Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: How will you "decorate" for Lent? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I hope everyone takes pictures (I'm visual) so we can see all these great ideas coming to fruition!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

KellyinPA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote KellyinPA

MicheleQ wrote:
No it was Dollar Tree. Our local store just relocated across the parking lot to a bigger space and like I said I need batteries. $17 later I had batteries and a votive candle holder and a few other things.    

Thanks Michelle! Maybe I can get there over the weekend. If dh can get the van out of the ice block it seems to be stuck, that is

the abundant life
Back to Top View KellyinPA's Profile Search for other posts by KellyinPA

soodow
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 16 2007 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote soodow

Another sale for Dollar Tree!! Got mine today, thanks for the photo, Michelle!
Sue
Mom of 6
Back to Top View soodow's Profile Search for other posts by soodow

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2007 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I just bought these willow branches today, there were two colours to choose from, natural and red - perfect! I bought 5 natural and 1 red - one for each week of lent and the red one for the Passion Week.

Here is a picture:

This way, is probably more child friendly for my 2 year old.

So what could I do with them? Maybe the sacrifices could be added on to a branch of the week in the form of leaves, beads, something.....and then flowers to replace them during Easter? Any ideas?

Or maybe leaving it as is for an austere look?

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2007 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

This is expensive but it would be such a lovely picture to hang in the Lenten season!

Very meditative.

Holy Face Tapestry

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

From the book Arts and Crafts for Lent by Jeanne Heiberg, I got the idea of filling bottles of sand. She suggested using a glass bowl, bt I bought some plastic bottles with corks and the craft store and we filled them with the colored sand.
Biege was for the desert
Yellow for Christ
Blue for Baptism
Greens for new life
Purple for Christ the King
Red for the passion.

You can see a picture of one of the bottles below.

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2007 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

It's not gorgeous, but I finished our Lenten tile that I'll use as a trivet. You can see it and an explanation here.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

It is excellent Jenn - gorgeous is a word for Easter and this is Lenten, it captures that spirit perfectly.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2007 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I have been thinking (as my children have been plaiting a crown of thorns from some artifical rose stems - that has got me wondering..) of the idea of having the children make bit by bit -all the different images/elements of the passion during Holy Week. Placing them on our altar (you can see the photos up higher and using the statue of Our Lord in these decorations.) The children could make them all slowly through Lent and then start displaying them in Holy Week.

Palm sunday - a palm that they can place in Our Lord's arm. A halter and lead. (donkey's)

The cup and bread at the last supper, the bowl with a cloth for the washing of the feet.

The cup of the angel in the garden. A cloth with red blobs of paint to signify Our Lord's sweating.

The bag of 30 silver pieces. A cloth rent, that the High Priest tore during his condemnation of Jesus. Chains and key for when Our Lord was imprisoned overnight.

The scourge, the reed, the crown of thorns, the 'kingly' robe.

The nails, the IRNI sign, Veronica's veil, the sponge and vinegar, skull and crossbones (Adam's)

Just some ideas I have, is there anything else I may have overlooked? Some of these images could be place on the statue (kingly robe - reed in His hand - the crown of thorns etc.)

Our altar is very big and so we'll would have room for all of this!

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

aussieannie wrote:
This is expensive but it would be such a lovely picture to hang in the Lenten season!

Very meditative.

Holy Face Tapestry

Anne, this is gorgeous! I happen to have a devotion to the Holy Face, and today, Shrove Tuesday is the feast of the Holy Face of Jesus (unfortunately I missed the novena leading up to it )

BTW Anne, your new Avatar is simply breathtaking! You are an image of the Madonna!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

This Stations of the Cross craft is very easy to make. I bought the glass candle holders, candles included, and hot glued them to the wood. It only cost me $10.00. We will light all 14 candles, and as we anounce each Station, we will blow out the candle, and as the 14th Station is read and the last candle is blown out, the room will be dark.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote esperanza

Ruth, I like the simplicity and effect. Yours looks better than the make shift one I did years ago. Nice.

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Lovely, Ruth! I always think I have to do a candleabra of some sort but your idea is GREAT!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Ruth, you read miy mind!! WE ill also be doing our stations with the candle lighting and blowing out, it's so powerful and mysterious fot the children!! Thanks for sharing, and everyone's ideas are amazing!! I love the building of the altar gradually to put together for Holy Week Annie, just awesome!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

What if you applied the stations of the cross pictures to the votives???

I'd love to try this, just had the idea, and haven't tried it out but in the interest of sharing the idea before the board closes up tomorrow couldn't you print off some pictures of the stations and size them to fit the candles? I'd probably do B&W as I don't have a color printer and I like the idea of the starkness anyhow. Then I'd grab my big roll of clear packing tape and wrap the picture to the votive, I don't have any liquid glue handy and I do try to use what I have available.

ETA: B&W Images of the Stations of the Cross

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

marihalojen wrote:
What if you applied the stations of the cross pictures to the votives???

I'd love to try this, just had the idea, and haven't tried it out but in the interest of sharing the idea before the board closes up tomorrow couldn't you print off some pictures of the stations and size them to fit the candles? I'd probably do B&W as I don't have a color printer and I like the idea of the starkness anyhow. Then I'd grab my big roll of clear packing tape and wrap the picture to the votive, I don't have any liquid glue handy and I do try to use what I have available.

ETA: B&W Images of the Stations of the Cross

I like that idea...but I'm worried a little of the tape handling the heat?

KellyinPA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote KellyinPA

I struck out at Dollar Tree, no lovely candle like Michelle's at all. Now I'm searching for a purple pillar candle to put in the center of our grapevine wreath, I've looked two places so far, no luck.

I did pick up a bag of those polished stones for the boys to use when performing a sacrifice for another to be switched in for pastel m&m's Easter morning.

And we had fasnaughts today, so we're on the right track!

the abundant life
Back to Top View KellyinPA's Profile Search for other posts by KellyinPA

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote doris

I'm jumping in late here, but can anyone help me with quantities for the salt dough crown of thorns? I've never made salt dough before and fear that we would either end up with a miniature, or a giant, one... Could you also tell me what temp to bake and for how long, pls?

TIA...

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

doris wrote:
I'm jumping in late here, but can anyone help me with quantities for the salt dough crown of thorns? I've never made salt dough before and fear that we would either end up with a miniature, or a giant, one... Could you also tell me what temp to bake and for how long, pls?

I have this old Morton Salt Booklet that had detailed directions for the salt dough that I typed up here.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Ooops, sorry, it didn't have actual ratios

2 cups wheat flour
1 cup salt
3/4 cup water

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version