Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: I am Baptist, but can you help me?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Alice R
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Alice R

Hey Candace! You're Candace from FIAR, right? (now we are recongizing people from forums???)

I'm Lutheran and we celebrate Lent very similiar to the Catholics. Almost identical, really. Which is why I read threads on Lent.    Candance, many Protestant denominations celebrate Lent. Not Baptists. But any church that is Liturgical follows the church calendar and Lent is part of that calendar.

Someone posted that they just love the Liturgical Church. I agree 100%. It keeps the relgious year so organized and full of Jesus. Lent is one of my favorite times of year.

I have to get going but I'll pm you later.Or post later.

And yes, you ladies are all lovely.

Blessings,
Alice

Alice R
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote Alice R

I just wanted to add,

We often have so many differences and they are important, of course, or we wouldn't attend the church we do.   

But it GOOD to see us sharing the wonderful things we do share.   

God Bless.

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Alice, yes it is me from the FIAR boards!

Once again I feel moved to jump in and say THANK YOU. I just can't believe how sweet you ladies are. :) Your posts have been SUCH a blessing to me. I have been jumping from link to link, links from blogs and links on Lent. I am learning so much and becoming excited with what I can do in our home. I wish I would have thought about all this earlier, but I think God layed this on my heart in His timing. Sometimes I can be over-zealous in my planning and miss out on enjoying the season...so His timing is always perfect. :)

Thanks again and I'm so glad this thread has been good for so many of you too!! I was a little nervous to post it, but I don't know why when I have seen nothing but graciousness in the past. :)

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

CandaceC wrote:
Alice, yes it is me from the FIAR boards!

I knew it! I'm over there, too.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Ok, "Books" what is your FIAR screenname? Now I'm so curious because I see you post over here alot and am wondering if I have "known" you all along but didn't know your name!! So funny!!

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

CandaceC wrote:
Ok, "Books" what is your FIAR screenname? Now I'm so curious because I see you post over here alot and am wondering if I have "known" you all along but didn't know your name!! So funny!!

pming you...

~Books

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Ok, back to the Lent subject, LOL!

If any of you have other children's book suggestions for Lent (as opposed to the Easter/joyous part of it) I would love to hear them! I have quite a few books about Easter and the resurrection...but am trying to put together a list of books to read in the days leading up to Easter.

THANK YOU!

His Mercy Is New

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

CandaceC wrote:
Ok, back to the Lent subject, LOL!
If any of you have other children's book suggestions for Lent (as opposed to the Easter/joyous part of it) I would love to hear them! I have quite a few books about Easter and the resurrection...but am trying to put together a list of books to read in the days leading up to Easter.
THANK YOU!

Candace:
I'm going to transfer your above-post to this thread: What Books Do you Pull Out for Lent? that Jenn Sal started a few days ago. Please hop over there and tell us what's in your Lenten Book Basket????    

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Candace, your message is so wonderful and encouraging to me!

The ladies here have given such great advice. It's funny how I feel dread and excitement over Lent coming. The beginning shows such possibilities. I definitely need grace over time to not let my failures pull me down. Don't give up, but persevere.

There are so many possibilities both interior and exterior to do for Lent. Simplicity and pared down is one theme, in decorations, meals, activities.

I try to use the Pope's Message for Lent as a guide on how we should decide our Lenten penances. Besides choosing some areas I need to work on, I also find that God sends a few unexpected crosses my way.

Personal Program for Lent is something I compiled a few years ago. As a child we had a Family Chart and used star stickers to keep track of our progress. Like the straws in the manger for Advent, this was a helpful tool for us.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

JennGM wrote:

I try to use the Pope's Message for Lent as a guide on how we should decide our Lenten penances. Besides choosing some areas I need to work on, I also find that God sends a few unexpected crosses my way.

Personal Program for Lent is something I compiled a few years ago. As a child we had a Family Chart and used star stickers to keep track of our progress. Like the straws in the manger for Advent, this was a helpful tool for us.

Wow Jenn - what amazing resources. I was trying to fine tune my planning and set a realistic plan today - now I am going to HAVE to include some of your resources!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, and for the Stations of the Cross, this is what we use. My son just loves to follow along.

We also add our Stations of the Cross boxes and pictures, and have our flip chart to follow along. I might this year make some plaques with the stations to hang up on a wall so he can visually see throughout Lent the Stations. Generally as a family we pray the rosary every night, except pray the Stations on Friday. Because my son loves the stations, we sometimes do both. This is a case of letting the children lead.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

WE use our Stations of the Cross Box every year, it's wonderful....very meaningful for dc!!!!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2009 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

Candace,

You might find the weblog These Forty Days helpful to you as well. There are loads of reflections, as well as devotions, activities and recipes.

We love Lent at our house. It is a wonderful opportunity for renewal.

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2009 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Candace,

Last year I purchased the Life of Jesus stain-glassed coloring book from Dover. My son loved coloring it in as I read our Lenten books. By the time it was Easter, our front windows looked so colorful with the pictures. I know you can find these books at some bookstores too.

We made homemade pretzels because the monks (I think I have this story correct) folded their arms in prayer like a pretzel during Lent and were the first to make pretzels.

Many Catholic schools have a children's Station of the Cross sometime during Lent. Our parish does stations every Wenesday for the school children and during Holy Week the children act them out.

I am determined this year to make Resurrection Cookies which I can't find a link for but will be happy to PM you if you would like the recipe. These cookies have scriptural references for each ingredient and you seal your oven like the tomb. Very neat idea just never time for us on Holy Saturday evening to make it happen. I am going to do it during Holy Week.

Thanks so much for getting this beautiful thread started and for your kindness. Your love for your children always comes through in your posts and they are blessed to have you!

Marybeth

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

http://www.currclick.com:80/product_info.php?products_id=276 00&it=1&filters=0_0&manufacturers_id=119&SRC=Newsletter

Candace, someone just forwarded me Curriclick's freebie for the week and its on Lent. I am guessing its a protestant interpretation of Lent (I didn't look at it, just grabbed the link) and since its free, it might be worth getting?

~Books

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Thanks, Books! I just downloaded that myself! It does have a great list of activities you can do with your children during Lent...I will be using some of them! :)

His Mercy Is New

pixilated_momma
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote pixilated_momma

Hi, Candace!
What a beautifully touching post you wrote. In our Catholic homeschooling group, we've a few non-Catholics, but they love the liturgy and so much of the treasures of Church, so we share them.

I gave a talk at Faith Formation at church recently about Making the Lenten Journey With Your Children. My notes can be found on my blog:
Making the Lenten Journey with Your Child

Some of the ideas have been mentioned here, but I wrote a bunch of other stuff down, too. I like lists. Hee, hee. They help me organize my thoughts.

Blessings!

Back to Top View pixilated_momma's Profile Search for other posts by pixilated_momma Visit pixilated_momma's Homepage

pixilated_momma
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote pixilated_momma

The link should be without that weird space in "lenten."
Sigh.

Back to Top View pixilated_momma's Profile Search for other posts by pixilated_momma Visit pixilated_momma's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

pixilated_momma wrote:
The link should be without that weird space in "lenten."
Sigh.

Maria, the Link Fairy fixed your link. The space is added automatically unless the url is hotlinked. Something about security, but I don't understand completely. Anyway, looking forward to reading over your notes.

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 02 2009 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Maria, thank you for sharing! Your blog/site is beautiful, I love the colors! And your links were very helpful! :)

His Mercy Is New

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version