Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Dressing for school Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I too have wondered about uniforms. I had a pychologist once ask me how my ds (the one that we thought may have ADHD) dressed for Mass and for school. I remember him saying that all of your external surroundings can affect your behavior. I've wondered if a uniform might help this ds, but maybe not really affect the others.

I also have thought about how the FlyLady (and others) have insisted on dressing appropriately for the work. I inconsistently wear shoes when I clean because it goes against our rule of no shoes on in the house.

I just wanted to say that I'm enjoying hearing both sides of this discussion.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Do swimsuits count?

Seriously, if we have our suits on we're much more likely to jump off the boat - wheee!!!!

Part of the joys of living on the water!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Matilda wrote:
P.S. Have any of you seen some of the t-shirts for sale at Cafe Press for homeschoolers? Some are a bit "in your face" but some are really darling!

Click here to see them but be warned that some of their merchandise can be crude.

I love it!!! Can't afford it, but I love it!

Sears had a t-shirt the other day in the Teen section saying "I got an A+ in Socialization" and I snatched it up but Marianna told me she thought she only earned a B- in Socialization so she couldn't wear it. I had to tell her it was a cute joke, not her report card!!!    Crazy kid...(who happens to be out "socializing" on the beach right now.)

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

We typically dress as part of our morning routine, to 'get ready to face the day'. Pyjama days are days for lolling around on the sofa, and those are wonderful when we have them, but I find we are much more focused when we dress to face the day in the morning.

I think of my kids clothes in terms of 'dress clothes' for church or parties vs. 'daily wear' clothes. My kids wear their 'daily wear' clothes, well, daily!   

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Patty, that's pretty much our "designation" for clothes...although I do have a recently added addition "work clothes"...daily clothes are ones we can actually go out and about in. Work clothes are the ones that we can totally destroy cause they already have holes or stains that simply will NOT come out (and hence are NOT clothes we would wear out in public)...then there are mass clothes which are totally different and are only on for Mass.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

we just put on what ever clothes we would normally put on... no uniforms.

But I do have a 'uniform" t-shirt that we where for official field trips, esp if we are getting a homeschooling discount. even the baby has one.
and that helps me keep them all together.

Jamie, married to John
JC, Nugget, Christina & Judy
Chowder
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

My 10.5 yo ADHD son puts on his clothes the night before and sleeps in them; he doesn't wear pajamas. But if he sleeps in his clothes, does that mean he's always in his pajamas?

The reason he does this is (I think) is because he has sensory integration issues. Until he was 8, I was convinced he was going to get married in a pair of jogging pants. Before he was 6, I was pretty sure he would just never wear pants at all. So, you know, I think of clothes as an improvement.

Anyway, we do have a morning routine involving teeth brushing and clothes changing (for the other kids), and if I am not showered, dressed, and wearing shoes by the time the big kids get up, I feel off all day. When the kids are sick, they get to stay in their pajamas, but my kids are pretty routine reliant. They do need a cue to get going in the mornings (although I will say that a lot of learning does take place in pajamas... they often start reading as soon as their eyes open.)

I do find it very interesting what Veronica says about her ADHD son liking the uniform, though... I'm not sure I'm capable of keeping a uniform going around here, but I had never really thought about using clothes as an external scaffolding to minimize distraction. My ds has been diagnosed ADHD, but I'm pretty sure my 8 yo dd fits the girl-ADD label in many ways. I wonder if a uniform would help her do her chores in less than an hour????

(By the way... I have 5 kids with #6 on the way in about 2 weeks. That'll mean 4 of my 6 kids will be age 4 and under. For those of you who uniform... do you dress your little ones in uniform, too?)

--Angela

Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

I can't stand labels, but fwiw, ALL of my 4 boys fall into the ADHD spectrum. I've had one son with severe Sensory disorder as well- he would only wear the hanna andersson underwear for years. don't get me started about socks! so maybe this is why the uniform is working for us. These spirited boys really like to know what is around the corner so to speak, and laying out their uniform the night before helps alot.
We start the uniform at age 5.

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I could see how this would solve our "what to wear to daily mass' dilemma.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

he would only wear the hanna andersson underwear for years. don't get me started about socks!

Lisa that is my dc to a T!

Dh hates sock and my mil still wears her undies inside out.

I just thought that id add that im the uniform wearer in the family- i hated clothes shopping for years with my size (short round and busty) and my concerns about modest clothes i was hard to find anything.

So i looked back to when i ever enjoyed my clothes and it was my last to years of high school in catholic school.

So i have 2-4 skirts at any given time in kakhi or denim and long sleeve and 3/4 length henleys or polos and sweaters. I jsut wish it was fall year round

no descisons everything matches -happy me
Maggie

Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Lisa, it DOES make leaving the house for Mass very peaceful!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

Oooh, I missed this earlier. My husband insisted on dressing for school last year and we are moving to uniforms this year. I only have one school aged child and I've always wanted that first day of school, plaid skirt photo, so I am in favor of this because it's fun for me!    I am going to require Lucy to wear a plaid skirt and polo shirt on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 9:00 - 2:00. I think having a morning routine where she knows what to do and wear will help set the tone. Gymboree has a good back to school sale going on now. I know it's expensive if you are looking at outfitting several kids, but that's not our situation. I'm so glad this came up!
I grew up with uniforms and kind of wish I could still get away with it. I've often thought of pretending that I'm a nurse so I can wear scrubs everywhere.

