Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: All Bloggers Please Respond! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: If you are a 4Real board blogger, which would you prefer:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [8.77%]
11 [19.30%]
2 [3.51%]
39 [68.42%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 04 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

MamaJen wrote:
fwiw, the blogroll has been super-simple to implement for me. I also like that with the blogroll, I can click on the "random" button and go to someone's blog I don't "know" - there are so many great blogs here and not enough hours in the day, so I sometimes hit that "random" button and find treasure!

Do you mean the webring? I don't think there is a random button with the blogroll!

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2007 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Would it be possible to see some examples of what each of the choices look like? Maybe a link to blog that has each of these things. I am sorry, but I am having a hard time visualizing what they might look like or how they would work. I vote for simple and least cluttered just because that is what I like best, but I don't know which choice that would be.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2007 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Like Matilda, I am still confused about what each would look like on our blogs. I get the webring (though mine seems to be broken) and the blogroll (which I used to do but would have to add each link myself and I can't keep up with it)but I am not sure about the others. Would option 1 just be a link to a page here?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2007 at 1:35am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Option #3, OPML file: Feed file that you can import into your reader, or your Typepad sidebar, or Wordpress page/post (and maybe other applications)

Download OPML file here

Option #4: Feed at a blog

I made a little sample so you can see: if we end up with #4 I'll set it up on a Wordpress blog that can be private or public depending on what people want (another poll?)...

4RealBlogs Sample Feed at my blog (temporary)

The password is ilove4realblogs -- you'll see that some of the feeds are several lines and some are just titles -- it will be up to the individual blogger how they want their feeds to appear (they can change that in their settings when they set up feeds).

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2007 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Stef:

I LOVE THE SAMPLE FEED!!!!

That would be awesome. I vote for private.

Matilda and Theresa, if you go to my blog you can see both the 4Real webring and the Catholic Mothers online "boxes".

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2007 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

I didn't vote yet, because I like all the options! Can you tell I have trouble making decisions? I like the webring and the sort of blogroll that is in a box so it doesn't take over the whole blog. I think option # 4 is very intriging, if I understand it correctly. It would be like a group blog, where each time we make a new post on our individual blogs, it would show up there? That would be a good way to get introduced to some blogs I might not otherwise get a chance to visit.
-Andrea
GrayFamilyCircus
Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2007 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Taffy

I've already voted for option #4 before I took a look at Stef's sample of it (thanks Stef!). I still like it a lot but I also really like the idea of having a "blogroll" like the Catholic Mom's one that I could put into my blog's sidebar. (I'm talking about the kind with the box and scroll so that the list doesn't take up so much space.) That way, when I want to just check out a specific blog, I don't have to scroll through as much text as I would with the blog feed. Would this public "feed at a blog" have a blogroll listed in the sidebar? I'm guessing it probably would but I have to ask the silly questions.

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2007 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Taffy wrote:
Would this public "feed at a blog" have a blogroll listed in the sidebar?

I would also like this option -- I think it would be the best of both worlds!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2007 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Just thinking.... could we have an option 5? Seriously. Another scenario that might work, I think, is that one person maintains a master list. That's the person to contact for any changes, additions, applications, etc. That person keeps 4 people updated by e-mail: each of those 4 people take care of their own list -- options A, B, C, D. That way, they still have only one list to manage, and they don't have to worry about whether the other places are updated, or whether one person likes this and another likes that. Readers/users/bloggers can use whichever one works for them best.

For instance, there are times #4 would work for me best, but then there are times I'd just like to surf/bloghop, for which reason I'd still like to have option 2 available.

ETA -- Paula, we were posting at the same time! GMTA! Yes, absolutely possible. A feed and blogroll/webring in the same place!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Stef:

GMTA!

I love the #5 option! Then truly everyone can have what they want on their blog!

You are so clever...

