Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: Welcome Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Hello, all,

I've been so inspired reading your stories....thanks so much for sharing them.

I fall into the camp of those who think fondly of Mary but don't have a real devotion to her. And, like so many others, feel drawn to her. I think this is a perfect opportunity to try to draw closer to her.

I was baptized in St. Mary's Parish as a baby, Our Lady of Good Counsel, and I while I don't know anything about Mary under that title I often turn to her under that title.

Thanks for starting this, Helen.

edited to add: I decided to see what I could find out about Our Lady of Good Counsel. When I began reading this I got excited because her memorial day is so close to my birthday (memorial 4/26)....well, I got teared up later in the reading when I saw that Pope Leo XIII authorized the insertion of Our Lady of Good Counsel in the Litany of Loreto on April 22--my birthday!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Annie, I have goosebumps reading your harrowing and beautiful tale of sorrow and redemption and the tremendous love of a mother--both a heavenly mother and an earthly one.

How amazing that the Mother of us all healed you when you entered into motherhood. It is an incredibly beautiful testament.

Thank you so much for sharing this story with us. It is such a gift.

Marie, I love hearing your story about Our Lady of Good Counsel. How perfect and significant!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Oh, Annie, what an inspiring and awesome story!!! WOw!!

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

MarieC wrote:
Hello, all,

I've been so inspired reading your stories....thanks so much for sharing them.

I fall into the camp of those who think fondly of Mary but don't have a real devotion to her. And, like so many others, feel drawn to her. I think this is a perfect opportunity to try to draw closer to her.

I was baptized in St. Mary's Parish as a baby, Our Lady of Good Counsel, and I while I don't know anything about Mary under that title I often turn to her under that title.

Thanks for starting this, Helen.

edited to add: I decided to see what I could find out about Our Lady of Good Counsel. When I began reading this I got excited because her memorial day is so close to my birthday (memorial 4/26)....well, I got teared up later in the reading when I saw that Pope Leo XIII authorized the insertion of Our Lady of Good Counsel in the Litany of Loreto on April 22--my birthday!

Oh, that is so beautiful!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Lissa,
I am a cradle Catholic. I grew up in a home that had a huge rug-like image of Mary hung over the family altar.

And I have always felt just like you.

I love Mary. I embrace her as my mother. But I have never found that relationship that I hear Helen and Alice speak of.

Reading Alice's Coffers of Grace the other day, my heart broke more for the lose of family memory-making than any thought of Mary. Of course it was just a statue but, as Alice so poignantly observed:

"I hastened to remind them that Our Lady was still with us, even if her image was beyond repair. They knew it already--that was plain--but it was the kind of comfort one gives to the victim of a flood who has just lost her wedding album."

Like you, Lissa, I stand outside that candy shop but it is the throngs of adorers that keep me out. There are too many people hustling to get her attention. There are too many people standing in line. I am discouraged and unable to beg a kind look from her eyes.

I have often ventured away from her candy shop. I've visited St. Monica's house. I've sat in the kitchen of Martha and Mary and tasted other delicacies. I often visit my grandmother and patron saint, St. Anne, in her quiet cottage because I know she's always there waiting for me...like most grandmothers do. She is never too busy with other children. She waits lonely and anxiously for a visit from her grandchildren. She always has time for me.

And in the past years (as many of you already know), I have visited the lacemaker's shop of Venerable Zelie Martin (mother of St. Therese the little flower). She is not my mother, but a worthy mentor. So much so, I have written about my visits to and with Madame Martin. I've studied Story of a Family in much the same way some people study their Bible.

I have been blessed and nourished by all these visits.

Yet somehow, like now, I am guided back to Mary's sweet shop. The saints encourage me to go back and to wait in line. They bid me to be patient and wait. They counsel me not to become impatient. But I am a child...

And I stand next to you looking in...wistfully...at the throngs of adorers. Wondering. Wondering if there is a spot for me.

And then Helen guides me to this oasis. And I find Mary, in this oasis, sitting under a palm tree, beckoning me...

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Cay Gibson wrote:
And then Helen guides me to this oasis. And I find Mary, in this oasis, sitting under a palm tree, beckoning me...

So beautiful, Cay.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Thank you to everyone for your beautiful & inspiring stories. Also thank you to Helen for starting this forum - truly through the hand of our beloved Mother.

As way of an introduction, I'd like to chime in & let you know that I've been very comforted & surprised(!!) to read about how some of you have had to work at devotion to Our Lady. I have also had to work at it & have had that same experience of meeting people who are very devoted & wonder why I was not.

