . . .

And I just put the book upon which the movie was based on reserve at the library. I'm interested to read the real story of her life now.

For anyone who is curious, I just posted about this book here.   

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2008 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Ok, this is nothing like any previously posted, but we just watched Ushpizin and LOVED it. I think it is my new favorite movie. I just bought it at Amazon for my dad's birthday.

It is in Hebrew with English subtitles. About an Orthodox Jewish couple who have no children and they pray for a miracle. The miracle shows up as two escaped convicts. It is wholly beautiful, and funny. This couple wants so badly to do God's will, and the convicts are so annoying. I just loved this movie.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 08 2008 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Adding a few we have watched lately.

Becoming Jane...same sentiments as above. Good. Not great, but fun to watch.

Neverwas Kind of slow and boring, but for some reason I couldn't turn it off.

Live Free of Die (Bruce Willis' "die hard" stuff) dh's choice obviously ....but a good scrapbooking movie for me

3:10 to Yuma GREAT western!!!! Russell Crowe and Christian Bale are wonderful and the plot is fascinating. Now I want to see the original.

The Ultimate Gift I LOVED this movie!! Highly recommended. In fact my whole neighborhood watched it and everyone liked it. Tear-jerker in spots.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 25 2008 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Chari wrote:

You Can't Take It With You ---with Jimmy Stewart, another Frank Capra.....very fun!

This is one of my FAVORITE movies!

With the kids, we've watched a few (disappointing) movies like the new Charlotte's Web. I just love that book and don't feel like they were true to the story. We all enjoyed Prince of Egypt and Joseph, King of Dreams

I don't know how "true to life" this movie was, but Entertaining Angels made me interested in learning more about Dorothy Day.

We have been on a Hitchcock kick, enjoying Rear Window, Notorious, North By Northwest, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Lifeboat. These were all good, but we didn't like Suspicion.

Two other movies we enjoyed were Flightplan and The Pianist.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2008 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We just saw "Dan in Real Life" last week. Its cute and has some really funny moments. I think it would be okay for teenagers and definitely a fun date movie with dh after the kiddos are in bed. A couple of inappropriate scenes, but no sex which is refreshing in a modern romance flick.

We also saw "Enchanted." Cute as well and it is funny to see Disney poke some fun at itself.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2008 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

CrunchyMom wrote:
We also saw "Enchanted." Cute as well and it is funny to see Disney poke some fun at itself.

No kidding! We just watched this movie and it is an amazingly funny, clean, good movie -- like Disney used to be! It's too bad they had to make the male lead a divorcee, but it is so good and a healthy view of love and marriage ... it isn't until the star feels anger and sadness that she realizes her true love!

And the scene of cleaning the house -- the one Elizabeth mentioned on her blog -- is one of the best, most disgusting and yet funny scenes I've seen in a long time! Priceless!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

SarahA
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 15 2008 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote SarahA

Hi--I'm extremely new to this forum, but the more posts I read the more I realize how much so many of us have in common! It's great to see so many people with similar tastes as mine, especially since I rarely get to the big screen...I'll have to save the book list for another day.   

Love to get old movies, especially Jimmy Stewart. A few recent rentals from his collection: Shenandoah and Harvey. The first seems like the inspiration for making the movie of The Patriot but much less violent, and set during the Civil War. Harvey is one of the first movies he made after returning from the war (did you know he was a WWII hero?--what a great generation).

I also got The Robe to watch for Easter. I don't know how I've missed that one all these years. Has anyone read the book? Just curious as to its Catholic or Protestant leanings.

As far as Jane Austen goes, I am a HUGE fan--reread all the books every 2 years and have nearly every version of all the movies made. Just so you all know, PBS just aired all new versions, very close to the books (but surprisingly short--I like the whole shebang). My best friend recorded them for me and sent me all but the last 2. She said that version of Sense and Sensibility was much closer to the book. She didn't expect to like it since Emma Thompson's version is very loveable, but she liked it nonetheless. I can't wait for my next care package from her so I can watch it myself. By the way, that version of Northanger Abbey is actually good, as opposed to the very old BBC one. The only one they didn't remake was Pride and Prejudice, because really, why mess with perfection?

Being here in Hawaii, I'd like to recommend Molokai about Blessed Fr. Damien. Too few people know his story. The movie doesn't even do him justice, but at least it was well-made on location with a great cast.

You can tell what I do when I'm doing the un-ending mounds of laundry...by the way, I've got 4 little ones with the 5th on the way.    

Blessings, Sarah
Back to Top View SarahA's Profile Search for other posts by SarahA

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 15 2008 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Chari wrote:
Persuasion (1971)....horrible version.....blech

Persuasion .....better, with Ciaran Hinds as the Captain....more tolerable, but still a bit imperfect. The book is almost always better.

So Chari, did you see the most recent version of Persuasion and did you like it? I prefer the Ciaran Hinds version but was still disappointed -- the actors looked a bit too old for the role (same complaint as with my favorite BBC P&P). And I did not like the newest one at all, even though Capt Wentworth was so much better-looking -- Anne running all over town to catch him was just too much.

Anyone seeing Expelled this weekend? We might...

But really what our whole family is looking forward to is ... FINALLY... Prince Caspian!!! We're counting down the days.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 21 2008 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

We were very recently disappointed in Juno since we'd heard so many good things about it. In Netflix terms, we ***Liked It but there were a lot of things that bothered us.

We watched Searching for Bobby Fischer last night and really liked it...dare I say loved it? My husband thought it sounded boring, but it was quite good. I unreservedly recommend this one.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2008 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

We can't wait for Prince Caspian either! I recently read it to dd, who had not read it yet. She was a little bored with it, unfortunately, but I hope will like the movie.

