Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Dressing for school Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

We're all use to it and they're quick to get ready, as long as i've set out their clothes. If im putting their hair up, which i often am, then it takes maybe 5min to do both their hair. It's not hard at all for them to get ready quickly.

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

For anyone who wants to go the uniforms route, I was browsing Old Navy's website and saw that they had uniforms at what look like pretty reasonable prices.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I agree with Elizabeth on this. I am sure you are all shocked to hear it, but we don't do uniforms here.
For us, learning isn't something you need to get dressed up to do. It is a natural part of life to be enjoyed whenever and wherever and however.
We don't dress for school. We dress for life.

That being said, I can see why others would benefit from uniforms. It just isn't us.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MrsKey
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote MrsKey

Thank you all for the very interesting discussion. It was so good to read both opinions.

That being said - this topic was my lesson in "never say, "Never."

I asked my daughter what she thought of the idea of home educated students wearing a "school uniform" and she loved the idea. Go figure. She said it was the one thing she missed about the Catholic school that she attended for 1/2 of a school year.

She talked to our school principal, Mr. Key, and she lobbied for uniforms. She presented a passionate and persuasive arguments for having a "school uniform" - which included being able to get dressed more quickly without having to make a lot of decisions about what to wear and knowing that she has modest, yet cute, clothing for daily wear without any fuss.

She made her case so well that we let her choose some skirts and blouses from French Toast.

So it looks like I have to change my comments above to say, "We're going to try a uniform."

Back to Top View MrsKey's Profile Search for other posts by MrsKey

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I like this uniforms idea. This morning I talked to my dh about it and he said "I'm definitely against it." He recalled the time when he was wearing his old jeans, T-shirt and jean jacket to his Catholic high school placement exam and his parents made him change into nice clothes.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

One thing that my dh has mentioned is why do the teachers and principals "dress up" or "dress the part" for school but school kids in Public Schools usually do not? I think in this culture, for better or worse, we DO attach a certain level of respect to how we dress. Kind of like most of us probably have "sunday Mass clothes" that signal to a child, even at a young age, that we show respect and reverence for Sundays and Mass.
As a homeschool mom who has varied widely from unschooling to Seton registered students to all points in between, I can appreciate the fact that for my family, school is very "fluid" with our lives and I cannot replicate "school at home". Nor do I want to. However, for the needs of my boys, and honestly myself, unifroms are the way to go.
I have worn a dress code of sorts for years. Almost always khaki pants or occasionally khaki twill skirt, blouse, sweater, or polo in warmer weather. My alternate "school pants" are navy and black.
whew! never even thought about it all so much, now I'm even thinking if we had the means, I'd love to have "trinity Academy" with a cool dh designed logo/ insignia /coat of arms type thing for our polos Maybe next year...

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

This is a fascinating topic
We don't really do uniforms here, although I seriously consider it... but then again my son's choice of clothes is just like a uniform anyway!
He ALWAYS dresses 'like Daddy'. Which usually means Polo shirts (his favourites are the real POLO brand shirts we picked up at Ross Dress For Less because Daddy has them too) and khaki trousers. Which ALL have holes in or are too short right now! He has jeans on today because Daddy wore dark trousers, so he had to do so as well.
I might broach the idea of a 'uniform' with DH and see what he thinks.
FWIW, when DH wore ties to work, DS wore his tie (yes, with t-shirts, polo shirts and sweaters as WELL as with the real dress shirt!).
DD likes dresses. Oh... and her 'cowgirl' boots. But since she is 3, she is not likely to get a uniform just yet .
Since I am English, I wore uniforms from the age of 4 (almost 5) through 16 (and also for work after that). I could tie a tie at 5 (still can) and I ALWAYS wore my shirt tucked in.
I hasten to add that I like the idea of making a set of polos (maybe at cafe press?) with school logos on them... hey, maybe we can have 4 real logos on them

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

We have S.J.B.A. (for St. John Bosco Academy) embroidered on our son's uniform shirts. We had them done by someone we know that has a machine and very kindly did it for us! It's a fun thing to do!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version