Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: September plans? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

Anyone want to discuss plans to celebrate the liturgical year in Sept? I sat down yesterday at looked at the month ahead at Catholic Culture and came up with these ideas:

Devotion for September is: The Seven Sorrows of Mary
*Craft idea: Make a poster of her seven sorrows
**Prayer Idea: say the Rosary at least weekly, focusing on the seven sorrows

Sept. 8: Mary's Birthday
*Make a birthday cake for Mary

Sept. 12: Most Holy Name of Mary
*No ideas yet

Sept. 14: Triumph of the Cross
*Bake a cross shaped cake
*Decorate wooden crosses (small craft store wood cut outs)
*Catholic Mosaic: The Tale of the Three Trees

Sept. 21: St. Matthew
*no ideas yet

Sept. 29: Michael, Gabriel and Raphael
* No ideas yet

So, what are your plans?

Sarah (13) Robbie & Riley (10) Regina (nearly 3)
My secular lit-based curriculum:
Build Your Library curriculum
Back to Top View EmilyC's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyC Visit EmilyC's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Helen

EmilyC wrote:

Sept. 29: Michael, Gabriel and Raphael
* No ideas yet

So, what are your plans?

In the past, we liked to make St. Michael's Chaplets. I think we're going to make another set this year. I'm inspired by Mrs K's blog (Pondered in My Heart) to try to make beads that will work.

I'll look for links and come back later. (Hopefully)

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

We made a moblie..mobil... Hanging thing

With the three arch angels last year and add a gaurdian angel for each memeber of the family a week later.

For the holy name of Mary you could have the kids do acrostic poems...is that the right word?

ie
M-Mother
A-Amiable
R-Radiant
Y-Yielding

Or a banner with all her different titles

or a matching game with titles and holy cards.

Maggie (who is not a natural speller )
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

My oldest girl is named for Mary so we celebrate the 12th as her nameday.

Last year, I printed out variations of Mary's name (Maria, Mai, Miriam) in a large font. The children decorated Mary's name with stickers, glitter and markers.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Emily, I'm just starting to plan out my September weeks now.

For Mary's birthday, we'll definitely serve a birthday cake for our weekly tea (I have in mind a vanilla poundcake with blueberry syrup). I was thinking of working with the boys to make a special treasure box for Mary - in which we can slip messages to Our Lady through the year. I'll just pick up a small unfinished wooden box at the craft store and we'll either decoupage or paint it or ... something. I will also pick up special blue paper for our messages to Mary.

For the Feast of the Holy Cross we'll make a new handprint cross for the year (I just retired last year's). We each get a color (our favorite) and it hangs in our "school" room all year. I have a cross shaped cake pan and we might use that or make cross shaped cookies. Definitely will be following Catholic Mosaic too.

For Michaelmas (one of my favorites! ) we'll have hot spiced tea and and blackberry jam tarts. The boys like to read dragon-slaying books (recalling Michael's defeat of Lucifer) on this day (and yes, act it out too, capes and all ). We'll plant our spring bulbs this weekend and I'll make a harvest soup and a cheese-filled calzone for Saturday's lunch.

I also have a small set of votive candles for the archangels to set out for this feast.

Oh, how I love September!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Dawn,
I remember reading something about blackberries and St. Michael (maybe it was on your blog last year). Do you know what the connection is?

Waltzing Matilda

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I just remembered a game we played a few years ago at a friend's house for St. Helena's feast day which we might do for the Triumph of the Cross this year...

You make some plain sugar cookies shaped like crosses and frost all of them white except for one red one. They get hidden around the house and whoever finds the red one (the True Cross) gets a special prize and everyone gets to eat the cookies. You could do it with paper crosses too. Our crosses were wrapped in Saran Wrap to avoid crumbs.

Waltzing Matilda

glinNC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote glinNC

Dawn wrote:
The boys like to read dragon-slaying books (recalling Michael's defeat of Lucifer) on this day (and yes, act it out too, capes and all ).

Do you have favorite book titles that you could share?

Thank you in advance!

