Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: My brother from Australia Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

My brother and his new wife honeymooned in Australia. He wrote a huge letter describing some of his trip (Great Barrier Reef, Port Douglas, snorkeling, diving, etc). Guess what we're about to study? Real life. Relationships. How's that for someone choosing a topic FOR us!

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

You gotta love it when it all comes together easily. It's also an arguement for not planning too far in advance (which I just can't help but do...).

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Very, very cool, Tina!

I bet there's some women here who could give you some great recipes and ideas!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Are you doing a study on Australia? If so, what particularly grabs your interest, topic-wise?

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

I think we're going to do an informal study of Australia, based on his letters, since we just emerged (study-wise, that is ) out of New Zealand before Christmas. We're starting with animals. We'd love it if you have any living Australian adventure books to share.

Love your signature line, btw.

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Sounds like so much fun, Tina! Let we Aussies know if we can help...

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Tina, I thought I would start with the following - the good thing about these links is they cost you nothing and they are 'accessable' via the internet.

They are poems - poems that are stories - stories about Australia and their people - about their adventures and indomitable spirit.

One of our most famous poets is Banjo Paterson

Here is a direct link to his famous poem, The Man from Snowy River - this region of Australia in the State of Victoria is not too far from where I was born and is set in the "High Country." It is a poem of adventure and the sheer audacity and grit of a man greatly underestimated.

Another of Banjo's poems that all Australian's love is Waltzing Matilda and is our nation’s unofficial national anthem for sure!

Then there is Banjo's Clancy of the Overflow.

In the 80's a beautiful movie was made about The Man from Snowy River - I HIGHLY recommend it - it has Kirk Douglas in it as well - beautiful scenery of the High Country - here is a link to it at Amazon's - maybe you can get it at a rental store? One of the characters in the movie is Clancy of the Overflow - so an overlapping of characters from two famous poems.

What about our Melbourne Cup? (this horse race stops our whole nation every year like no other race does to any other country) Phar Lap was a horse that won the 1930 Cup and it is a excellent story about, the underdog, winning against the odds, courage and stamina and larrikinism. The movie stars the same main actor from The Man from Snowy river, it is called Phar Lap.

For a peak into Catholicism in our Australian past, check this link out, Around the Boree Log - this will allow you to read some of the poems from this book, click on 'The Hanrahans' - I loved this funny one when I was a girl! "Rooned - a word used alot in the poem, means 'ruined.' - It's the strong Aussie lingo!

Here is a link to a written lecture about Fr John O'Brien - it is easy to read and interesting.

Now THIS poem of Fr O'Brien's got me crying - I'd forgotten about it and I have started a thread about it just a little while ago in Fireside Chat, but here is the link for it: The Trimmings of the Rosary

If you were after a copy of "Around the Boree Log" here is a link to Amazon - they have one second hand copy for about $7.

Well that's a start Tina - I hope I haven't gone off on too much of a tangent with this, I will continue to think of other suitable material in the meantime.

God Bless, Anne

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2007 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Found this Tina: Short Stories by Henry Lawson

These are great short stories to read - Henry Lawson was a very famous writer - writing alot about the hardship of bush life in the outback - one's can particularly remember reading myself was, "The Loaded Dog" and "The Drover's Wife." two that I would recommend reading from the list.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2007 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Just keep posting while I'm thinking.......my oldest, Jack (12) has always loved reading The Muddle Headed Wombat - it really is one I keep finding under his bed, in the car, on the lounge he just keeps re-reading it. Lots of Australian wildlife in it that talk!

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2007 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

aussieannie wrote:
One of our most famous poets is Banjo Paterson

Here is a direct link to his famous poem, The Man from Snowy River -

Why didn't I think of that? We OWN that movie. The older kids would surely be able to understand some of it (especially after we read the poem and I translate the language for them and explain the history and what's happening a little). Wow, Anne, you sure gave me a bunch of rabbit trails to search. Thank you!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2007 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

That's a great start Tina - nothing like a bit of inspiration with something visual. We are holidaying in my home district soon and I hope to visit the Snowy Mountain area and take the children on a trail ride through the area they filmed - here is a link that came through on our Australian internet news yesterday Man from Snowy River treks popular with overseas tourists - we couldn't afford or handle the logistics of a couple of days trek, but an hour or two with the older children would be lots of fun - if it does happen Tina - I will add photos to this thread!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 2:13am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Tina, today is Australia Day! Here is a link to Dawnie's thread I have posted about this day there.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version