Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: Depression in kids...what to do? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lovemy4
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 12 2009 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote lovemy4

* I found some tips by doing a search, so never mind! I should have tried that first.*

Hi
I am hoping someone with experience in this area can help me.

My 2 boys (age 6, 4)(also have Aspergers) have depression that really seems to be worsening in the past month.

I am afraid of the medicine option BUT I don't know what else to do. I think one boy is pretty severe. Thank God at least he talks to us!

The Pediatric Psy that diagnosed them offically wants us to take them to a place that specializes in Autism since whe thinks that the main reason for the depression...coping with life situations.

We meet with the one place within a 50 mile radius that does so. Highly recommended by people. To help with the socialization training etc.)

When I talk to him he is recommending EEG neurofeedback for the depression. The social skills training and whatever else won't be as effective for the depression part.

Apart from the fact that insurance does not cover any of this. I have no idea how well this works, BUT it's not a drug.

Has anyone heard or had experience with this, or have any ideas of anything else I can do to help them? They get vitamins, cod liver oil and / or omega 3's almost every day.
BABY Crying have to run, but please give me ideas.

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

Hi,
I just have a minute here, but have you had their vitamin D levels checked? My ds was REALLY low and this can affect so much. I know it can involve much more that just vitamins but this one is easy to fix. The new RDA for kids is 400IU/day.
Hoping you find some answers!
Anne
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

In the Sept 15, 2009 Washington Post Health section, there is a very interesting article, I think it is titled, Running for My Life, Treating Severe Depression with Exercise.

You have to register with the Post to view the article. This woman was going on super long walks and runs as a teen.

Milehimama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote Milehimama

My son is dx with bipolar and has depression/low moods.

Have you looked into choline? Also, a mood journal/tracking helped me identify triggers.

Back to Top View Milehimama's Profile Search for other posts by Milehimama Visit Milehimama's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version