Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: Something funny Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maturemomg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 06 2007 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Maturemomg

Perhaps it's not very charitable to poke fun at "professionals", but this migth help put some things in perspective.
Rosemary recently had her "big" 3 year old evaluation (for school purposes, IEP and all that). She has OT, PT, speech, adn regualr spec ed therapists all working with her. Each one (or team) had to come out and do the eval (extra time)for their area. Then we all come together and they share their findings (I NEVER learn anything new from "test" with ANY of my kids that I didn't know. You KNOW where they are at when you are with them.). The IEP is ANOTHER meeting. All this happens at my house, so I don't really care. (It is an excuse for us to pick up! ) My kids never "school" when they are here- i'm not sure what they think about how we do it...

Anyway, Rosemary is pretty smart. But, while she bables away and sounds like she's having a great conversation with someone, she doesn't speak words. And she won't point at things (pictures in a book, her nose, etc.)
Now, as I have said before, she can read (she will sign a word presented to her). At that time she could probably read about 15-20 words. She could sign about 100 (I know this because ds did a 4H project on it!) She uses sign to communicate. She will sit with a book (by herself) and sign away as she "reads" it, just like a child who talks might talk to themself as they read a book. We KNOW she knows things like nose and hair and ball.
HOWEVER, because she didn't POINT to them (she hated pointing to objects for a while) or SAY things she scored extremely low on the language/verbal part of it. I just laughed. It doesn't make any difference to me what their tests say- we (and they) will work on what needs working on. I pointed out that their tests didn't cover reading..... (most evaluations of any type for 36 month old kids, much less special needs kids, is unlikely to cover reading!) The coordinator of all this WAS kind of embarassed- she KNEW the tests didn't reflect accurate info, but had noting else to use.
So, my little munchkin who can read and sign is non-verbal and non-comunicative. Yep, right.

Take any test results they give you with a grain of salt. They CAN be useful, but are not anywhere near complete pictures of a child.

Yours in Christ,
Kathy
Back to Top View Maturemomg's Profile Search for other posts by Maturemomg

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version