A year ago this past December, I started praying for the grace to love Our Lady more fully and I started going to her with all my motherly/womanly concerns. I had been dressing modestly for awhile but wanted to work on dressing more femininely as well so I went to Her with that request and, yes, She showed me the way. This past Christmas season, I could not figure out where to put our Christmas tree and asked her help. A few days later, She picked out the perfect spot!

So please know that for those of us who do not have a "natural" devotion to Our Lady, the effort of prayer is truly worth it.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Alice and Lissa thank you for your kind words, as it is not an easy thing to talk about with such detail.     I have recently embarked on another mercury detox but this time doing it privately. This can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing, it is just that I have learnt so much about detoxing for this purpose.    

I had prayed novena's to Our Lady of Guadalupe for my physical health late last year (mercury still interfering with thyroid and the thyroid medication) and I discovered great products to do it with - I ordered them from the US and it arrived the day before Our Lady of Guadalupe's feast day, ready for me to start on that day!   I know I am in good hands with this detox - and that little sign is a comfort.

MarieC wrote:

Marie this a book for you!   Mother of Good Counsel of Genezzano.   It is a big and fairly thick book with pictures and the FULL story - when the image was still in Albania and then when it flew to Italy. My heart was really drawn closer to Our Blessed Mother on reading this book, it is really one of my all-time favourites - her maternal love is tangible on every page, you would love it!   

When I bought it from Seton, they also sold a photo of the image 10x8 and I received permission to have a negative made from it and we had it blown to a little more than the original size, it hangs in our lounge where we school.    

You'll have to put this book on a birthday wish list! (April is not too far away.)

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

I don't know where to begin...
Well, my birthday is December 12 and from the time I was old enough to realize I was so very pleased that this was the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. And my name is Maria.

I remember once meeting Bishop Keating (my parents were involved in the hispanic apostolate for our diocese, so they had several occasions to talk with him) right around my birthday. Someone told him it was coming up. He remarked how wonderful it was that I shared the day with Our Lady. And then (don't remember exactly, I was a little girl) he said something along the lines about how special she was as a protector of life and how perhaps I would have a special love for children and be blessed as a mother. I remember thinking at the time how cool that was because I was crazy for babies from the time I was very young, and now well, I have 7 dear children and I LOVE Our Lady of Guadalupe so very much.

I think I tried Total Consecration once as part of a youth group, never finished. And I must admit there is part of me that fears it. I know drawing closer to Our Lady will change me, make me grow and be a great blessing, but it is the fear of the unknown.

Right now my husband is in great spiritual darkness. He so loves Our Lord and the Church and wants to be a man of God, but fears failing and feels right now that he just can't measure up, no matter what he does (we have some financial debt from many years of very low income that we are working through and some other issues). My heart (and eyes) weep for him daily. I have started the Rosary novena and my heart feels like its being broken even more as I lift him up in prayer.

I have been so remiss in drawing my children close to Mary.

So well, here I am. And may I add, feeling so blessed to be surrounded by so many women who love Our Lady enough to share this hidden treasure.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

BrendaPeter wrote:
Thank you to everyone for your beautiful & inspiring stories. Also thank you to Helen for starting this forum - truly through the hand of our beloved Mother.

As way of an introduction, I'd like to chime in & let you know that I've been very comforted & surprised(!!) to read about how some of you have had to work at devotion to Our Lady. I have also had to work at it & have had that same experience of meeting people who are very devoted & wonder why I was not.

A year ago this past December, I started praying for the grace to love Our Lady more fully and I started going to her with all my motherly/womanly concerns. I had been dressing modestly for awhile but wanted to work on dressing more femininely as well so I went to Her with that request and, yes, She showed me the way. This past Christmas season, I could not figure out where to put our Christmas tree and asked her help. A few days later, She picked out the perfect spot!

So please know that for those of us who do not have a "natural" devotion to Our Lady, the effort of prayer is truly worth it.

Brenda, I too was (happily) surprised to hear that others have "worked at" their devotion to Our Lady. I had really assumed that it was something that came naturally, and I just didn't have it.

