Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Liturgical wheel for young children Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MommyD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 27 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote MommyD

My oldest child is 6. I'd like to start using the Liturgical wheel this year (are my kids too young?). Would the LTP wheel   here be too much for them? Should I start with something simpler?

Melissa
Back to Top View MommyD's Profile Search for other posts by MommyD

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 27 2007 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My son is almost 4 and the LTP wheel worked well. You don't need to get into the details of the wheel. Visually seeing the overall view of the color of the seasons really gave him a sense of the time and changes of the Liturgical Year. And he'll grow into more of the details as time goes forward.

And my sister, after seeing mine, ordered one for her children, ages 1 1/2 to 10.

I'm looking forward to seeing 2008 calendar.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

isjalu0826
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 27 2007 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote isjalu0826

I saw a lovely simple one in a catalog for Cathecists. It is www.pflaum.com/catalog.

It is a liturgical calendar "for classroom and home" called "The Year of the Lord 2007-2008" and comes in a 16"x22" size.

It looked very simple to me and I thought it would work well for my son (age 4.5) and I am planning on buying it (even though this liturgical year only has a few months to go!)
Back to Top View isjalu0826's Profile Search for other posts by isjalu0826

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2007 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

isjalu0826 wrote:
I saw a lovely simple one in a catalog for Cathecists. It is www.pflaum.com/catalog.

It is a liturgical calendar "for classroom and home" called "The Year of the Lord 2007-2008" and comes in a 16"x22" size.

It looked very simple to me and I thought it would work well for my son (age 4.5) and I am planning on buying it (even though this liturgical year only has a few months to go!)

Ah found it!

It seems they are taking pre-orders for the coming liturgical year calendar and offering free shipping.

I wish I could see it before buying.

Like you Jenn I'm interested to see what the new LTP one will look like. I thought this year's was very nice.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2007 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

JennGM wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing 2008 calendar.

Well I just ordered it. Here's the big laminated one in English. No picture yet though - just a description.

I got the laminated one this year because I can't get it done locally - it's too big for the laminators. I also order the smaller ones for my RCIA class.

Oh I also got the wall calendar. We use that every year. It's pricey compared to the ones you can get at the office supply stores but it's Catholic - they aren't.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

isjalu0826
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 28 2007 at 1:41am | IP Logged Quote isjalu0826

MicheleQ, your post said "Ah found it! It seems they are taking pre-orders for the coming liturgical year calendar and offering free shipping. I wish I could see it before buying"

Your link showed a pic of the 2006-07 one. My most recent catalog showed the 2007-08 one...and they look identical---obviously the detail of the dates and the cycle would be different, but it appears to me that the artwork in the center, and the general design of the calendar, remains the same?

I wonder.. You are on the ball though! Already pre-ordered! It's on my to-do list. :-)
Back to Top View isjalu0826's Profile Search for other posts by isjalu0826

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2007 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

isjalu0826 wrote:
MicheleQ, your post said "Ah found it! It seems they are taking pre-orders for the coming liturgical year calendar and offering free shipping. I wish I could see it before buying"

Your link showed a pic of the 2006-07 one. My most recent catalog showed the 2007-08 one...and they look identical---obviously the detail of the dates and the cycle would be different, but it appears to me that the artwork in the center, and the general design of the calendar, remains the same?

I wonder.. You are on the ball though! Already pre-ordered! It's on my to-do list. :-)

No image yet, but it does list a different artist for 2008 calendar, so it will be different.

Michele are you also ordering a pack of 25 smaller ones and making placemats this year? I loved that idea, but I have no use for 21 extra calendars!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 28 2007 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

No image yet, but it does list a different artist for 2008 calendar, so it will be different.

And I googled the artist. Her is a sample of her work . It looks like she is generally a nature/environment artist. I like some of it. Some of it it kind of different.

JennGM wrote:
Michele are you also ordering a pack of 25 smaller ones and making placemats this year? I loved that idea, but I have no use for 21 extra calendars!