MamaJen
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 05 2007 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote MamaJen

"MamaJen wrote:
fwiw, the blogroll has been super-simple to implement for me. I also like that with the blogroll, I can click on the "random" button and go to someone's blog I don't "know" - there are so many great blogs here and not enough hours in the day, so I sometimes hit that "random" button and find treasure!

Do you mean the webring? I don't think there is a random button with the blogroll!

Yes, yes - sorry! I meant the webring!

MamaJen
Aquinas Academy Adventures
Back to Top View MamaJen's Profile Search for other posts by MamaJen

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2007 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote florasita

I personally will be happy with what ever you go with as I am not a computer savey person and really like that the comuter literate will be doing the work
I am just such a simple minded person . I have a blog personally because I just haven't a clue how to learn html etc for me its like cheating I love the blog
Just let me know what is happening when it does
I do like the blogroll idea .
Thanks , Rox

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 07 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

Oh, here's the pole! Sorry, I didn't know where it was. I am not voting either because I don't have enough appreciation for each option. I trust your opinions. Also, Wordpress gives me a hard time sometimes. It is probably me not understanding, but at the moment I am trying to get hooked up to the Catholic moms list and i can't get it to show up on my blog. So frustrating.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2007 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Well, I have the feeling that not many more are going to respond here so I'll put in my two cents...

I like the idea of having a blog set up with a sharable feed in the posts (like option #4 that Stef so kindly created an example of) with the blogroll listed in the sidebar. I'd also like the rolling blog list that we could put into our own sidebar (like the Catholic Mothers Online list) with an "icon button" that goes with it. The icon button could be used to provide a link to the main blog with the shareable feed and would be easier for those using Wordpress to use since wordpress doesn't allow java.

At any rate, I would like to change the list format to one that looks like the Catholic Mothers list. That way, it's automatically updated for those who wish to have the list in their sidebar. Or, we could do away with the list altogether and simply stick to the webring. It seems kind of silly to have both. I do find the list option nice as it's more visible but the ring format is nice for it's random surfing properties.

Does wordpress allow the ring to be put in the sidebar? If it does, then maybe we should just stick with that. If it doesn't, then we could keep both the list and the webring.

Aaack! I'm starting to ramble! Should we simply go with the shareable feed since that seems to be the poll winner? I'm willing to keep the list current but really feel that we need a central "point person" who keeps everyone up to date so we can keep our lists up to date. I've already noticed a few new blogs in some of the new forum members but haven't added them in because 1)they haven't asked, and 2)I don't always think of it right away and then forget where I saw the new blog listed, and 3)I'm thinking that I should have permission from the blog owner before assuming that they'd like their blog listed.

Paula, Stef, maybe I should just PM you two about all this? Someone please direct me...

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2007 at 6:04am | IP Logged Quote mariB

O.K. Silly question. Where is the blogroll so I can see the list of bloggers on 4real learning?

Thanks!

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2007 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote Taffy

You can find it here.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 30 2007 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Whoops, I haven't checked this thread in a while.

The blogrolling widget is working well, Susan! Thank you again!

Re the shareable feed, we can still do this -- my only ? is where to put it. I'd be happy to volunteer my host, but we'd have to pick a domain name for it to signify that it's the "4Real Blog Feed Page" or something like that.... unless the mods want it done elsewhere, like here... or at 4reallearning.com, etc.

mom to five

marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 01 2007 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote marianne

Can I join the blogroll? I have a new blog - here's the link.

http://mariannedan.typepad.com/learning2love/

Momto5minnies
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 02 2007 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote Momto5minnies

I would love to join the 4 REAL LEARNING Bloggers too! I am not sure if this is the right method for inquiring or not.

My blog "A Wink and a Smile"

Thanks,
Elaine
Back to Top View Momto5minnies's Profile Search for other posts by Momto5minnies

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

I am new here, but I have enjoyed many of your blogs. I started one a month or two ago and have much to learn, but I would like to be added to the 4real bloggers too!
mine is: God's Canvas
I'll need to figure out the feed.

Thanks, Emily
Mommy to 5 and one in heaven
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version