Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: Scared silly sometimes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 28 2007 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Are any of you ever scared that you won't be providing your child with everything he needs? I'm so worried that I'm not giving my son everything he needs. He is so delayed academically that it worries me. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no doubt that homeschooling is what we need to do. I just feel so inadequate to be his teacher. I feel I need so much help from the experts.

He just recently was tested for problem solving skills and he is in the bottom 1%. That's not a typo--bottom ONE percent. That's why we have such difficulty with narrations. He can't begin to tell me the sequence of events much less any sort of detail when it's so jumbled up in his brain.

Any suggestions? Words of encouragement?

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2007 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

KC, I have one dd that worries me. But then she makes comments such as (driving home from mass). "WOW mom do you realize I am a tabernacle right now?" At this I nearly weep in gratitude. She does have issues, but she is so far ahead of her older siblings in the spiritual world.

Look for the other strengths, you will find your peace.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I worry about these things with all my kids. But I know, it seems more tricky when they are special needs.

My son hasn't been tested recently, but his problem-solving skills are very incomplete, too.   In his case it seems to be partly a motor problem -- getting the thoughts from the brain to the mouth or hands.   Do you think something like this could be the case with your son?

I have noticed so many times that the "experts", though they know their subject, don't know HIM, my son, as well as I do. So many times, if I pay attention to what I've observed about my son, I can help the therapists see his issues more clearly.

Pray to the Holy Spirit for counsel.

Take note of his strengths and interests and build on those. I know that when I focus on my knowledge of my son, I can think of ways to address his difficulties -- things not too different from what the therapists suggest, often.    

But yes -- it is scary, sometimes!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

ozlouise
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote ozlouise

KC in TX wrote:
He just recently was tested for problem solving skills and he is in the bottom 1%. That's not a typo--bottom ONE percent. That's why we have such difficulty with narrations. He can't begin to tell me the sequence of events much less any sort of detail when it's so jumbled up in his brain.

Any suggestions? Words of encouragement?

When he is being tested, is there any follow up with programme goals for him? Use the professionals to help develop some goals and strategies for him. That's their job. They may also be able to help with resources appropriate to his level and goals.

Louise
Back to Top View ozlouise's Profile Search for other posts by ozlouise

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2008 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

We've been experiencing a lot of trouble with narrations too, but I think we are finally finding a solution...

I recently read several books on reading comprehension in an effort to help my oldest with his narration difficulties and have really learned a LOT! I’m hoping to post my notes from these readings but here’s a list of titles:

* 7 Keys to Comprehension
    * Visualizing and Verbalizing
    * Talkies

All have this reading has been making the wheels in my head spin continuously and at a feverish rate. My son's MAJOR problem is in sharing ideas, in describing what he is thinking, seeing, wanting, etc.

Reading 7 Keys to Comprehension was the first time I finally realized why we were having such difficulties in developing my son's ability to narrate anything. While he is a very visual person and a fairly good artist, he has extreme difficulty in transforming the words that he hears or reads into a mental picture. Without this mental picture, he is unable to gain a real comprehension of the words that he hears or reads.

MaryEllen made a helpful comment to me about the Visualizing and Verbalizing program and how it helped her son. My husband and I looked into enrolling our son into a Visualizing and Verbalizing program very seriously but found, much to our dismay, that the cost really was quite prohibitive. So we decided to order the manual and try and do this on our own.

I finished reading Visualizing and Verbalizing a few months ago and simply think that it’s an answer to a prayer. As we started with the preliminary exercises in the program, it became painfully obvious that LB is severely limited in his ability to verbally describe a picture that he is looking at, never mind recalling one from memory. So, I decided to order Talkies, hoping that it would suit our needs better… so far so good!

I'll keep you posted on how we progress with this - right now I'm more optomistic than I've been in a long time.

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version