Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Weight Watchers? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 11 2007 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

We sure did. Sorry, Krisann and all you WW ladies.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2007 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

No problem I've accidentally hijacked a thread or two in the past.

Blessings,
Krisann

DGC Kira, Auston, Travis, & Sarah.
My Blog: Isla del Esperanza
Back to Top View shartlesville's Profile Search for other posts by shartlesville Visit shartlesville's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2007 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I am sorry, Krisann!      God Bless you for your determination and courage and all you have accomplished! Now I need to get at it!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 12 2007 at 12:31am | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

I have been finding out a lot about myself on this program.
I've discovered that I like sauces on everything! I eat many healthy foods but the condiments I add to them really adds the calories. If I have broccoli I like to add cheese or butter. Apples taste better with peanutbutter. Carrots go great with spinach dip. My favorite breakfast is oatmeal with milk, brown sugar, raisins and walnuts added! This point system is teaching me a lot!

My idea of a healthy portion was also off, and today I'm realizing how much I like to snack-especially when I have my period!

Amazing what one can find out about themselves!

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 1:55am | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

humanaevitae wrote:
I have been finding out a lot about myself on this program.
I've discovered that I like sauces on everything! I eat many healthy foods but the condiments I add to them really adds the calories. If I have broccoli I like to add cheese or butter. Apples taste better with peanutbutter. Carrots go great with spinach dip. My favorite breakfast is oatmeal with milk, brown sugar, raisins and walnuts added! This point system is teaching me a lot!

My idea of a healthy portion was also off, and today I'm realizing how much I like to snack-especially when I have my period!

Amazing what one can find out about themselves!

Sounds like me! Everything tastes better with something else on it.

One of the hardest things has been training my tastebuds to like things a little plainer or finding low or no point alternative toppings; like fat free sour cream instead of regular or some of the calorie free butter sprays or low fat butter substitutes.

On broccoli I used to eat cheese or butter but now I eat it plain or with a little seasoned salt. Not quite the comfort food it was but still yummy and much healthier.

Do you do the online version? I really love the recipe builder because I can put in old stand-by recipes and find out how many points are really in a serving instead of trying to guesstimate or using individual ingredient point values. It takes a little effort to type it all in but I think it is worth it.

Blessings,
Krisann

Back to Top View shartlesville's Profile Search for other posts by shartlesville Visit shartlesville's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Krisann,

I found it interesting that you are eating more than you used to eat while on Flex. When I tried Core I felt like I was constantly hungry and eating, but with Flex I use my points right up. Sadly,I have an addiction to bread.    

On the weeks when I gain or stay the same, I think I can either go crazy figuring out what I did wrong, or I can just recommit myself to doing everything right. I compare it to those times when you are humming along spiritually, and God steps back a step to lead you on. You have to keep going down the road to reach the goal. You did everything right. Keep up the good work!    

I'm frustrated with the etools because I want it specifically to find out points before I cook meals with meat, but you have to know how much cooked meat is going into a recipe so I'm in a Catch 22. Have you figured out a way around that? Is there a raw to cooked meat converter somehwhere? Or do you just have to make the recipe once, measure it out, and then follow it carefully from then on?

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I've never signed up online, and I've never used etools. The way to figure out if a recipe works is to figure out the points of the raw ingredients using the nutritional info. on the packages or WW lists. Then divide it by how many adult sized portions you think the recipe makes.

BTW, I found that the cookbook Saving Dinner has over 90% of its recipes within an acceptable points range. Her recipes are very healthy, whole grain, etc.

Also, rather than committing each week to doing everything right, I have better success with setting one new goal each week or two for healthier living, like drinking more water, eating sweet potatoes instead of white, etc...No matter what program is used, its so easy to set ourselves up for failure.

The most important things that made the difference for me (I lost over 40 lbs in about 5 months and pretty much kept it off until I got pregnant) were these:

Eat a large portion of fruit or veggies with every meal and with at least one snack.

Drink juice in moderation (1 serving daily).

Limit grains and make sure they are whole grain. Rice or a baked potato is much more filling than pasta and much kinder to the waistline! lol

Eat plenty of protein...I ate a lot of chicken, lowfat yogurt, low fat beef mixed with nearly zero fat venison, and eggs.