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

And also!Marjorie wrote about this a week or so ago. It's interesting to read everyone's take on this. I've had several moms mention avoiding uncomfortable situations when running errands during the school day as a reason for uniforms (as Matilda mentioned). We just all do well in a structured atmosphere.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

CathinCoffeland wrote:

I just thought that id add that im the uniform wearer in the family- i hated clothes shopping for years with my size (short round and busty) and my concerns about modest clothes i was hard to find anything.

So i looked back to when i ever enjoyed my clothes and it was my last to years of high school in catholic school.

So i have 2-4 skirts at any given time in kakhi or denim and long sleeve and 3/4 length henleys or polos and sweaters. I jsut wish it was fall year round

no descisons everything matches -happy me
Maggie

Maggie, are you me? Actually, I am also very finicky about socks.

The uniform thing is kind of weird for me, though, because as a teenager when I started ps after being in Catholic school, I swore I would NEVER AGAIN wear anything that resembled a uniform. (Ours was a bright red plaid with bright red socks and a red Girl Scout tie.) But do you know what I like when I look at clothes for my dd? Plaid skirts. Of course.

Just out of curiosity... when you started uniforms, did your children put up an argument?

-- Angela

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

Angela, that is so funny. My sisters and I routinely buy the exact same clothing though we live hundreds of miles away from each other - it's always in shades of navy blue and gray - our high school uniform colors.
My daughter is excited about the prospect of uniforms. I let her have some input - a choice of two or three items.

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Great thread! It is interesting to hear some of the benefits of uniforms for older children, as in keeping nosy outsiders at bay. Thank to everyone for sharing your thoughts on this issue.

I've tried uniforms off and on in the last two years (ds started with Montessori cabinets two years ago). During that period of time we've even tried a couple in betweens: aprons / uniform shirt with pants of choice. After all of the experimenting, this year we will be back to uniforms.

Our uniforms consist of light blue polos and khaki pants for ds and a nice cotton dress (blue) for dd. Last year, dd had a Carter's matching top and pants outfit that she wore as a "uniform". Although we generally do not wear shoes in the house, both children wear their "Church" shoes as part of their uniform. I also dress nicely and wear a special apron and shoes. Interestingly enough, I believe that wearing the shoes makes all of us feel as though we're actually going somewhere! Being dressed up makes the time extra special and helps all of us enter into the activities with a sense of their importance. IMHO this works really well with the Montessori approach. DH and I also really appreciate the value of the children being required to dress up and having that experience even though they are not going off to school.

I started in with the Montessori cabinets this week with dd (2.5 years) while our son is at a Spanish summer camp in the mornings. One thing I'm focusing on is helping her achieve independence in donning the uniform dress. I am looking forward to this year with both of them being able to dress themselves (not that it won't require some effort on my part). I must admit that having uniforms has been a bit of a burden for me but one I've decided is well worth it.

Veronica's Veil
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Veronica's Veil

Angel wrote:

Just out of curiosity... when you started uniforms, did your children put up an argument?

Well, mine were excited, I really think it made them feel special. They are very aware that Daddy goes to work in a (must wear) shirt and tie...etc...I think this made them feel as if they had their own important outfit for their "Work" and as I mentioned my oldest Ds maintains that it helps his "ADHD" qualities. I have been watching this thread eagerly and I am so glad to see so many on BOTH sides of the idea! I can surely see the positives for no uniforms, but am happy to have them here at the same time! God Bless all of you!
Back to Top View Veronica's Veil's Profile Search for other posts by Veronica's Veil

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

mine have always liked the uniform better. they are glad to be going back to it. to be like big brother, or because it is a "constant" for their wandering minds, I don't know but we are all happy campers here!
(I do let them wear khaki shorts til Oct 1, whew it is hot around here!)

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

We are in pj's or house clothes when we're at home. This is how dh and i grew up though. You didnt get dressed up unless you were about to go out and when you came home, you went right to your room to change into your house clothes(which is just usually pajama pants/shorts and a loose tshirt). If you're going out again later, then you'd change back to your outside clothes(that's what we call it). The idea of being in pants/jeans(which i predominately wear) all day long in my home is just so uncomfortable. If we havent been out and you dropped in on us, we'd all(dh included) be in our pj's no matter what time of day it is. lol

eta: for us, i dont think uniforms would make a difference in their attitude towards school work. I'm not really afraid of what others might think when we're out and about during school hours. We live overseas and on base though and there is a large number of homeschoolers here.

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

I have heard of families that do this- isn't it hard to get ready though then for an appt or what if you have to leave unexpectedly? Or maybe your girls are used to this and so they get ready quickly/know what to put on to "go out"?

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version