Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: I am Baptist, but can you help me?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 04 2009 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

coming in a little late here, but . . .

I am not catholic either. deep respect for catholics tho and try to incorporate some of the ideas and practices!!

every year dh and I prayerfully decide something to give up. this year for me it is amazon.com--no buying books, or hunting for books!! for him he is fasting one meal per day. Usually for me some kind of "shopping fast" is most meaningful . . .

I am also reading through a book by Henri Nouwen Show Me the Way: Daily Lenten Readings. Wow, it is so good. It is really affecting me. I have tried it in year's past and it didn't get me--so I don't know what's different this year. I've done a lot of inner healing in the past 2 years and maybe I can "hear" it now. Excellent book!!

A good Protestant book on the Cross is by John Stott, the Cross of Christ. My husband often reads from this book around Good Friday. Excellent and very deep.

We also often try to incorporate a "mini-passover". Sometimes we do this the Thursday before Easter. We basically serve lamb, crackers, charoset salad, horseradish, a green, an egg, etc. and explain what each thing means. I do have a nice children's book on the passover. We don't do this every year but some years.

And dh and I try to go to a Good Friday service. We are new in this community so not sure where we'll go. Our church is so completely non-liturgical so I feel very "on my own"!! Our service is basically an evangelism event. That's ok but . . . I feel like I totally miss the "Celebration" aspect, for my own faith, that Christ is RISEN. My Catholic neighbor was describing their EAster Mass (with some kind of "watching through the night" aspect in it, when all the lights came on??) to me last year and it was so intriguing!!

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

Birdie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 05 2009 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote Birdie

You might enjoy Follow the Year: A Family Celebration of Christian Holidays by Mala Powers illustrated by Frances Elizabeth Livens for a nice resource for liturgical year studies from a Christian perspective.
Back to Top View Birdie's Profile Search for other posts by Birdie Visit Birdie's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 06 2009 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Thanks so much ladies, I'm writing down these titles to keep in my Lent journal so I'll have them handy for next year too!

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version