Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: learning issues after seizures Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
saigemom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote saigemom

My dd 8 is having some learning issues after having a grand mal seizure. she was starting multiplication before, but now she is having problems with multiple column addition. Plus, she is counting out her single digit addition. She can't remember what they are.

I am not putting pressure on her, but she is very frustrated with herself. It doesn't help that her little brother 7 is now at the same place as her in math. This makes her mad. She yells and screams when she gets something wrong or when she has a hard time with something that she knows she used to be able to do.

Has anyone else had a similar experience post seizure? How did you help your child through it?

She is currently taking topomax, which I am told can slow her thinking.
Back to Top View saigemom's Profile Search for other posts by saigemom

saigemom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote saigemom

Is my child the only one having these symptoms post seizure? I was told that it was normal. Is it not?

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Did she have the seizure recently?   My ds 10 was slow for a couple of weeks after his last grand mal seizures.

She could also be stressed just because of the frustration, maybe?

I too have heard that Topomax can slow down cognitive processes. My ds was on it very briefly until they found it was contraindicated because of his liver disease. He seemed a little spacier when he was on it -- maybe they could work on adjusting the dosage a little?

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

I found that the day of the seizure my ds is a little fuzzy. And then with a med change, even an increase in dose of the same meds, it can take several days until he's himself again regarding school work. Those are the days we do a craft, an art project, or just a math drill worksheet.

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

I just noticed that your dd is on Topomax. My poor guy was really painfully slow on that. It was so sad to see him try and verbalize his thoughts while on it. The neurologist says it's nickname is "dopomax" because of the effect it has on some. Yet, I have heard of great outcomes of others using it.

saigemom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote saigemom

momtomany

The seizure was in August, so it has been a little bit. They put her on triliptol first, but she had a toxic reaction to it and they had to take her off. I really don't want to change her meds again because she seems to be more stable on topomax.

I did talk to her neurologist last week and they are referring her to have a psychoneurological examination to get a baseline and check for LD. she is also going to the children's hospital in November.

Willa,

I think the frustration is a big part of it.

I have switched her math to full time Noble Knights w/ no quizzes or grades and that seems to be helping to lower the frustration. It also seems to be helping her regain/retain her math skills

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version