Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Favorite School Celebrations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 31 2008 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Would you share with me your favorite non-religious celebrations?

I just found out that the Statue of Liberty's birthday just passed on October 28. If I had known sooner maybe I would have ordered a documentary on the Statue of Liberty from Netflix.

From my fun poetry book this year,Poems for Red Letter Days I learned that Teddy Roosevelt's birthday was October 27th. There is so much to do with Teddy Roosevelt.

I meant to do a search here at 4Real, to find Beatrix Potter's and Tasha Tudor's birthdays. (I think they were during the summer.)

Would you add your suggestions. I have a calendar set aside to help me make some plans.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 31 2008 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh Helen - I'm bummed about the Statue of Liberty, too. I should have been on top of that. I have the new book Lady Liberty and have been meaning to read it to the kids. It looks beautiful.

So as far as being prepared for upcoming historical events and celebrations there are some great events calendars out there. I always say that I'm going to keep better track of this and celebrate them more often. It works a for a short time then I get distracted and forget. A couple years ago we compiled a listing of resources for just such a purpose.

Event Calendar post (includes tons of links - Enchanted Learning, Everything Preschool, History Place, History Channel, Library of Congress, etc.)

Cay's book, A Picture Perfect Childhood, has a great section with a monthly calendar and historic days highlighted with picture books to go along. Very good resource for this topic.

I looked ahead and see that National Adoption day is in November, Helen. (Nov. 15)

Also Daniel Boone's birthday Nov. 2 - there is a new picture book that has been recommended I should try to get at library today.

Tomorrow is the founding of the Mission of San Juan Capistrano - Nov. 1, 1776. Since Leo Politi is the November Author Fiesta pick (100th year birthday!) I'm going to pull out Song of the Swallows first to open the month.

I'm so glad you psoted this and got me focused on this (at least for awhile )

I'll go through and make a list of some of our favorites to remember later and post.

Oh, and yes, Tasha Tudor is August 28. Potter is July 28.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

AndieF
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 31 2008 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote AndieF

I found out about the Statue of Liberty sort of by accident. I do searches for books at the library at the end of the month and I search for books on the name of the month, the animal we are studying, the history we are studying, etc. Anyway, at the end of September, I did a search for books with "October" in the title, and one of the books that came up was "A Picnic In October" by Eve Bunting and it talks about a family that goes out to Battery Park and has a picnic and birthday cake on October 28th for the Statue of Liberty.

I also have a book called "Days to Celebrate" by Lee Bennett Hopkins and it lists the birthdate of lots of famous people, poems for the month, the birthstone, flower, etc. of the month. I look at that a month ahead to see if there are any people/things that we would like to celebrate.

Andie, mom to dd(9) dd (6) ds (4) and home preschool teacher to 5!
Our learning blog: Montgomery Academyhttp://montgomeryacad.blogspot.com
Back to Top View AndieF's Profile Search for other posts by AndieF

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 31 2008 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

MaryM wrote:
Event Calendar post

That's a GREAT thread with wonderful links, Mary!!!!! I can't believe I've been functioning without knowing about those calendars   

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2008 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Enchanted Learning has monthly calendars with daily "special events"

Monthly calendar

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2008 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

MaryM wrote:
I'm so glad you psoted this and got me focused on this (at least for awhile )

Same here Mary

MaryM wrote:
I'll go through and make a list of some of our favorites to remember later and post.

Oh, and yes, Tasha Tudor is August 28. Potter is July 28.
Thank you!

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2008 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We always enjoy pi day(march 14).

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2008 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I like to do something for Dec 7th since we used to live in Hawaii. Usually it is simply talking about the attack on Pearl Harbor and then reading Hiroshima No Pika.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 01 2008 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:
MaryM wrote:
Event Calendar post

That's a GREAT thread with wonderful links, Mary!!!!! I can't believe I've been functioning without knowing about those calendars   

Same here!!! Very helpful!!

Thanks for starting this, Helen! I had no idea about the statue of liberty...or pi day... I feel so uninformed.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version