Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: September plans? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I'm planning to read the Mother Teresa book on September 5th and do an Anima Christi craft. Well serve spiced chai and some Indian sweetbread. Sounds like a great excuse to carry out from the local Indian restaurant for dinner too. We'll use Mother Teresa quotes for copywork that week.

The 12th is my twentieth wedding anniversary. Right now, the only plan is a soccer game. At least it's local.

I'm planning to go apple picking and work Brother Bartholomew in towards the end of the month.

I will not miss St. Matthew this year. My son Christian's first name is Matthew and we always seem to forget this feast until the last minute. I've already got chocolate "gold" coins stashed for some kind of tax collector thing. The gospel of Matthew is my favorite. More copywork there.

Things get really crazy at my house the last week of September, first week of october. Looks something like this:
September 21 feast of St. Matthew--Christian's first name is Matthew
September 29 St. Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Michael's birthday (My dh is Michael and so is my eldest son. Patrick's middle name is Gabriel.)
September 30 Katie's birthday
October 1 Feast of St. Therese (Katie's name is actually Kirsten Therese and Karoline's middle name is "Rose" because she is the answer to a St. Therese Rose Novena. This is a huge day in our house.)
October 2nd Guardian Angels and Patrick's birthday
October 4 St. Francis and Karoline's birthday

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Ouiz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote Ouiz

This is nothing new (I think I saw the idea for it on this forum???) but for the Feast Day of the Archangels last year we made Devil's food cake and used the plastic swords (for mixed drinks... you know, the tiny ones) and stabbed our cake. My small children LOVED doing this, and we talked about the battle in Heaven... and especially St. Michael... and how we can ask him to defend us in battle.

Chez Ouiz
Back to Top View Ouiz's Profile Search for other posts by Ouiz Visit Ouiz's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I had also read that the herb basil was affiliated with the Triumph of the Cross, so I have a recipe for Pesto Muffins I was going to use then (either Taste of Home or Light & Tasty, I forget which )
For Saint Matthew, you could make a purse for the gold coins .

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Ouiz wrote:
This is nothing new (I think I saw the idea for it on this forum???) but for the Feast Day of the Archangels last year we made Devil's food cake and used the plastic swords (for mixed drinks... you know, the tiny ones) and stabbed our cake. My small children LOVED doing this, and we talked about the battle in Heaven... and especially St. Michael... and how we can ask him to defend us in battle.

This is the first time I've heard this idea and I must say I LOVE it! It sounds so easy to do and perfect in my houseful of little boys! Love it!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Elizabeth wrote:
I'm planning to read the Mother Teresa book on September 5th and do an Anima Christi craft. Well serve spiced chai and some Indian sweetbread.

Recipe please?
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

rashfordmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote rashfordmom

I love all these ideas! I know I would buy Dawn's book, too! For now, I guess we'll have to content ourselves with her beautiful blog.
Back to Top View rashfordmom's Profile Search for other posts by rashfordmom

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks everyone for the great ideas.

We are celebrating the following

1) Mother Teresa - reading the Demi book and Catholic Mosaic. Also writing e-mails and sending photos to my aunt who is a nun in India

2) Saint Matthew - my 3 year old is Matthew. We are making a cake and hiding coins in it. I like the idea of the chocolate coins too - not sure I can get them at this time. We are reading about Matthew, how he met Jesus etc - my Matthew will be the center of attention for the day. We will invite his godparents to tea.

3) Saint Michael - my youngest is Michael. I love the idea about stabbing the Devil's food cake. My boys will love it. We will make our angel food cake too. We bought the littl Angels book to read. We will copywork the Prayer to Saint Michael. (Last year my 2 year old found the story of Saint Michael tough - spent hours asking WHY the devil was thrown out out of heaven

4) Mary's Birthday - if our schedule (soccer/ballet) permits we will go to our homeschool group party - we take cupcakes and make a big rosary. If not we will make rosaries on the Friday.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 11:52pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

MarilynW wrote:
We will copywork the Prayer to Saint Michael.
Ooooh, I like this. Thank you for sharing, Marilyn. I'll have my children do the same, then add it to their Holy Communion Notebook.

MarilynW wrote:
4) Mary's Birthday - if our schedule (soccer/ballet) permits we will go to our homeschool group party - we take cupcakes and make a big rosary. If not we will make rosaries on the Friday.

The cupcake rosary reminded me of the suggestion of using mini cupcakes .
We may do the same, then give a decade to each of our neighbors.

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 1:22am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

My plans are similar to those mentioned already. So I won't bore you with details.    However, here is what we plan to celebrate in our home for these Feast Days:

September 15 -- Our Lady of Sorrows
This picture of an indoor dish Mary Garden captured my heart.

We will start on Thursday, September 6, discussing one sorrow and one plant each school day. Finishing with the seventh sorrow & seventh plant on Friday, September 14. We'll plant our garden Friday. When the cross is added, I'll have another opportunity to mention it's the Feast of the Triumph of the Cross. Saturday, September 15, we'll assemble a simple picture craft I have planned for the Feast Day, then place it next to our garden. (I didn't want to do all of my plans in one day plus, it's Nicholas' birthday.) The statue is of Our Lady of La Salette whose Feast Day is Sept 19.

September 21 -- St Matthew - Discuss tax collectors in our Lord's day. Read Matthew 9:9-13. I'll make small drawstring bags or use treasure chests for my children to collect taxes -- the gold coins.

