Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: Should I read these books? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 23 2006 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

The reason I am posting under Special Blessings is that if I didn't have special needs children. I wouldn't even be asking the question. I have heard so many good things about The Latin-Centered Curriculum and A Thomas Jefferson Education that I am very interested in reading one or both. On the other hand, are they at all applicable for a child who may never study Latin or even be fully independent as ad adult? (I'm thinking of Joseph.) Will reading these books make me feel inadequate or are they just good reading about education in general? For example I have found E. D. Hirsch's books to be of great interest as well as the books I have read on mathematics education and education in Japan; they have improved my hsing without making me feel like a failure.

Why I am concerned? I remember reading articles in Growing Without Schooling and later in other magazines that always made me feel bad about myself as a hser. I know I shouldn't, but it is sort of like listening to someone speak at length about how advanced her presumably gifted child is and how well she is doing with relatively little help* when I am struggling to get my son to be potty-trained and to understand "behind" and "under." If I could look over the books at my local Border's, I would, but I can't.

*This has happened to me although Kristin was at least potty-trained at the time......

What do you think? Should I risk the money? I will probably get some gift money for my birthday, and I was thinking about buying a book, but I don't want to regret spending the money!

Thank you.

In Christ,
Deborah
Mom of four Special Blessings.....
Back to Top View mom3aut1not's Profile Search for other posts by mom3aut1not

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 23 2006 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Deborah, I haven't read either of the books you mentioned. When I am *on the fence* about a particular book, I will get it through my library or the Inter-Library Loan so I can look it over. Have you tried that yet? I just checked with mine and they are both available through the ILL system.

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Personally, I would go ahead and read them. Just because our "special kids" may not reach a level of their peers or ever live independently, doesn't rule out the benefits that they may receive from being exposed to such things.

If you're a member of the CCM list (very easy to join if you're not), you should be able to access this thread, particularly this post. I have it printed out and posted in a prominent place in my kitchen!

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2007 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Paula,

Thank you for the reminder. The Marina system (all of MD's public libraries) don't have either book. I really should learn how to get books from other states. This is my 16th year of hsing I think, and I still haven't learned! Okay, my New Year's Resolution is to find out how to do ILLs from other states.

In Christ,
Deborah

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Taffy,

I did get LCC which I did find interesting. It's a good reminder to focus on the essentials which may not be Latin in our case... and also to consider what are the essentials... I do think that special needs children deserve poetry, art, and music -- a generous curriculum-- as much as other kids even if they don't always understand as much.

I am not sure I want to get TJE tho' .... From what I've read it's meant for children who are going to be the leaders of our country. Hhmmm. I guess I'll mull it over some more and plan to put it on my list of "Things to Check Out."

In Christ,
Deborah

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version