Blessings,
Ginny
Back to Top View glinNC's Profile Search for other posts by glinNC

glinNC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote glinNC

Dawn wrote:
The boys like to read dragon-slaying books (recalling Michael's defeat of Lucifer) on this day (and yes, act it out too, capes and all ).

Thank you in advance!

Blessings,
Ginny

Sorry ... I thought I could figure out the "quoting" part!    How DO you guys do that?    Thanks!
Back to Top View glinNC's Profile Search for other posts by glinNC

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 26 2007 at 1:08am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

glinNC wrote:

Sorry ... I thought I could figure out the "quoting" part!    How DO you guys do that?    Thanks!

Hi Ginny, in the upper right hand corner of each post is a "quote" button. Click it and it will bring up the whole post in quotes. You will see QUOTE at the beginning and the end of the post surrounded by []. Between the QUOTEs you can edit. After the last QUOTE you can add your comments which will show up in their own space. You can also hit the "Preview Post" button at the bottom of the screen to see if you have it the way you would like it. If I've been unclear, please let me know. Go ahead and give it another try if you like .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2007 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Matilda wrote:
Dawn,
I remember reading something about blackberries and St. Michael (maybe it was on your blog last year). Do you know what the connection is?

According to English legend, when Saint Michael threw the d*vil out of Heaven he landed in a blackberry bush, so the berries are no good after Michaelmas. One of these years I hope to make blackberry jam on this feast day (using berries we pick and freeze in August).

glinNC wrote:
Dawn wrote:

Our favorite is St. George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges.

From Mrs. Sharp's Traditions:

"This is an ancient harvest festival dating back to the sixth century, but it is still celebrated today in the Celtic provinces from Cornwall in England to Brittany in France. Legend tell us that England's patron saint, St. George, was the Archangel Michael's earthly representative. In heaven Saint Michael was the angel who threw Lucifer out for his treachery, and on earth, St. George was famous for slaying dragons and rescuing princesses."

I also meant to mention that on Michaelmas we go for a nature walk and look for Michaelmas daisies (wild asters).

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 26 2007 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

Dawn, I am patiently the publishing of your liturgical year book. I say this with all sincerity, you are better than Martha Stewart at inspiring my seasonal plans.

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Dawn wrote:

According to English legend, when Saint Michael threw the d*vil out of Heaven he landed in a blackberry bush, so the berries are no good after Michaelmas. One of these years I hope to make blackberry jam on this feast day (using berries we pick and freeze in August).

Oh lol! We were always told the devil did something far worse than just land on the blackberries!

Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Dawn wrote:
For the Feast of the Holy Cross we'll make a new handprint cross for the year (I just retired last year's). We each get a color (our favorite) and it hangs in our "school" room all year.

How do you make the hand cross?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

LucyP wrote:

Oh lol! We were always told the devil did something far worse than just land on the blackberries!

I'm curious what you've heard. I've heard he breathed fiery breath on them and spit on them - turning them black.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

J.Anne wrote:
Dawn, I am patiently the publishing of your liturgical year book. I say this with all sincerity, you are better than Martha Stewart at inspiring my seasonal plans.

As I wait impatiently.   

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

J.Anne wrote:

I said the same thing yesterday to my husband - Dawn is like the Catholic Martha Stewart. I can't wait for her to write a book to tell me what to cook and when!

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

Ahem. I see just now I left out the word 'awaiting'- oh, and even then the sentence doesn't work. A typo is a bit more embarassing when people quote you.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Allright, you all are *waaaay* too kind. But thank you for such a lift tonight.

Jenn Sal wrote:
Dawn wrote:
For the Feast of the Holy Cross we'll make a new handprint cross for the year (I just retired last year's). We each get a color (our favorite) and it hangs in our "school" room all year.

How do you make the hand cross?

Jenn, I cut out a large cross from white posterboard. Then I traced each family member's hands in colored construction paper (each on a different color), cut them out and pasted them onto the cross. You can see it in this post.

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Dawn,
If you put together even a spiral bound book with a year of ideas, I think you'd have A LOT of takers!!

Thank you for these great ideas! This tired lady is very grateful...

ck
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version