Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: ordering maternity clothes online? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 23 2007 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I need a good source of maternity clothes online. The shopping around here isn't so great and involves a lot of driving. Right now I only have a couple pairs of maternity jeans, and they aren't holding up so well. I would like to switch to wearing skirts/dresses, at least much of the time.

Any suggestions?

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2007 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

You can try JCPenneys.com and also motherhood.com. I had a horrible time finding maternity clothes this time and was grateful I had saved a few pieces from my last 2 pregnancies. The quality of clothing really took a nosedive in the last 7 years! OH, and all the shirts are shorter this season, too! Comparing my old shirts to new shirts, they lost 2-4 inches off the bottom!

Unfortunately, the skirts I've found are all short (knee length or shorter) and the dresses have just been ugly. I did find a few cute pairs of pants at motherhood and I picked up a couple longer skirts on ebay.

Have fun shopping ;)

Melanie
Mom to Colin (6), Nate (4) and baby girl on the way in May!
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2007 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Good luck finding dresses. Last year, when I was pregnant, the dresses were so tight, short and low-cut!

I was able to get a couple of nice pantsuits from Motherhood. I actually prefer pants while I am pregnant. Dresses make me feel extra-huge!

I also got a nice pair of jeans from JC Penney.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2007 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Last time I was pregnant, the dresses looked like they were sized for teenaged girls. I had an awful time finding anything that fit and was forced to settle for maternity overalls.

I have the best luck at consignment stores (Ebay might work, too) because the styles from several years ago are more modest and much prettier, imho.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2007 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I have had some luck on ebay. The smaller your size, it seems, the easier it is. And since you can "close in" on selected categories (like dresses/skirts, whatever)...well, it does cut out alot of the searching.

I went to wearing all skirts and dresses back almost two years ago, now. And I am pregnant with twins, and finding it harder and harder to find anything that fits (I've probably got another 2-2 1/2 mos left, God willing and these boys stay in there that long)....I have told DH I will end up in white teeshirts and bedsheet toga dresses before this is all over.

I kwym about styles and materials. I need to go see Omar the Tentmaker to get something, somehow. I've gotten a couple of decent skirts from Motherhood--one actually from the store, and one on ebay....same design, same size, one in denim, the other in a khaki-ish twill. The khaki one seems to be a bit looser, so I will likely be able to wear it for a little while longer, but I'm not sure HOW long, considering I am gaining all up in the stomach, and not really anywhere else.

If you are looking for inexpensive, that's one thing. If you don't mind spending a little bit more, I believe that the Tznius (sp?) website has some skirts in the maternity section (not positive). Also, do a google search on "Maternity and Modest". That will pull up some good "leads" for you. There's one more site that I know makes/sells maternity skirts, but I'll have to go looking for it--it's something like "little touch of elegance" or "simply elegant" or something like that.

HTH

DEFINITELY hit up ebay, though. LOTS of folks selling stuff there, and you can sort thru, ask questions, etc, before bidding.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2007 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Oh, and I've found skirts and dresses to breathe better (esp in the lighter weight fabrics) than pants and such in the summer. The extra material may flow differently, but I'd rather have it flowing than sticking (which it seems every pair of pants I owned would do).

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2007 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Ok, this will be my last post tonight on this topic...lol

Do you sew or know someone who does? There are some good workable maternity patterns out there, that can be made.

Of course, that assumes you aren't having twins. I cannot fit into ONE of the patterns I own, as my dimensions have completely left the charts.

LOL

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2007 at 5:28am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I second EBAY! I've bought a whole new maternity wardrobe this time around all from ebay, and super cheap. I have found the maternity styles there that you no longer find at Motherhood/etc... long skirts cut for maternity, long dresses with empire waist, all summer type. I started all skirts/dresses (again, for about the 6th time in my life!!!) right after Molly was born 10 months ago, so last pregnancy was mostly jeans/pants too. I will admit though, I have some really cute matetnity capris that I will long to wear this time around again...

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2007 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

juststartn wrote:
I have had some luck on ebay.

I second that! I bought lots of great maternity and nursing clothes on eBay!

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2007 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I "third" or "fourth" ebay!
I've found nice things at thrift stores too.
and I "second" JCPenney too.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2007 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Thanks for all the tips! I checked out e-bay this weekend, but it seems like very few people are selling larges . I think I will just have to stake it out. I did a search on "modest maternity clothing" and came up with this link. It's not real cheap, though.

I think I may be going to Easter Mass in a pair of capris and a knit shirt!

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Peggy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 26 2007 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote Peggy

I am currently due with my sixth and because of bad varicose veins, I have to wear the super tight medical support hose as well as ace bandages wrapped around my legs just to get up in the morning, so I have found that loose, long skirts are definitely where I am most comfortable. I too have searched far and wide and just last week found some ankle length, elastic waist, flowing skirts at Dress Barn. We have an outdoor outlet center about twenty minutes from my home and I went in there looking for my daughter, but came out with some good finds for myself!! I'm not sure if Dress Barn has a website, but if you live near a store of theirs I found them to have just what I needed! Good Luck!

Peggy
Back to Top View Peggy's Profile Search for other posts by Peggy

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I just got this skirt in the mail today. It was about $29.50 or so from Motherhood.com. I got a small because I'm normally a size 6, but I think I should've ordered a medium. I love it, though.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I was looking last night....oh my. Not much of anything out there.

I'm looking for something basic, in a cotton or lightweight natural fabric. I wear a L/XL depending on the cut before pregnancy, but I'm having twins and am already measuring term--and I am over 28wks, barely.

I'm outgrowing my XL skirt that fits well. Denim is already too hot to wear. I can go to plus sizes, but it's hard to find anything that isn't going to hang off of me in the shoulders and other places, and still fit me in the stomach (which is where I have spread out--not really anywhere else).

I need bottoms--tops, so far, I am ok on, pretty much--Plus size, but "regular" (as in, not maternity) shirts are working for those. But not bottoms. I can't find a skirt made of anything not manmade or clingy or both. And trying to find maternity patterns that large are impossible (not to mention just finding one for skirts...).

Ugh.

Anyone got ideas, sources, even someone who can just sew me a few of these things?

I've got fabric, but I just can't sew right now...

SIGH

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Ruth, the skirt looks GREAT! You look so beautiful! Can't wait to watch this baby blossom!

I just won that skirt on ebay in medium. (it was $22.00, but came with two tops, so it was a pretty good deal.) I worried though that medium would be too big since I am also a size 6. Do you think it runs small? I guess I'm glad I got M seeing as how I growing at a crazy rate this time!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Rachel, this place is very pricey, but the stuff looks lovely. Round Belly

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Lisbet wrote:
I just won that skirt on ebay in medium. (it was $22.00, but came with two tops, so it was a pretty good deal.) I worried though that medium would be too big since I am also a size 6. Do you think it runs small? I guess I'm glad I got M seeing as how I growing at a crazy rate this time!

Hi Lisa, I just saw this. It runs very small. I'm also a size 6 and I'm not sure if they'll be room for my rear for much longer. I love it, though, so if I can afford it, I'll get a larger size as ime goes by.

I've looked at EBAY and didn't see any I'll keep trying.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2007 at 5:38am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

juststartn wrote:

Do you sew or know someone who does? There are some good workable maternity patterns out there, that can be made.

Does anyone know of any patterns? I'd like to make a skirt for my friend who is pregnant. I can't believe how difficult it is to find a pattern for a long maternity skirt!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version