Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: September plans? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

MaryM wrote:
LucyP wrote:

Oh lol! We were always told the devil did something far worse than just land on the blackberries!

I'm curious what you've heard. I've heard he breathed fiery breath on them and spit on them - turning them black.

In the legends I've read the devil picked the blackberries on Michalmas.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Isn't anyone doing anything for St. Padre Pio's feast day on the 23rd?

a friend and I are taking turns picking an activity for a feast day each month and I chose Padre Pio for Sept b/c he's my most favorite saint. I figured I'd just google around and find something easily, but there's nothing that I can find! the kids participating range from 6 to 11.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We weren't planning anything, but I'd be happy to brainstorm. Crafting? Coloring? I know Charlotte made a coloring page.

He had great devotion to his guardian angel, and he was a Franciscan priest, and loved the mass, and was a great confessor/spiritual director -- spent hours in the confessional. And then the stigmata... and he was Italian.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Here are Charlotte's two coloring pages Jenn mentioned.

Not necessarily what you are looking for, but some ideas for a snack/refreshments can be found at Catholic Cuisine.

The stigmata was mentined, and levitation and bi-location are also associated with Padre Pio, so I had a couple other thoughts:

Stigmata - sharing the wounds associated with Christ's passion. A craft idea would be to make a paper (or craft stick ) cross with the wounds (painted, marker, felt pieces glued on, etc). Then attach it hanging from a picture/holy card of Padre Pio (or the holy card/image hanging fromt he cross). Or a big construction paper heart (Padre Pio was said to be able to red people's hearts in confession) with the picture of Padre Pio and the cross w/stigmata attached to that.

Levitation - this experiment demonstrating magnetic levitation is really cool and could demonstrate what is meant by something levitating. It sounds like it isn't that much to put together a similar experiment thought you probably wouldn't have time to get those materials. A more simple (but not as exciting) magnet levitation is to use two ring magnets on a pencil. When placed with opposing poles they repel each other which causes the top magnet to "levitate." They have special magnet kits for this, but all you need are a couple simple ceramic ring magnets (can get at Radio Shack) and a pencil. I found some lesson plans to go along with this experiment for magnetic levitation.

Bilocation - this made me think of pairs - since bilocation would be two Padre Pios being at different places at the same time. So a couple thoughts off that idea would be to find several different images of Padre Pio and print them out in matching pairs (same size) and make a set to play the matching game "concentration." Players take turns flipping a pair of cards trying to find the match. Or you could take two images of Padre Pio (holy cards or medals) and hide them in the room - kids have to find the watching pair.

Just some thoughts... hope it helps... it definitely got me thinking and I believe I'll try to do a few of these here this week.

EDITED to add: Jenn had this in to say in a past Guardian Angels thread. I think a focus on this aspect especially in celebrating Padre Pio's feast day and in preparation of the memorial of the Guardian Angels in two weeks would be neat. Padre Pio was one of the saints who had a great devotion to his guardian angel.

JennGM wrote:
Send Me Your Guardian Angel: Padre Pio by Alessio Parente. Inspiring account of different ways Padre Pio worked with his guardian angel. This could be read out loud easily. "When you are in need of my prayer, address my guardian angel through your own angel" Padre Pio would say.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

MaryM wrote:

The stigmata was mentined, and levitation and bi-location are also associated with Padre Pio, so I had a couple other thoughts:

Stigmata - sharing the wounds associated with Christ's passion. A craft idea would be to make a paper (or craft stick ) cross with the wounds (painted, marker, felt pieces glued on, etc). Then attach it hanging from a picture/holy card of Padre Pio (or the holy card/image hanging fromt he cross). Or a big construction paper heart (Padre Pio was said to be able to red people's hearts in confession) with the picture of Padre Pio and the cross w/stigmata attached to that.

Thank you Mary, those are just the kind of ideas I'm looking for. I kept thinking of the stigmata but didn't know what I could do for it. Those are great ideas. I like the levitation one too but I think we'll just stick to one thing this time, as we also have some science labs to do with this family on the same day. We did a similar experiment last year with the ring magnets like you were talking about. My friend is bringing a Padre Pio relic for us to bless ourselves with!

I have often "sent" my guardian angel to Padre Pio's angel, after reading about it in a biography of him.

One other point I'm going to bring up with the kids is that his body is incorrupt - any cute idea of a snack to go along with that LOL?

I had already found the coloring pages by googling this morning and have printed one of them out.

thanks!
Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2009 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Karen T wrote:
One other point I'm going to bring up with the kids is that his body is incorrupt - any cute idea of a snack to go along with that LOL?

How about foods in different types of preservation?

Apple slices and avocado slices and banana slices --they turn brown so fast, showing immediate signs of corruption.

Then other types of food that have preserving factors -- dried fruits, frozen drink, salted food (pepperoni), vinegar food (pickles something?), canned food, smoked

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version