I recently watched Shadowlands, about CS Lewis and his wife, Joy. Very good, but bring the tissues!

We also watched Enchanted with the kids and liked it.
I have to admit, I've been watching all the Cadfael DVDs our library has - it's sort of a 12th century CSI, though not as gory. Before that I'd watched the 2 sets of Father Brownmysteries - I wish they had filmed more of them!

I've also been re-watching all the old MASH seasons.
(I like to knit at night while watching mindless TV!)

Our library has a lot of PBS/BBC series like Rumpole on the Bailey (?), Rosemary and Thyme, etc. Please recommend some I should watch!
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 25 2008 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

For BBC series I enjoyed:

All Creatures Great and Small
Jeeves and Wooster
Its a bit risque (but not explicit in any way), but I liked The Duchess of Duke Street as well.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2008 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

We watched RV last night. Robin Williams and family cram into an RV for a cross-country trip, several great scenes we could totally relate to as boats and RVs can be very similar. The family they keep running into are homeschoolers!
Completely enjoyable and clean movie, well, minus the holding tank scenes!      Dh even stayed awake for the whole thing...

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2008 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

marihalojen wrote:
We watched RV last night. Robin Williams and family cram into an RV for a cross-country trip, several great scenes we could totally relate to as boats and RVs can be very similar. The family they keep running into are homeschoolers!
Completely enjoyable and clean movie, well, minus the holding tank scenes!      Dh even stayed awake for the whole thing...

We did too! Great movie. We laughed until we cried. And I loved how it ended with the homeschoolers at the end. Don't let the early portrayal fool you.

My oldest ds picked up Flyboys the other day and insisted that dh and I watch it. It's based on a true story during WWI. We're halfway through it (I keep falling asleep ). Today I plan for my second ds and I to watch it start to finish (Corey keeps asking what I thought about it ). Years ago, Garrett and I did a unit study on WWI and the Red Baron. This movie is a perfect review.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 17 2008 at 12:54am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I have four words for everybody.....

DAN IN REAL LIFE

I watched this a few weeks ago, and it was so good, I watched it two nights in a row!!! The second night, I made all the neighborhood gals come over . The men who saw it, didn't like it as much as we did.

This will probably be my favorite movie of 2008!

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2008 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I just saw YOUNG AT HEART last night.

It's a documentary about a singing group. The average age of the members? 80!!

I laughed, I sang, I danced in the aisle, and I cried. A very, very good film.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2008 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I watched The Island the other night. Reminded me of Into Great Silence in a way but with a pro-life message.

Here's a previous thread on The Island where I talk more about it.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 02 2008 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Suzanne, I liked Dan in Real Life too, except for that wretched soundtrack. Ick. But Juliette Binoche is very funny.

The Steve Carrell film where he plays Noah/Evan is hilarious too--I was afraid it would be full of potty mouthed humor--but we laughed so hard (at clean jokes!) we cried and couldn't breathe! Evan Almighty, that's it.

We are watching the John Adams series. Part 1 is very good. Paul Giamatti is excellent and Laura Linney better than you would expect if you've only seen her in Jurassic Park. I don't remember who is playing Washington, but it's the first time I've seen him look human (not a caricature) while actually looking like his portraits as well.

The other movie I really enjoyed lately was "Kidnapped" from PBS.
Back to Top View LeeAnn's Profile Search for other posts by LeeAnn Visit LeeAnn's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2008 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Another Hitchcock movie: The Wrong Man was awesome! It is based on a true story and has positive elements of Catholicism. My favorite scene was after Manny's mother urges him to pray and he goes to his room. He is looking at a picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and his lips are moving in prayer and you see through to something that is happening at that very moment - the answer to his prayers (but I won't give it away).

Baby boy due 10.13

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2008 at 12:36am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Catching up from the past several months. Wow...looking over the list, there are some from when I was pregnant. Time flies!

The Queen I loved watching this. dh would've thought it extremely boring.

Knocked Up I was skeptical about this one....but dh said Michael Medved liked it, so we thought we'd watch it. It was good! A couple of painful parts, but otherwise fun!

Ressurecting the Champ A good movie to watch with hubbies

The Final Season A good baseball movie. But, most baseball movies are, aren't they?

Great Debaters Denzel WAshington is a debate coach of a black college in the 30's. Goood!

No Reservations A great chic-flic. But, then I'm partial to any movie that takes place in the kitchen of a restaurant.

Love's Unending Legacy I'm such a sap....I love these movies. This one was not as good as the first couple, but still good.

Into the Wild Hmmmm.....this was a good movie. But, kind of annoying if you've read the book.....you spend the whole time comparing the two and wondering what they embellished and added and deleted. Typical.

Click Fun

Premonition I like this movie. It was not too intense, but had a great twist at the end.

P.S. I Love You   A Good Chic-flic that husband's will probably NOT appreciate!

I Confess This has been on my list for YEARS, and we finally watched it....It's SO GREAT! And, the extras on Hitchcock on Special Features is really fascinating.

August Rush Great! Great! Karen had a review here.

An Affair to Remember So romantic. It's been 10 years since I saw this last.

The Bucket List   

National Treasure: a book of secrets

Enchanted Cute, cute!!

Juno I liked it. There were some great lines. Good acting. A bit painful at times.

A Perfect Stranger Thriller with Halle Berry and Bruce Willis. A good twist at the end. Pretty good.

Get Smart I can't believe THIS is probably the ONLY movie I will have seen in a theatre in 2008. Embarassing. But, it was what was playing when a friend and I miraculously got out of the house at the same time.      Of course, Steve Carrell was good. A fun watch, but pretty silly.

27 Dresses and Made To Honor......can you tell Pete's been traveling lately?   

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version