Don't save points up all day. Eat well throughout the day, and save one or two points for an evening treat if you like that.

My sil has used WW after each pregnancy successfully, and she uses this mantra (and prayer, of course) when tempted, "I know what that tastes like already."

I use my full points allowance each day (without flex points), and on Sundays, we eat a nice healthy meal that I do not point out or measure, along with a regular Sunday treat (ice cream, baked goods, etc). Its the Lord's Day, a mini Easter, and I refuse to treat it like Lent. So I probably ended up using about 1/2 of my flex points in addition to my daily Sunday points.

And prayer and confession really make the difference, imho.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2007 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Krisann -

I apologize for my anti-WW rantings. I also have seen it work very well, and I'm glad that you are finding it helpful. And you're absolutely right - you were asking for encouragement. I should have started a separate thread about alternatives to WW rather than hijacking to vent my personal frustrations.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

Rachel May wrote:
Krisann,

I found it interesting that you are eating more than you used to eat while on Flex. When I tried Core I felt like I was constantly hungry and eating, but with Flex I use my points right up. Sadly,I have an addiction to bread.    

I too love bread, . The Sara Lee Delightful breads are only 1 point for two slices and they taste great. The 100% whole wheat w/honey is really good.

Quote:
I'm frustrated with the etools because I want it specifically to find out points before I cook meals with meat, but you have to know how much cooked meat is going into a recipe so I'm in a Catch 22. Have you figured out a way around that? Is there a raw to cooked meat converter somehwhere? Or do you just have to make the recipe once, measure it out, and then follow it carefully from then on?

You can type in your own recipe using the "raw" meat as an ingredient. You might have to scroll through to find the raw version but most of the meats have a cooked and an uncooked ingredient to choose from. The only one I have had trouble finding is stew meat, so I substituted another lean meat. (I bought super trim stew meat).

Bookswithtea wrote:
I've never signed up online, and I've never used etools. The way to figure out if a recipe works is to figure out the points of the raw ingredients using the nutritional info. on the packages or WW lists. Then divide it by how many adult sized portions you think the recipe makes.

The etools recipe builder makes that a lot easier, I love it. You can also save it so you can find it again later.

Quote:

BTW, I found that the cookbook Saving Dinner has over 90% of its recipes within an acceptable points range. Her recipes are very healthy, whole grain, etc.

I have a ton of Menu Mailer recipes. I had a one year sub to a couple different menus. Unfortunately most of the frugal MM and crock cooker MM recipes are high in calories and fat content. The low carb ones are much healthier. I haven't looked through all of them but so far I have only been using some chicken and fish recipes.

Quote:
The most important things that made the difference for me (I lost over 40 lbs in about 5 months and pretty much kept it off until I got pregnant) were these:

Eat a large portion of fruit or veggies with every meal and with at least one snack.

Drink juice in moderation (1 serving daily).

Limit grains and make sure they are whole grain. Rice or a baked potato is much more filling than pasta and much kinder to the waistline! lol

Eat plenty of protein...I ate a lot of chicken, lowfat yogurt, low fat beef mixed with nearly zero fat venison, and eggs.

Don't save points up all day. Eat well throughout the day, and save one or two points for an evening treat if you like that.

Great suggestions! I follow most of them but I really need to focus on the last one. I tend to skip the morning and start eating after 1 PM. I am trying to make sure that I eat something in the morning and then a good size lunch and it seems to be helping.

Quote:

My sil has used WW after each pregnancy successfully, and she uses this mantra (and prayer, of course) when tempted, "I know what that tastes like already."

I'll have to use that one, . I like to tell myself when my stomache is growling that it means my body is using up the stored energy so I am losing weight.

Blessings,
Krisann

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 12 2007 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

Dh finds it amusing that after years of him trying to get me to go to sleep earlier I am now eager to fall asleep because I am starving!!! but don't want to eat.

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Hey just checking in to see how everyone's doing. I've gained 2 lbs so I'm going back to food journaling this week.

Also, thanks for the recipe help. Stew meat is exactly the issue I was having!

