Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Favorite spring books? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 06 2010 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Such great suggestions! Thank you!

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2010 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

John Himmelman's Nature Upclose books

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2010 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Josias, Hold the Book

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2010 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Sarah wrote:
I recently read this so its fresh in my mind. When I read it I thought about reminding the children about all the things we have in this country that we take for granted. This is a great book for spring because of the bulbs. The Dutch in this book are so happy to receive simple gifts and SHARE!

Boxes for Katje

There are SO MANY great books, though, huh?

edit post:

Suggested grade K-3, although my older ones love it. WWII, American Children part of a relief organization send items to a Dutch girl who in turn shares everything with her family and friends. The story builds as the American children send more and more and in turn the Dutch give them a surprise gift of lovely bulbs.

mom to five

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2010 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Peter Rabbit, etc. by Beatrix Potter are always lovely to read in the spring.

The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton

Frog and Toad are Friends and Frog and Toad All Year -- we love Frog and Toad -- they're funny, and yeah, the books are a bit twaddly, but we love them just the same.

The Empty Pot by Demi

A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson, illustrated by Tasha Tudor

The Gardener by Sarah Stewart - great family read

All the Places to Love by Patricia Maclachlan -- absolutely beautiful, and so heartwarming!

Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm by Alice and Martin Provensen

And I found this book Father Like A Tree recently on Amazon but our library doesn't have it -- has anyone seen it? It sounds wonderful!

mom to five

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2010 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

CKwasniewski wrote:
Here are some springy titles we've enjoyed:

Picture books:
A Fruit is a suitcase for Seeds, Richard
Birds build nests, Winer
Butterflies Fly, Winer

If you can get a hold of it, the Usborne Complete First book of Nature has great info on birds, butterflies and plants with nice pictures, at a level that is very good for young kids.

hth,
ck

mom to five

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:
The Gardener by Sarah Stewart - great family read

I picked this up from my library discards. What a GREAT book! This would fit for reading for depression, a spring book, gardening book, and just a wonderful family read-aloud.

It really touched all of us.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 12 2012 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Just bumping this as I'm requesting some books to go along with our family's new gardening venture!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 12 2012 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I just checked out a few, so I'll be back here to give some reports, but had to mention:

And Then It's Spring by Julie Fogliano, illustrated by Erin Stead.

Delightful illustrations, has a boy who plants some seeds when it's all brown, and waits and works, and waits until...

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2012 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

superb: How Groundhog's Garden Grew

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 12 2012 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

My list is from a post in one of the links above - in a different spring/Easter book thread.

Quote:
Spring: An Alphabet Acrostic

Spring Song

Are You Spring?

Spring Thaw

Raven and River

And I think maple sugaring books are fun for Spring!
Sugarbush Spring
Sugar Snow
Sugar on Snow
At Grandpa's Sugar Bush
The Sugaring-Off Party
Sugaring

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2012 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

JennGM wrote:
I just checked out a few, so I'll be back here to give some reports, but had to mention:

And Then It's Spring by Julie Fogliano, illustrated by Erin Stead.

Delightful illustrations, has a boy who plants some seeds when it's all brown, and waits and works, and waits until...

Just got this in the mail

I also got And the Good Brown Earth by Kathy Henderson. Also very sweet illustrations and takes you through growing/gardening seasons.

And although not a little one's picture book: My Backyard Garden by Carol Lerner gets put out every year around this time. The boys have really been enjoying it this year. They might not read all that it says but they love the illustrations and have been asking gardening questions

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 12 2012 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Lily's Victory Garden was another one we liked last year.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 12 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

After Ellie recommended it here, I requested this one for our library, waited forever for it to arrive, then I got laryngitis, but finally tonight we read it.

I think Brother William's Year: A Monk at Westminster Abbey is my new favorite picture book! This definitely fits into the gardening/spring theme, but it covers all the months.

It follows the Benedictine monks of Westminister Abbey in England around the year 1380 (so before the Protestant Revolt). The book is absolutely delightful. Even the final note about the dissolution of the abbey was spot on. The main character is Brother William, who is the gardener, so the book follows the seasons, and highlights some of the liturgical feasts.

What appeals to me the most are the illustrations and illuminations. The book is done is gouache and an egg wash, so very authentic, and it looks very much like an illuminated manuscript. The Illuminated letters for each month are gorgeous and inviting.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 12 2012 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We also reread:

Mud by Mary Lyn Ray

Jack's Garden by Henry Cole

Linnea books by Christina Bjork.

I have been trying to remember another book's title, and I can't find it. It's about a girl who plants beans, and makes a bean pole house. It's the whole story from seed to harvest to beginning the next year. Ring a bell? I have not been able to remember the title for a few years and it's frustrating me!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 12 2012 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
After Ellie recommended it here, I requested this one for our library, waited forever for it to arrive, then I got laryngitis, but finally tonight we read it.