Or do you think there are enough people in NO VA to share a pack. I wonder if we have enough folks here interested in getting the larger pack and splitting it? Good idea Jenn.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2007 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

MaryM wrote:
JennGM wrote:

And I googled the artist. Her is a sample of her work . It looks like she is generally a nature/environment artist. I like some of it. Some of it it kind of different.

If you look on the resources page you get a hint of what it will look like - at least what the center picture will be. I think it looks nice.

JennGM wrote:
MaryM wrote:

Or do you think there are enough people in NO VA to share a pack. I wonder if we have enough folks here interested in getting the larger pack and splitting it? Good idea Jenn.

I'm ordering the 25 pack yes and whatever is left after giving them out at RCIA will be made into place mats for my kids. I never know how many I'll need for RCIA though.

God bless,

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2007 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MicheleQ wrote:
MaryM wrote:
JennGM wrote:

If you look on the resources page you get a hint of what it will look like - at least what the center picture will be. I think it looks nice.

I like it. The theme is the Eucharistic Congress, so it looks like the emphasis will be a Eucharistic theme.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2007 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

MaryM wrote:

Wow, she is a very talented artist, I am very impressed and looking forward to seeing eventually, the 2008 calendar.

Melissa, we use it in our home and all the children love it, from the 12year old down to the 4year old. They interact with it daily by glueing the saint of the day onto each square (if you want the 12months of saint sheets that are made to fit this calendar, just pm me) and this colourful calendar becomes even more colourful! As we are putting the saint image on I find they all as questions and particularly my 4year old - so it is a calendar suitable for the very young as well.

As Jenn said something to the effect of the liturgical colours are there and they will learn that very quickly at an early age, a great place to start with a child, presenting them with the full Church calendar year...

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 28 2007 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

About the 25 packs- we get one everyyear and include one in our saint nicholas day goodie sacks that we give to friends- little oranges candycanes , st nick holy card and calendar,

One year i forgot to order them and everyone complained

There is always use for the extras

Maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2007 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Does anyone have an opinion on which they prefer - the Pflaum one or the LTP one? Does the Pflaum one come only in sets of 25?

Thx!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2007 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Where can I see what the pack of 25 looks like? Even last years would do in a pinch. I could use 5 of them, but would only be worthwhile for everyone's pocketbook if we bought them before the end of August when I will no longer be a NoVA gal :-(

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Cindy Mac wrote:
Where can I see what the pack of 25 looks like? Even last years would do in a pinch. I could use 5 of them, but would only be worthwhile for everyone's pocketbook if we bought them before the end of August when I will no longer be a NoVA gal :-(

Here's a picture

They are available here.

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2007 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Michelle -
Have I told you lately how much you rock?!?! Thanks!

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 28 2007 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

BrendaPeter wrote:
Does anyone have an opinion on which they prefer - the Pflaum one or the LTP one?

I've never seen the Pflaum one in person but from the picture I definitely prefer the LTP one. The Pflaum one appears to only have the Sundays on it, on an outer ring. I like that the LTP one has a box for everyday of the year on it (the boxes for each day of that week come into the center of the circle from the Sunday box).   

MommyD wrote:
My oldest child is 6. I'd like to start using the Liturgical wheel this year (are my kids too young?). Would the LTP wheel   here be too much for them? Should I start with something simpler?

But getting back to Melissa's original question - the Pflaum one might be simpler for younger ones.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

May I ask a question about the LTP calendar for 2008? Why is November 30 and December 1st missing...am I not seeing this correctly?

Maybe I just need some coffee...

God love you,
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Donna Marie wrote:
Maybe I just need some coffee...

I'll have a giggle first...

Have you bought one already Donna or are you viewing a bigger version on the internet?

November 30 and December 1st are present on the 2007 and so I imagine it would have to be on 2008...(who could do without St Andrew's feast and the marking of the beginning of the Christmas Novena? )

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MaryM wrote:
   I wonder if we have enough folks here interested in getting the larger pack and splitting it? Good idea Jenn.
Well, MaryG would love 8 of the notebook and one big laminated one .....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version