Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: Food related behavior Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 13 2005 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Oh, eek! ! can't believe what happened yesterday...

Paul was sitting in on Trip's early morning music theory lesson, as he does every Saturday morning, before his group violin class. He asked if he could get a snack (it's a college, so there are vending machines everywhere). He usually gets a small bag of potato chips, so I said yes. He came back with a bag of M&Ms and an iced tea. By the time his class began, he could not stop talking, and when other kids were doing "solo time," he was on the floor shaking his head back and forth. An hour later, he was more-or-less back to "normal."

Now I'm looking at the mix of possible contributors: Food coloring, caffeine, chocolate, and sugar. Or maybe all these things in combination made him unstable. He has made tremendous progress lately both in behavior and learning that I was really frightened for a bit...I know that many people have posted about food before, but I never really gave it much thought. We don't often have much food coloring in the house, and Paul does like tea, but it rarely has that effect on him. In fact, green tea, which he enjoys, calms him. He does not care for chocolate, so I was very surprised that he go M&Ms. He sometimes enjoys Reeces Pieces without any ill effects.

If it is the color in M&Ms, is there one color that is worse than others? Could he eat just the brown ones?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2005 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

With my one child that is affected by food color, it is definitely the red. The effect is immediate. His eyes get dark circles under them and he gets tense and angry.

he knows to stay away from it and does a pretty good job.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 13 2005 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Red is the worst, followed closely by yellow. But I'm wondering about the tea, too. There might have been coloring in it but there's a great chance that there was corn syrup in it and in the M&M's. That's a connection worth exploring. Oh, and there is definitely a connection with food and nighttime wetting --whether it's food coloring or corn syrup, I'm not sure because it seems like everytime we have a food coloring issue, we have a corn syrup one too. I will say that you have very little time to figure this out, because the more independent he is, the less you can control and the more things he'll consume that you don't know about. Last summer, Christian was allowed to go to the pool by himself. They sell ice cream (with aritficial everything in it) and soda there. It took me a while to figure out what was happening. And it might be worth joining Feingold just for a year to get foodlists and other helpful support...and BTW, those innocent pure white marshmallows? Corn syrup, artificial flavoring and BLUE!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version