I think Brother William's Year: A Monk at Westminster Abbey is my new favorite picture book! This definitely fits into the gardening/spring theme, but it covers all the months.

It follows the Benedictine monks of Westminister Abbey in England around the year 1380 (so before the Protestant Revolt). The book is absolutely delightful. Even the final note about the dissolution of the abbey was spot on. The main character is Brother William, who is the gardener, so the book follows the seasons, and highlights some of the liturgical feasts.

What appeals to me the most are the illustrations and illuminations. The book is done is gouache and an egg wash, so very authentic, and it looks very much like an illuminated manuscript. The Illuminated letters for each month are gorgeous and inviting.

Forgot to mention that there are two recipes in here, too! Lenten Leek Soup and Cherry Pottage!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2012 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
I have been trying to remember another book's title, and I can't find it. It's about a girl who plants beans, and makes a bean pole house. It's the whole story from seed to harvest to beginning the next year. Ring a bell? I have not been able to remember the title for a few years and it's frustrating me!

To answer my own question, I think the book is Jody's Beans by Malachy Doyle.

Not sure why I couldn't remember that one! I just got an armload that I requested from the library and will be back to share more if they are home runs!

But, I must mention Lois Lenski's Spring is Here, which is OOP, but your library (like mine) might have it. This is a series of 4 for the seasons, little book, but delightful.

And Tasha Tudor always evokes beautiful nature for me. Her Springs of Joy is a collection of poetry, and A Tale for Easter is more of a spring type book, not really Easter in celebration of Christ's resurrection, but Easter as symbolizing spring and new life.

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2012 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote Christine

In addition to many of the books that have already been mentioned, other spring books that my three-year-olds have enjoyed include:

Home for a Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown
I have read this Little Golden Book to my children over and over again. All of my younger children enjoy listening as the bunny meets various animals in his search for "a home for a bunny, a home of his own, under a rock, under a stone, under a log, or under the ground. Where would a bunny find a home?"

Mortimer's First Garden by Karma Wilson
Wanting to see something green at the end of winter, Mortimer plants his last sunflower seed.   He waits and waits for it to grow. Eventually, Mortimer's doubt is transformed into hope. With a little patience and help from God, he sees his sunflower seed produce amazing results. My children appreciate Dan Andreasen's oil pastel illustrations.
Although I have checked this book out from the library multiple times, it is not one that I would want to necessarily include in our personal home library.

Rabbits and Raindrops by Jim Arnosky
The watercolor illustrations in this book are what originally grabbed our attention several years ago. The detail that Jim Arnosky put into depicting raindrops is truly amazing. The illustrations are complemented by Arnosky's story of five young rabbits who enjoy leaving their nest under the hedge for the very first time.

Hana in the Time of Tulips by Deborah Noyes
Deborah Noyes writes in the "time of Rembrandt" about a young girl, Hana, and her father's tulip prospecting. Hana wants to be a doctor and tends to her father's ailments, but as her father worries about his "tulip business", he seems to grow farther and farther away from her. Hana tries to cheer him up with a sprig of rosemary, fireflies, and by weaving nature's simple smile out of daisies. Eventually, Hana (Rembrandt's student) paints a beautiful tulip for her father and succeeds in drawing him out. This book would also make a nice complement to a study of Rembrandt for older children.

Pussy Willow by Margaret Wise Brown
A "soft and gray and furry" pussycat searches for a year for the pussy willows after which he named himself. He finally finds them when spring arrives again.
We have an older version of this golden book with illustrations by Leonard Weisgard which show a much fluffier cat. I have to say that I prefer Weisgard's illustrations.

Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert
A mother and child plant their annual red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple flowers to make a rainbow in their garden. After hearing this story, more than one of my children have wanted to plant flowers that show all the colors of the rainbow.

The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle
The wind carries seeds, including the tiny one, through the air. Some of the seeds meet with disaster along the way, but the tiny seed eventually lands and grows into a giant flower that eventually spreads its seeds in the air.

Wiggling Worms at Work (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science 2) by Wendy Pfeffer
Wiggling Worms at Work has enhanced my children's earthworm fascination. It is full of interesting information about these wiggling creatures. Suggestions for an experiment and a project can be found at the back of the book.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2012 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

We've been prepping our garden area lately and the little boys have had fun helping me dig up trenches. We've also been moving compost around and what do you find in compost and good soil: worms.

They enjoyed reading Yucky Worms by Vivian French. The illustrations are sweet and show lots of garden angles. It was just enough information about worms for them that while we've been working they've been able to remind me that our plants will need our new friends!

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 15 2012 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Wow, so many new additions to this thread! Thank you, ladies!!

mom to five

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version