Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: unschooling for autistic kids??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sasyjohnson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 20 2006 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote sasyjohnson

Hi-
Does anyone have any experience with multiple special needs kids and unschooling? I have 3 autistic boys that I'll be homeschooling plus a high schooler. I have a cirriculum already set for my high schooler. I have concerns about spreading myself too thin. How do I monitor progress with my "unschooled" kids? I really like the concept of unschooling, but I need help thinking in the untraditional realm of unschooling. My kids are very intelligent, but do not test well at all. They are naturally curious, and they love to do things that interest them. I'd love to hear what anyone has to offer--regarding unschooling multiple kids, and special needs kids at that. Thanks.
Sheryl
Back to Top View sasyjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by sasyjohnson

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2006 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Hi Sheryl, welcome to the board!

I'm not sure if I can offer you anything useful - I am "homeschooling" only my oldest who is autistic and afterschooling/summerschooling my middle boy (the youngest is simply along for the ride ).

There is at least one person here who is home schooling 4, 3 with autism and hopefully she will respond to your post.

FWIW, I've posted my plans at my blog - you can access them here.

Hope that helps a little.

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2006 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Hi Sheryl,
Here's the blog of a lady who has 7 children, at least 2 on the autistic spectrum Apple Stars

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2006 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Sheryl and Taffy,

I am not sure if you are referring to me. I have four kids, three autistic. However, I am not hsing all four currently -- two have graduated from high school. I never really tried unschooling my autistic kids -- at least not as I understand unschooling. I focused on phonics (it took years), lots of read alouds for science and history, hands on science, and the Faith with my older autistic kids. I did delay spelling and grammar until they could read. (I really don't see the point of doing spelling or much in the way of grammar until a child can read fairly well.)

What I do do is make goals -- it may only be "Progress in understanding of phonics." It may be "Learn that the skin keeps out germs and keeps internal organs in." It may be "Be exposed to a variety of classical music and folk songs." What do I really want a child to learn? Then I figure out what will help me to accomplish that task. (It also means that if a book or kit has material unrelated to my goals, I keep in mind that I don't care if he learns that material even if the author or kit-maker does.)

Otoh, if your kids are capable of following their own interests, use those as courses and add those other items you feel are really necessary. Perhaps have them do writing on topics of interest, but decide what kind of writing you really want them to do?

Right now, my autistic 18 yo is pursuing some of her own interests, and these will translate into courses for her (Japanese Culture, Testiles. Ethics and Issues), but she also has to do World History and/or American History, etc. I want her to do some writing of essays and reports because that is an essential skill. So we are both what she likes and what she needs. (She wants to graduate next June so she has a lot of stuff to do by then.)

My autistic 6 yo has things he must do, but then he is required to spend much less time on things he has no interest in.

In Christ,
Deborah
Back to Top View mom3aut1not's Profile Search for other posts by mom3aut1not

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version