Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: Penance and the special blessings child Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 21 2005 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

We are going to Penance tonight for Easter. As always, I have a little bit of anxiety with my John going to Penance. I know that he knows what sin is and what he has done wrong, but I still can't get him to memorize his Act of Contrition. Also, I think that if I didn't go over the basic format of Confession with him each time, he would be lost. He does have short term memory issues. Also, I kind of suspect that he likes to "help" by recounting some of his siblings transgressions too. For the last couple of times we have positioned an older sibling in front of him in the line to "warn" the priest that he will be next, then I go after him for a little follow up with the priest.
I could have him go to the priest that heard his First Penance, but lately we have been attending church at a Passionist Monastery parish that we are thinking of joining. There are many priests there so it is sometimes hard to get a familiar one. I don't honestly think that any of this bothers John at all. Just makes me a little anxious. Does anyone else go thru this with their special blessing child?

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2005 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Mary Ann,

I will be praying for you and for John tonight. No words of wisdom as I don't have a special blessing like you do, but wanted you to feel some comfort from knowing that you will be prayed for!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2005 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

Thanks Jennifer!!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 21 2005 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Dear Mary Ann,
I think what you have described is very common with special kids and with some kids who are just young and immature. If he's reading, I'd let him go in with a cheat sheet: List the entire process in order. Talk him through the examination of conscience and write it all down for him and let him read the act of contrition when the time comes. I also think your idea about the order in which you go is awesome

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Dear Mary Ann:

I too have to "warn" the priest that Ryan is his next person in line. They all pretty much know him so it is getting easier. They know his verbal skills are not quite up to most people's and they are very patient. I have him gothrough an examination of conscience and he writes down his sins. He is fine on the Act of Contrition. He brings his list with him and he can use it if he gets confused.

I teach the autistic children in our CCD program and at the moment I have three First Communicants who just received their First Confession. Those who could read took lists with them and they were fine. All of the priests were very patient once they new what the issues were and it was a lovely experience for everyone.

I would recommend doing the best you can to get to know one of the priests where John will go to confession. I have called the rectory and asked for a private face-to-face confession. If I explain the circumstances they are always happy to accomodate me. Maybe this is something to consider to make him to feel comfortable and to have the same priest as often as possible.

Another thing is to not worry too much about how he confesses. If he is repentant and just manages to express sorrow for his sins he can receive absolution.

God is fully aware of your son's difficulties and I am sure Our Father is so pleased tht you are worried for your son's sanctity like this but you are doing a really good job making sure he is aware of his sins and the need to confess them. The rest will come with time and habit and God's grace. I know from what I speak.

I will say a prayer that John makes a good confession and that he has a shining, clean soul for Easter!

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2005 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

Thanks everyone, for your input! John does read, but at a 2nd grade level. If I had everything written out for him he would be asking the priest to read some of the words for him

MEBarrett wrote:
Dear Mary Ann:

God is fully aware of your son's difficulties and I am sure Our Father is so pleased tht you are worried for your son's sanctity like this but you are doing a really good job making sure he is aware of his sins and the need to confess them. The rest will come with time and habit and God's grace. I know from what I speak.

I will say a prayer that John makes a good confession and that he has a shining, clean soul for Easter!

Thanks, Mary Ellen, for reminding me that John is a special gift sent to us by God. I was getting caught up in unneccesary worry. I managed to find the priest that John had for Penance at Christmas time. I followed him in line, with my usual explanations. The priest was very sweet, said that we could all learn a lot from John, and that he was a great blessing. And he truly is. John and I were going over the parts of the Mass yesterday. He couldn't remember the word Consecration at all, yet he could give a beautiful word for word and gesture by gesture explanation of what went on during the Consecration. Truly a heartwarming moment!

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2005 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I'm with joy reading about your precious gift from God, Mary Ann.

My son was born with one ear (mycrotia). I'm always concerned because confession is so quiet, that the priest will not hear Zach (he's so quiet), and that he won't hear the priest. He needs to put his good ear toward the priest. I tell him just to explain it to the priest if he has trouble listening.

Zach has a tough time remembering sometimes the formula for Confession, so we always review it, but then again, so does his big brother.

God has given us precious special gifts to treasure, indeed!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version