I have to tell you all what happened this morning. I was up early with the baby, and after reading Katherine's wonderfully informative posts on the "how many rites" thread, I remembered seeing a sign for a Maronite Catholic Church near here, and on a whim I Googled it. When the photo at the top of the church's website appeared on my screen, I had a double "You're kidding me! You're kidding me!" moment. The first thing was that I instantly recognized the round blue roof of the church as a structure that my girls and I had spotted on an aerial view map of San Diego over the summer. We had wondered if the round blue structure we saw was perhaps a carousel, and we have been meaning to go and look for it ever since we got here.

The second "you're kidding me" was that next to the church is a shrine with a very large statue of the Blessed Mother. She is holding the Infant Jesus, and when I clicked on the Shrine info page, there was a link for Consecration to the Blessed Virgin.

I drove over to see the shrine this afternoon, and it turns out I have driven past it dozens of times since we moved here. But it weren't for the "how many rites" thread, it might have been months before I learned of its existence.

I really have to laugh!! When Alice suggested I pray for Mary to show me she is my mother, she added, "She always answers that kind of prayer in a special way!" I can't believe my stumbling upon the shrine today was a coincidence. Alice, I can just imagine you making a prayer request of your own..."Send her a sign, Blessed Mother--better make it a big one!" As big as a 20-foot statue in my new hometown! LOL LOL LOL!!

The statue is called Mariam, Mother of Life.

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

msclavel wrote:
I don't know where to begin...
Well, my birthday is December 12 and from the time I was old enough to realize I was so very pleased that this was the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. And my name is Maria.

I remember once meeting Bishop Keating (my parents were involved in the hispanic apostolate for our diocese, so they had several occasions to talk with him) right around my birthday. Someone told him it was coming up. He remarked how wonderful it was that I shared the day with Our Lady. And then (don't remember exactly, I was a little girl) he said something along the lines about how special she was as a protector of life and how perhaps I would have a special love for children and be blessed as a mother. I remember thinking at the time how cool that was because I was crazy for babies from the time I was very young, and now well, I have 7 dear children and I LOVE Our Lady of Guadalupe so very much.

I think I tried Total Consecration once as part of a youth group, never finished. And I must admit there is part of me that fears it. I know drawing closer to Our Lady will change me, make me grow and be a great blessing, but it is the fear of the unknown.

Right now my husband is in great spiritual darkness. He so loves Our Lord and the Church and wants to be a man of God, but fears failing and feels right now that he just can't measure up, no matter what he does (we have some financial debt from many years of very low income that we are working through and some other issues). My heart (and eyes) weep for him daily. I have started the Rosary novena and my heart feels like its being broken even more as I lift him up in prayer.

I have been so remiss in drawing my children close to Mary.

So well, here I am. And may I add, feeling so blessed to be surrounded by so many women who love Our Lady enough to share this hidden treasure.

Maria, what a lovely story about Bishop Keating.

My heart goes out to your husband. Financial burdens can take such a toll on a man who feels keenly the responsibility to provide for his family. I always think about the "jubilee year" custom in the Old Testament, in which all debts were forgiven and erased every seven years--mustn't that have been instituted in recognition of the extreme burden debt can place upon a man's soul?

Perhaps we could pray for a sort of spiritual "jubilee" for your husband, and indeed for all husbands who struggle with any kind of faith issue.

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Lissa,

What a great story about finding the shrine in your area. I'm glad Our Lady has already started pulling you closer. What a happy day.

Out in the Orchard

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

aussieannie wrote:
Marie this a book for you!   Mother of Good Counsel of Genezzano.   It is a big and fairly thick book with pictures and the FULL story - when the image was still in Albania and then when it flew to Italy. My heart was really drawn closer to Our Blessed Mother on reading this book, it is really one of my all-time favourites - her maternal love is tangible on every page, you would love it!   

When I bought it from Seton, they also sold a photo of the image 10x8 and I received permission to have a negative made from it and we had it blown to a little more than the original size, it hangs in our lounge where we school.    

You'll have to put this book on a birthday wish list! (April is not too far away.)

This is certainly going on my birthday wish list! I'm lucky....this year I get to celebrate right along with our youngest. His 1st birthday will be April 24 (which was the date I was due 37 years ago!). Thanks so much for the book suggestion...it looks just beautiful.

Out in the Orchard

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Cay Gibson wrote:
Lissa,
I am a cradle Catholic. I grew up in a home that had a huge rug-like image of Mary hung over the family altar.

And I have always felt just like you.

Cay, it's so nice to have you here in the oasis!

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I am in awe of all that has been written. I, too, feel like Lissa and Cay. I've always felt drawn to Mary, but I can't seem to get to the place I want to be with her.

