Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Movie List 2008 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 11 2007 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Since it is a bit late in the year to start this list......let us just start it now, and keep adding through 2008.

I love how we have a reading list for our books........and, since I just watched three fun movies from Netflix.........I thought it would be nice to have a play to share good movies, with our recommendations, or not.

So, this is a yearly list, not necessarily just those you recommend, but those you have seen. TV, DVDs, videos or on the big screen.

Here are my three:

The Bachelor & the Bobby Soxer

Old movie with Cary Grant and a teenage Shirley Temple.......fun and sweet

Miss Potter 2006
There is a thread on this somewhere.....a bio of Beatrix Potter. Lovely....and even my 6yo enjoyed, inspired enough to start writing his own book about a
naughty bunny named Peter

Call Me Madam 1953
An old musical with Ethel Merman and Donald O'Connor.....he dances splendidly! Fun.

Use color to highlight the movies......

So, what have you seen this month?

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Well, I also watched Miss Potter earlier this month and enjoyed it immensely.

Last night I watched Sense and Sensibility, since I finished the book a few weeks ago. It was OK, but it really doesn't do justice to the book since it's a much shorter movie than the P&P I'd seen (the BBC one).
I was also surprised to see Alan Rickman as the Colonel; I thought he was going to be Willoughby!

Not much else recently.
Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Oh, I will go ahead and add one that we haven't watched recently, but I'm sure we will in the next week or so, as it has become one of the kids' favorites during this season:

Boys Town with Spencer Tracy and Mickey Rooney. I don't remember how we ended up seeing this the first time around but all 3 kids ask for it over and over.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We just recently re-watched Father of the Bride (with Steve Martin and Martin Short) and the kids loved it.
Amazing Grace, I liked but the kids found boring.
Master and Commander, always a favorite, and we love the soundtrack, too.
And last night we watched Fiddler on the Roof and it was a huge hit.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote joann10

We loved Fiddler on the Roof--even my dd6.
I also bought Oliver! for my dd19 birthday and the kids and I have been enjoying that over and over. You can't beat a great musical!
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

mimmyof5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote mimmyof5

I know you said movies and this was a PBS series, but we have been re-watching All Creatures Great and Small every Friday night. I'm checking them out from the library. Great humor, beautiful scenery and good values. Everybody is enjoying, from dad to the 7 year olds.

Janet
Back to Top View mimmyof5's Profile Search for other posts by mimmyof5

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Janet.....that works for me! My kids thought those were weird when I brought them home the first time...after we listened to the stories on tape....they LOVED the PBS series.

Lots of movies lately.....not sure why....but it often happens when we have winter weather, or visiting my dad's house.

Let's see:

The Ulitmate Gift.....was SO good...I actually twice...once with the family...and then again while I wrapped Christmas presents

Bride & Prejudice...it was kind of odd....but for diehard Pride & Prejudice fans..who cannot get enough.....you may find this enjoyble...my first Bollywood movie....I did like it

Martin Chuzzlewut

over 4 hr movie on Dicken's classic...Christmas present from the kids......they love it

A couple of old movies:

That Feeling & If a Man Answers Hang Up.......both Bobby Darrin & Sandra Dee

Happy Go Loverly with David Niven, cute

I Am David....good, moves slow...but good.....young boy escapes prison work camp after WWII

Paradise Road....very painful, but based on real life experiences of women in prison in Sumatra at end of WWII

Hairspray the musical on DVD

August Rush I actually saw this in the movie theater.......it was so amazing...I loved it...and if you have music in your soul....you probably will, too.

I do not recommend the above for kids without previewing first

so, there is my last three weeks worth of movies

I love to watch movies......but, I cannot stand sitting and doing nothing while I watch...so, I scrapbook, file papers, write Christmas cards, wrap presents, ironing, folding lots of laundry....any kind of organizing.....just so you know how I fit these in, and justify it

Do YOU have any thing new to add?

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

We just watched Marty, based on the recommendation of someone here, but who???

It was wonderful! My kids kept asking where the color was, and it turned into a history lesson about what life was like before Grandma married Grandpa.

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Started this trilogy in December and finished last night:

The Lord of the Rings Special Extended DVD Edition:
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
The Return of the King
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I'm back with more movies watched...but no one else has posted!? Perhaps I'm the only one "wasting time" watching movies...my husband likes watching movies, so we have a Netflix account (2 at a time) and we usually watch 1/2 of a movie together each night after the kids are in bed. Our last 3 movies kept us up late, though, because we couldn't turn them off...

The Bourne Identity (loved it)
The Bourne Supremacy (really liked it)
The Bourne Ultimatum (loved it!)

We had our account on hold for Advent and will probably do the same for Lent and will use that time to read and pray together.
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

We just watched Rescue Dawn, a true story of a pilot who went down in Vietnam and survived. I like true stories and this is a good one.

Back to Top View NavyMom's Profile Search for other posts by NavyMom Visit NavyMom's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

We watched recently

Stalin Red Terror made for tv movie about Stalin. Robert Duvall stars as Stalin. It is not a great movie but it does give you a sense of that horrible time in Russian history. Teens up.