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2007 at 12:45am | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

I am doing pretty well. I have been going to the gym as much as possible and logging everything. Some days I am amazed at how much more I need to eat, .

I am using my regular points and all my activity points but rarely using my flex points and I dropped the nursing points since he only nurses in the early morning (read middle of the night! ).

Yesterday the girls and I did a fat burner water aerobics class and Emily said, "I can really see a difference, you've lost weight."    A compliment from a teenager!

Kate is a little frustrated because she has only lost 5 lbs. but she has fewer pounds to lose. She has lost about a pound a week, which is right on target. She isn't giving up yet and hopefully she won't.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Blessings,
Krisann

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 28 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote helene

I personally feel like giving up....does anyone want mustard?

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2007 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

Don't give up! You can do it.

Hang in there. I know it is tough. Every third week I gain weight and end the week even or slightly up. I am thinking that it is water (hoping anyway ).

Mustard?      I don't think mustard has points unless you eat a LOT - mayo on the other hand .

What can we do to help you?

Blessings,
Krisann

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 29 2007 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote helene

Thanks, Krisann, for the encouraging words. I did great during Lent but have been kinda "off" since Easter....bad! I generally like WW and have been using it for about 6 years (off and on due to pregnancies) and my main problem is I get too bored with it and find it so tiresome to write everything down. During Lent I decided not to write anything down but just always eat 6 points for breakfast, 3 as a mid-morning snack, 6 for lunch, 4 for an afternoon snack and 6 for dinner. This was going great guns until Easter hit with all its chocolate! Now I don't even want to weigh myself for fear I already gained it back! Getting started again is half the battle. It is very hard to re-commit so many times, but I know it must be done!

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

Helene,

WW has a couple new things to make it easier to track points and they aren't outrageously expensive. I think the points calculator is $10 and a tracker/calculator is $20 or $25. I am sure they would be easier to use and are portable.

I am using the online service and keeping track of everything online. It does take some time but it really helps me to focus.

I LOVE to eat chocolate, but since I have been doing WW, I read the wrapper for everything and I am shocked by how much fat is in everything! It makes me nauseous just thinking about it. Sometimes I really just want junk food but I can't bring myself to eat any of it once I see the label.

I have found the 100 calorie packs are a great help when I really crave a sweet. Hershey came out with two new versions one is chocolate and one is peanut butter and they are both really good and only use 2 points. I have only seen them at Sam's Club but I am sure they have them other places.

Have you ever heard of the Fly Lady? She always says things like - start fresh from right now, you are not behind, leave the past behind and move forward. That is what you need to do. Don't worry if you gained some or all of it back, start fresh today and do the best you can. Forgive yourself and begin anew.   

Blessings,
Krisann

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 01 2007 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote helene

Thanks , Krisann! You are right. Don't look back. Look ahead. Reading the label has often kept me away from temptation, too. I like your 100 calorie pack idea. Did you know also that an envelope of Swiss Miss No Sugar Added hot cocoa is only one point? So are most other No Sugar Added cocoas. This has gotten me through many a winter! In the summer I can get my chocolate fix with Hendries Fudge Stix (fudgcicles) which are also one point. A half cup of mocha brownie frozen yogurt ( I forget the brand) is 2 points and makes a great snack to watch movies with. So does a whole bowl full of 94% fat free microwave popcorn for one point (maybe 1.5 points). With the summer coming on I can focus on fruit. Thanks for the re-inspiration!

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2007 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

shartlesville wrote:
I am doing pretty well.

"Pretty well"???? You are doing GREAT! Congratulations!

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2007 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

So how is everyone doing? I haven't really been able to post here or on my blog because I have been super busy.

We did an event last weekend and I had to get everything ready during the week and was at the event all weekend.   Now I am in Tucson!    I will be here all week. Cris has meetings and he brought me with him for some alone time and the kids are all at his parents down in Douglas, AZ.   

I lost .6 (yes that is point 6 ) pounds the week before last but last week I lost 1.6 pounds . Slow and steady wins the race, right.

Thanks for joining me on this journey! I hope everyone else had a good week.

Blessings,
Krisann

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version