Thinking of this, I'm reminded about what I pray each time I undergo a Csection--Hail Mary, full of grace...
This prayer gives me such peace, and here I forgot about it. I worry and am nervous before each surgery, but once I start praying, I focus more on her than on the surgery.

I'm really looking forward to this journey with all of you faithfilled women. Thank you, Helen and Alice (and Elizabeth for having this forum).

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Lissa, Do you want an even bigger "you gotta be kidding me?" I clicked on the link to the Maronite church in your area. It's called St. Ephrem. In the Eastern Church it's his feast tomorrow and from the sounds of your post, I bet you were there just before Vespers for his feast was prayed.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

kjohnson wrote:
Lissa, Do you want an even bigger "you gotta be kidding me?" I clicked on the link to the Maronite church in your area. It's called St. Ephrem. In the Eastern Church it's his feast tomorrow and from the sounds of your post, I bet you were there just before Vespers for his feast was prayed.

Oh my goodness!!!! I didn't go inside the church, but now I wish I had!

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 12:07am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Thank you so very much Helen, Alice, and all for this most wonderful opportunity. I sit here tonight reading your incredible insights and testimonials sniffing and wiping away tears. Oh, there is something in each of your posts that I can so identify with! Anne, WHAT an incredible witness you are to the power of Our Lady! And Lissa, WOW, it looks as though Our Lady has waved you down with her big, round, BLUE (!), rooftop hankie !

As for myself, I made my Monfortian Consecration to Mary on August 15, 1997 - the feast of the Assumption of Mary along with my fiance (now my DH) and some close friends.

Like many of you, my relationship with "Mama Mary" (as my children call her)has waxed and waned. It has only been in the recent past that I have begun to feel a greater closeness to her than ever before.

When I look back, however, I see the power of my Heavenly Mother's intercession on my behalf. I was born on the feast of the miracle of the sun at Fatima. My Italian parents named me "Maria" after an aunt, not realizing it was a Marian feast on which I was born. I was baptized 6 months later on the Feast of the Annunciation (again, not planned). As if this isn't enough, my husband's b-day is on the feast of the presentation of Mary. We were planning to be married on the feast of the Assumption, but our Lord had other plans. We were so disappointed that that feast would not work out for us. I remember praying the decade of the Assumption over and over again in petition for us to possibly have that Marian feast day, the day that we were consecrated to her, as our wedding day. In a strange twist of events we were married in a completely different Church (and in a different country!)than we had planned. And though we were not married on that day, the name of the Church that we were married was "Our Lady of the Assumption"! And on our wedding day, DH and I consecrated our marriage to her in an outdoor shrine after our Nuptial Mass.

Oh, how many times I have found those words to Mary in the Memorare to be true, "Never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help or sought your intercession was left unaided". So many times when I am asked to pray and cannot find words I begin, "Hail Mary.." Those words are the most comforting and comfortable words in the world to me, and yet, in all my wretchedness I cannot begin to plumb their depths and grasp them fully.

I so look forward to future discussions here with you all!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote mariB

To everyone,

I will be joining this also. I'm a Catholic revert and I have had trouble at times with devotions to Mary. But at our local Catholic bookstore the book Rome Sweet Rome just shined like a beacon to me. I bought and read it. Our dear Lord and Our Lady knew that was the book that I needed.

What better way to be drawn to Mary with all my past doubt that to listen to a Prostestant converted to the Catholic faith.

It was like the Lord opened my heart and my mind with that one book!
I feel so happy now for up until then I felt so torn about the Catholic faith.

I read all the posts and I feel moved again. You are so humble and the post of Annie's was so moving.

Thank you.

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

MaryMary wrote:
Thank you so very much Helen, Alice, and all for this most wonderful opportunity. I sit here tonight reading your incredible insights and testimonials sniffing and wiping away tears. Oh, there is something in each of your posts that I can so identify with! Anne, WHAT an incredible witness you are to the power of Our Lady! And Lissa, WOW, it looks as though Our Lady has waved you down with her big, round, BLUE (!), rooftop hankie

LOL!! What's funny is that it was that beautiful blue color that caught my eye on the aerial view map this summer, and of course that's what jumped out at me in the picture on the website. But when I visited yesterday, the roof was white! It must have been recently painted. There is a small blue dome at the very top, but the rest is white. I have actually glimpsed that (white) roof many times without connecting it to the blue "carousel" we were on the lookout for. The new white paint hid it from me until now!

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version