My dh and I have been getting from Netflix the BBC series Upstairs Downstairs We love it so far. It takes place in London at the beginning of the 20th century.

Natalia

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I you haven't seen them and want a nice uplifting religious movie, Gregory Peck is a wonderful priest in The Keys of the Kingdom , and I love Ingrid Bergman in The Inn of the Sixth Happiness. Both Chinese missionary movies, oddly, but very good.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 12:10am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

CrunchyMom wrote:
I you haven't seen them and want a nice uplifting religious movie, Gregory Peck is a wonderful priest in The Keys of the Kingdom , and I love Ingrid Bergman in The Inn of the Sixth Happiness. Both Chinese missionary movies, oddly, but very good.

How funny to see you just posted this! I came here to recommend The Inn of the Sixth Happiness after we watched it as a family this past weekend. Everyone loved it! (I do want to caution people that there are war scenes that may be difficult for sensitive youngsters. We had some of the girls cover their eyes for those scenes.)

I remembering watching it with my mom when I was a child and they used to show old movies on Saturday afternoon television. It's a beautiful movie - I think it's one of my top five favorites of all time. As a college student, I seriously considering becoming a foreign missionary, probably very much due to the influence of this film.

And I just put the book upon which the movie was based on reserve at the library. I'm interested to read the real story of her life now.

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

Chari wrote:
Bride & Prejudice...it was kind of odd....but for diehard Pride & Prejudice fans..who cannot get enough.....you may find this enjoyble...my first Bollywood movie....I did like it

I like this movie too! It is great if you need a P&P fix, but don't have 6 hours for the "real thing".   

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

January movies:

Anne of a Thousand Days - about Henri VIII and Anne Boleyn. Really Good! dh and I both liked it.

Pope John Paul II - I've seen this already, but thought my mom would enjoy it while she was visiting. My neighbors, who are not Catholic, watched it too. They said it made them WANT to be Catholic!!

Miracle - 1980 US Olympic hockey victory over the Soviet Union. Really Good!!!! (We love sports movies here).

We Are Marshall - Excellent! Another winner-sports-movie! Rebuilding the Marshall University football team after the 1970 crash that killed most of its players/coaches. True story. Matthew McConaughey is really good!

Evan Almighty - Quite funny and a cute story. Good family flick. Be sure to watch the out-takes. Steve Carell has some very funny physical comedy in this.

Marie-Antoinette- Horribly painful. I knew that it would be (from others) but had to see w/my own eyes, since I love to watch all that has to do with the French Revolution.

With dc:

Miss Potter - I saw this last year in the theaters, but we watched it all together. Everyone LOVED it. There were a couple "boring-adult-parts" according to my girls, but overall they LOVED it and esp. wanted to watch the drawings come to life over and over.

Miracle Worker- the old one and the new one. About Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan. The girls watched the new Disney one and really liked it. The old b/w version was a bit too dramatic and "dark" for them, we turned it off after about 15 minutes and we finished it up later.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

The Bucket List

Oh, heavens! Heart-wrenching.

I only went to see it because my dh wanted to see it (I wanted to see "Little Chenier") and he hates going to the movies. I was so excited he wanted to go see anything that I didn't mind at all.

I thought I was going to see a funny show. I cried through almost the whole movie.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 12:56am | IP Logged Quote Chari

I want to see that, Cay........will be waiting for the DVD.

Wolves: A Legend Returns to Yellowstone
...EXCELLENT Documentary....they do take down animals, over course...we were excited to see the wildlife biologist we met at Yellowstone this summer, while watching wolves!

Wolves: IMAX
....kind of a disappointment...maybe more philosophical and spiritual, that about REAL lives of wolves. Enjoyable enough, the kids actually did not give up on it, like their mom did

Saving Sarah Cain
...about a reporter who ends up with her Amish sister's children. Not acted as well as we liked, but it was okay. Disturbing themes for some kids, and a girl who wants to fit in at school (sometimes a problem for homeschoolers)

Alice Adam
... an old classic movie, with Catherine Hepburn and Fred MacMurray. A bit sad and serious. Based on Book Tarkington's book. Has a happier ending than book.

here are the rest......I will edit later........I need to go to bed!

We Built This City: New York

My Life So Far

Happy Go Lovely

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Chari wrote:
I want to see that, Cay........will be waiting for the DVD.

Oh, yes, wait until it comes out on DVD and watch it in the peace of your home. Too emotional for public and, yes, there are many crude parts (Jack Nicholson, ya know ). Not for little watchers at all.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Sweet Land is a great movie about a Norwegian-American farmer (Olaf) in Minnesota, post-WWI, who gets a German mail-order bride, when anti-German sentiment was high. The town shuns them. Told as a story to the couple's grandson after the husband dies after 48 years of marriage.

I really liked it, so did my neighbor. A bit slower and not lots of dialogue....maybe not for some dh who prefer a faster film. I thought it was a beautiful film about immigration, prejudice, determination, friendship, farming....AND a wonderful love story!

Plus, being from Minnesota and having lots of Scandinavian blood in me, it was especially fun to watch!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version