Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: ST, PT, OT in the schools?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cathmomof8
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote Cathmomof8

Is anyone being provided these services in the school as homeschoolers? I'm trying to get our 7yo into speech in our school system due to $$ issues but our principal finally called and said, he can't do it but also that no one has ever asked before. We live in Ohio. I called the Dept of Education and the person who called me back said he's never had anyone ask that question but doesn't think they can provide it because we've said, no to services. I plan to call the Superintendent but would like more info first. They also told me to call the Special Ed person for the area.
and yet, I'm seeing a 4yo Amish boy in his home for downs syndrome for OT. ???? Is this just until school age you suppose??

grumble grumble. Paying taxes...

Theresia
Back to Top View Cathmomof8's Profile Search for other posts by Cathmomof8

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Theresia!

Services the districts are willing to provide vary from district to district. The way it has been explained to me is federal law includes public and private schooled children specifically, but because we Ohio homeschoolers are neither we land in a legal gray area.

HSLDA has an article here.

I know there's an ST program at the local liberal arts college. I'm sending you a PM with the name of the clinic and a link.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

marysjoys
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote marysjoys

Christina, who has Down syndrome, is age 5, (which makes her school age as of this week!) is receiving PT, OT, and speech in the public school building here in New York State. A speech therapist comes to my home twice a week, and a special ed teacher comes 5 times weekly (this makes 12 weekly hours of free therapy).
We homeschool our older girls, and haven't reported Christina as Kindergarten is not madatory here.
It depends on your state laws. I suppose you could look them up online, or call Home School Legal Defense for advice, they should help you even if you're not a memberwh

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote Angi

Well eons ago (ok only 6 years) I was a spec ed teacher. You can get home therapy if you are willing to enter the system AND do it their way. The school I taught at make it difficult for a HS'ing mom to bring her son in for SLP. The school has the right to schedule therapy at the school any time during the school day.

The first thing you would need to do is contact the director of spec ed (usually at superintendant's office) and ask for a full evaluation for your child.

Let me know if you want need more info.
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I was a speech path in a district in Texas 10 yrs ago. I had a couple of homeschooled kids on my caseload. However, after I left the law changed. Now, (and it may just be in the state of Texas)homeschooled kids are considered private school and don't receive free services from the district. I think it falls under that "you refused services (being public school educated) so you can't recieve speech, etc.". I hope this makes sense. You might want to check with ASHA. ASHA is the American Speech, Language and Hearing Association.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

did they give a reason why not? it sounds very suspicious to me, like there must be more to the story. I have had 2 kids go through our school disctrict for Speech, we just had to go in to the district office, file a request, allow our ds's to be "tested" (not academically, just more skill/speech stuff)
and then we had to agree to the IEP plan that was written up for our child/children.
It is looked at the other way here: easy money for the school district because once I as a parent sign off on the IEP, it means my child is basically "enrolled in the school system" and can be counted for tax money.
It makes their numbers go up.
We were treated with great respect in both schools we dealt with, along with the school district offices.
I went into it with "It's obvious that my ds has a speech impediment, how can we work to make it better?"
they even sent me home with LOADS of great resources/games, etc so I could work with him at home as well.
Praying for you and the situation...

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I have received speech therapy through public schools in Montgomery County Maryland. It was my understanding that this was part of a federally funded program, so any school district that receives funding under that program (which pretty much amounts to all school districts) is required to give access to services to homeschooled and privately schooled children residing in that district. I could be wrong to the extent that they give services to those not enrolled in the public school only if they have enough staff to serve the additional number, beyond the children enrolled in public school.

As to the question of whether you have refused/rejected public school services: my response to that is, "You will know I have refused services from the public schools when I don't pay my school taxes." Not very polite, and if you need to say something to this effect, I certainly would not use that quote. Still, that IS the bottom line. If those services are to be offered, your choice to homeschool does not put you beyond the reach of the services, particularly if the school district would offer services to private school children or to preschoolers. (Well, I guess you can tell that I've been given that same response and that it didn't go down too well with me. )

I hope everything works out well for you in getting what your child needs.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

yes, here in IL, homeschool kids are considered Private school. But the Public School District comes into the Catholic schools here as well to give services there so it is still worth looking into. I am sure again, the public schools get some sort of compensation by "enrolling" these private school kids into their special services.

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Courtney wrote:
I was a speech path in a district in Texas 10 yrs ago. I had a couple of homeschooled kids on my caseload. However, after I left the law changed. Now, (and it may just be in the state of Texas)homeschooled kids are considered private school and don't receive free services from the district. I think it falls under that "you refused services (being public school educated) so you can't recieve speech, etc.".

That is the case here in Texas.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

I am in IL also, and had no problem recieving services at the public school. They were also very respectful of my time and aided in setting up a schedule that worked for alll of us.

Good luck! LeeAnn
Back to Top View sewcrazy's Profile Search for other posts by sewcrazy

marysjoys
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote marysjoys

I mention above that Christina has services in the public school, well I just saw the so-called "well equipped" Physical Therapy room. It has a trampoline and a balance beam.Period. I have both of these at home! The therapist has to bring any additional equipment there herself! That was their excuse to get us into the school, during the IEP, "oh, Christina can't advance any more with the equipment she can use at home, she needs the equipment at school".

So far, the speech and OT sessions at school seem to be working out well, but now, I am wary of them using them as a ruse just to get me used to Christina going to the school. I heard from a homeschooling friend who taught Kindergarten in public schools for 20 years, that a special-ed child in New York State is worth $40,000 a year to the district (federal funding).
From the looks of that PT classroom, NONE of it is spent on equipment!
I was snookered!

Karnak
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 20 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Karnak

Catherine

I would just be very persistent and to be honest a real nuisance. Under the IDEA Act in your country I understood each school district has to provide therapeutic services to kids with disability. So what if you are homeschooling. Get an disability advocate and an IEP just to cover the services your child needs. The squeaky wheel syndrome works well for me in getting what i want/need for my autistic son. You could mention suing th school district for withholding services and going to your local Senator, th Governor or whatever. They will give you things to prevent adverse publicity

Karnak
Back to Top View Karnak's Profile Search for other posts by Karnak

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version