September 29 -- Feast of the Archangels (the week leading up to this I'm planning an angel unit & several angel crafts.) the chocolate cake w/ swords is a hit here. We'll have angel food cake on the Feast of the Guardian Angels.

September 30 -- St Jerome -- lion craft

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Don't forget, if you want to do a novena to St. Therese Oct 1, it has to start on Sat Sept 22. (or 23).
I am sure we all have some intentions for the Little Flower!

Ck
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

A few more activities we are doing for September 15 -- Our Lady of Sorrows

CRAFT IDEA -- we have cut out a heart & each day add a dagger during discussions of each sorrow. On the handle of the dagger one child writes the sorrow it represents

DESSERT IDEA -- cake or cupcakes in the shape of a & add 1 or 7 daggers. Child or parent could announce each sorrow when each dagger pierces the cake or just recall the sorrows before removing daggers to eat.

The entire month of September is dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows.

The plans from my previous post and this post appear we are doing a lot, but it's spread out over many days.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

EmilyC wrote:
Devotion for September is: The Seven Sorrows of Mary

Since the month is dedicated to the Seven Sorrows and specifically the 15th is the memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows, I had been meaning to link to an activity we have done in Lent (Friday before Palm Sunday is also commemorated by many as a feast of the seven sorrows) - 7 Sorrows Bookmark

Matilda wrote:
I just remembered a game we played a few years ago at a friend's house for St. Helena's feast day which we might do for the Triumph of the Cross this year...

You make some plain sugar cookies shaped like crosses and frost all of them white except for one red one. They get hidden around the house and whoever finds the red one (the True Cross) gets a special prize and everyone gets to eat the cookies. You could do it with paper crosses too. Our crosses were wrapped in Saran Wrap to avoid crumbs.

This would also be really easy to do with simple crosses made from craft sticks. Painting the one "true" cross a different color as was mentioned and then hiding those. They would be real sturdy that way. It sounds like fun and something mine would like to do. I can see this game going on over and over with the kids rehiding them many times.

EmilyC wrote:
Sept. 29: Michael, Gabriel and Raphael
* No ideas yet

Last year at our support group gathering, one of the moms helped the children to make some lovely angel votives out of aluminum pie tins. I'll get a picture and post later.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

oh my! I'm late, but inspired!

Last year I did a "offering up cross" that I posted here

I think I want to make another. That "offerring up" message always seems to need restate around here.

We're doing the Sorrowful Mysteries for rosary time this month.

I LOVE the idea of a dragon theme! Oh yeah that just screams boys wanting to be "soldiers of Christ" doesn't it?!

Well the month isn't over yet... off to contemplate all the possiblities.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

glinNC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote glinNC

Michaela wrote:
A few more activities we are doing for September 15 -- Our Lady of Sorrows

CRAFT IDEA -- we have cut out a heart & each day add a dagger during discussions of each sorrow. On the handle of the dagger one child writes the sorrow it represents

DESSERT IDEA -- cake or cupcakes in the shape of a & add 1 or 7 daggers. Child or parent could announce each sorrow when each dagger pierces the cake or just recall the sorrows before removing daggers to eat.

Where are you finding the red arrows/daggers? I looked around Wal-Mart yesterday and couldn't find them in the craft dept., near the toothpicks, or with the mixed drink items!      Any suggestions? Thanks!
Back to Top View glinNC's Profile Search for other posts by glinNC

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

try a liquer store? probably expensive there, but if that what you're looking for...

oh and a craft.hobby type store or party goods store?

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

glinNC wrote:
Where are you finding the red arrows/daggers? I looked around Wal-Mart yesterday and couldn't find them in the craft dept., near the toothpicks, or with the mixed drink items!      Any suggestions? Thanks!

I had a heck of a time last year trying to find them as well - I was pretty much checking all grocery stores as I knew that I had seen them before. We ended up having to settle then for ones that looked like daggers instead of the swords. I have since seen them (the swords) at party stores (like Party City) and will need to be getting some this year. Thanks for the reminder.

They are also available on line - search the following terms "drink sword" "Martini picks" "drink picks"

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Our SuperTarget sells the tiny swords in the napkins section but the Wal-mart doesn't.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

LOL I'm glad you've already been given the answer about where to look, glinNC.

The biggest challenge for me in celebrating the liturgical year is coming across ideas at the last minute, but cannot find the ONE item that would make it...perfect.      

I'm a little embarrassed for writing "daggers" constantly. They are swords, but the clipart I used for "piercing" the paper heart was a....dagger.

I really like the bookmark, Mary. I have a favorite picture ready & waiting for me to go to the store for colored printer ink. (UGH! If it's not one thing it's another reason I need to run to the store to make that one item....perfect.      )

Martha, I've printed your instructions to look over when I'm not rushed. Thank you for sharing.

Matilda, the glaze was thin, however I've never made the cake before so I don't know if that's bad.

Bless all of you who are so willing to share!

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Michaela wrote:

The cupcake rosary reminded me of the suggestion of using mini cupcakes .
We may do the same, then give a decade to each of our neighbors.

Everyone's ideas are absolutely wonderful. I love the thought of including our neighbors in this beautiful feast day.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 09 2007 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

EmilyC wrote:
Sept. 14: Triumph of the Cross

I bought this woven cross kit from illuminated Ink at conference this summer. I'm going to use them this week for the Triumph of the Cross.

Our Domestic Church

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version