Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Australia, South America or Asia Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Any great family read-alouds from the "other side of the world"? We've got lots of read-alouds from Europe and America, but I'm interested in fun read-alouds about the southern hemisphere or the Far East.

Any suggestions?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Missee Lee by Arthur Ransome, part of the Swallow and Amazons series, is a fantasy about the China Seas. You will love it!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

We liked "The Family History of Mary Claire" by Eleanor Spence ( Aussie history).

And "Bush Boys and Bushrangers" by Fr James Tierney
( Aussie history and geography and a homeschooling family, to boot!).

BTW, Alice, I love "Missee Lee".

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Alice and Leonie -- thanks for the suggestions -- NONE of the 3 y'all mentioned are in our library and Leonie the two Aussie ones you mentioned, Leonie, aren't even available from Amazon!

I'll keep looking -- any other suggestions?

Leonie -- my name is "Mary Clare" so that title sounded like a great one!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I can send you a copy of the Mary Claire book - now I see the connection with your name, its a must! The author, Eleanor Spence, is a Catholic convert, btw...

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Mary if you have any horse lovers here is The Silver Brumby it is the first in a series - if you were interested in getting a copy of the first book, I have two I pass onto you for free as I have double copies of two.

What I like is the detailed description of the Australian bush, it's native animals and understanding of the Australian stockman's life.

I read these as I young girl and loved them greatly, I have just started reading this book to my 12 and 10 year olds.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Look What Came From Australia

Rainbow Bird - An Aboriginal Folktale

Are We There Yet?

Not a Nibble
The Muddle Headed Wombat
Snugglepot and Cuddlepie

The Magic Pudding
Walkabout

Here a few Aussie books we have liked - and you can buy from Amazon!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Leonie and Annie,

Thanks so much for the suggestions -- I'm on a hunt for "Snugglepot" and "The Magic Pudding" -- those both sound perfect! The "Silver Brumby" isn't at our library nor can I get it online .... Annie if you'll pm me with the cost of shipping/book, I'd love to get a copy. And Leonie, if you could pm me with the cost/shipping of the Mary Claire book, I'd like that one too (my mother will love the title as she's about the only one I allow to call me Mary Clare! )

THANKS!

Now what about the Far East -- any good read-alouds? Or South America?

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2007 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Will do, Mary and get back to you soon.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2007 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Mary, he is a link to Tina's recent Australian thread, on here I have some links to famous Australian short stories.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2007 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

South America....how about Under Angel Wings? It is a Catholic book that I have read to my children and they have loved, it is set in Brazil and it gave us a feel for this culture and time in history, though of course the main focus is this girl's relationship with her guardian angel.

What about Mary Fabyan Windeatt's saints books?   She has a few on South American saints (they got a good look in from her! ) I find that she touches on the culture and historical facts of this continent in her books.

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 11 2007 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

BUSH BOYS

My older sons just finished reading two of these and they loved them!!! (Thanks to Anna at Fountain Resources for sending them to me.)

They said they were the best of the "camping" genre they have ever read. They said they were better than Swallows and Amazons because they weren't pretending, they were really doing everything.
Margot
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2007 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mary

I have recently updated my web site Aussie Book Threads to include many inprint titles. Actually it was thanks to you that I gave it an overhaul as when you asked back in February I realised the need to include ones inprint so that those of you o/s would have a chance of sourcing them.

I have included picture and chapter books, if you let me know what area you are after in particular I'll add more titles. That is if you are still after Aussie books.

Btw what country/ies in particular are you looking for books of in the Far East?

To be a distenting voice to my fellow countrymen I didn't enjoy The Magic Pudding. Feel free to throw tomatoes

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2007 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Mary,
I just read A Single Shard this weekend (in one afternoon), its about an orphaned boy in Korea. It was pretty good, and was interesting in its discussion of pottery. A nice oriental feel.

It was a newberry winner. Maybe you have already read it?

CK
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 11 2007 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

CKwasniewski wrote:
A Single Shard this weekend (in one afternoon), its about an orphaned boy in Korea.

Oh My - I love that book! Another good one by the same author is Kite Fighter. It's about the relationships between two brothers and their father (OK, well it's about the sport of kite fighting, but it's REALLY about the relationships.) set in medieval times as well I think. After we read it aloud, my two oldest sons had a great discussion about the similarities between them and the boys in the story. Very moving! I also like the books set in Japan by Katherine Paterson, especially The Master Puppeteer.
Margot
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2007 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Another one is Ernie dances to the didgeridoo : for the children of Gunbalanya by Alison Lester. It's really cute. She is the author of Are We There Yet? that Leonie mentioned.

KackyK
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

terayon_124
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 17 2007 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote terayon_124

Hi,
For the younger crowd there is Blinky Bill by Dorothy Wall AND available [illustrated no less!] online:
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks04/0400571h.html  &n bsp;

My youngest few are enjoying this at the moment.

Rita
Back to Top View terayon_124's Profile Search for other posts by terayon_124

c_rob
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 12:52am | IP Logged Quote c_rob

If you like poetry, there are some famous Australian ballads by AB (Banjo) Patterson that all of my children learned to recite "by heart".
Some of our favourites are:
"The Man From Snowy River";
"Clancy of the Overflow"; and
"Mulga Bill"
You might also like to look at the unofficial Australian National Anthem, "Waltzing Matilda".
Be warned, though, the poems use a lot of 19th century Australian idioms that might take a little prep. They give a wonderful intro into Australian geography and rural Aus.
Poems come in Anthologies, some are available free on the net and they also come in beautifully illustrated individual books.
Best of luck,
Christine

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

if china is considered far east (showing my lack of geography again )

my dd loved Little Pear- I think it is on the sonlight book list.

check the sonlight lists for read alouds arounf the world

Maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

ozlouise
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote ozlouise

Erin wrote:
To be a distenting voice to my fellow countrymen I didn't enjoy The Magic Pudding. Feel free to throw tomatoes

Heehee. I had to laugh at this. I didn't like it at all.

I do love Blinky Bill.

Louise
Back to Top View ozlouise's Profile Search for other posts by ozlouise

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version