Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Accepting outside help with hair Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 19 2007 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Jeanne Marie wrote:

The wonderful thing about caring for my daughters' hair is the time it takes can be a very good thing. The time together for hair care is a wonderful opportunity for togetherness. They read to me (pretend read; they are only 2 and 3 yr.), play with things while I am engaged with them or we just talk. This is time I HAVE to make for them and I have no distractions because the hair needs careful attention. I would also recommend that you make the hair care experience as peaceful and pain free as possible. I read a book (sorry don't remember the name) where women told about their emotionally painful experiences with their hair when they were children. I have tried to remember that and I keep hair time a pleasant and loving time. I have also been trying to instill in them a love for their curly hair. It is beautiful! Everyone loves those curls! They can't keep their hands off of it when we are out - Which actually bothers me :)

I just love this quote! There is just something so bonding about women and daughters and hair. I also love your advice to make this a peaceful time. my girls have super straight fine hair, and MC doesn't have much yet, but already with Laine I can see the need to take this time as an opportunity and not a hassle and burden.

Great first post!

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2007 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

My cousin adopted two AA children, the youngest is a girl with a full head of the curliest hair ever. Tricia was dumbfounded as to how to take care of it, she adopted her daughter at birth and the little sweetie had a full head even then. She finally found a salon that catered to AA people in a city not far away and went in and asked them to teach her to care for her daughter's hair. She said they were so nice and spent about an hour teaching her everything. They wouldn't even let her pay for their time.

She keeps the hair braided all over with little clips. It's adorable.

Maybe there is a similar salon nearby?

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 14 2007 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Anna at Pleasant View Schoolhouse has a post on her
daughter's dreadlocks. Very pretty.
I also second what Jeanne Marie said about hair care. Only here, Tracy, it's Dad who does the hair. My girls have long curly hair that needs lots of time, patience and conditioner to comb through - all of which they get at Dad's Hair Salon. Like anything, it can be time put to good use and turned into special 'quality' time.
And Welcome Jeanne Marie!

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 14 2007 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Please pardon my intrusion into the adoption forum . I was wondering why the over-forties were discussing adoption so much but I didn't even realiuze I clicked on the wrong forum. That's what happens when a forty-something mom types with her non-dominant hand while nursing...

Jesus,I trust in You!

Jeanne Marie
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 19 2007 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Jeanne Marie

Thank you for the welcome Tracy and Mrs. K!   Mrs. K, I have seen that post on dreadlocks and it had me considering them again - I really like the way they look. But I think that my girls should make that decision for themselves when they are older. The only way to change your hair from dreadlocks is to cut it all off!
Back to Top View Jeanne Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanne Marie

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Not according to this website.. They say that is a myth and you can comb them out with patience and lots of conditioner.

Jesus,I trust in You!

Jeanne Marie
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 19 2007 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Jeanne Marie

Very interesting! Thank you for the link. I still have so much to learn.
Back to Top View Jeanne Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanne Marie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version