Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: What are you reading for Lent? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

I have two books this year

Friends of the Cross by St Louis DeMontfort

Reflections on the Passion by Fr Charles Hugo Boyle

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have too many I want to read! I never read just one book at a time. Some of these will go into Lent, since it's so soon:

I'm really focusing on The Hidden Power of Kindness by Lawrence G. Lovasik. I find this could be used as a marriage manual. Treat your spouse this way and marriages would have no problems! Anyway, I really need to read it.

I just picked up But I Have Called You Friends: Reflections on the Art of Christian Friendship
by Mother Mary Francis who died last February 11 (feast of Our Lady of Lourdes). I think these two titles tie in. And since this forums focuses so much on friendship, I wanted to sort out what is a good friendship. I love all her writings.

And this is a new title by Sister Wendy, Sister Wendy's Meditations on the Mysteries of Our Faith. It's a small book, covering from the First Sunday of Lent to Pentecost, using works from Duccio di Buoninsegna. It's quite beautiful, short and something to keep in the purse.

I also want to include something on the Life of Christ or meditations on the Passion and something focusing on Mary and her role. For now I'm reading an OOP title The Carrying of the Cross: Thoughts for Women on the Passion of Christ by another favorite author, Sister Mary Jean Dorcy. Another shorter book.

I also am thinking of rereading this title: Season of Mercy: Lent and Easter by Catherine Doherty.

Do many of you pick up something different when we enter into Holy Week? That's what I usually do...

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

I'm going to be reading Frederica Matthewes-Green's First Fruits of Prayer which is based on the Great Canon of St. Andrew of Crete (he reposed in the 8th century). The Great Canon is a beautiful hymn that has been prayed in the Eastern churches for centuries during Great Lent.

I'm also reading Fr. Alexander Schmemann's Great Lent: Journey to Pascha. It begins with the pre-lenten season and continues through Holy Week. I read that one every year and get something new from it each time.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, I forgot to mention I picked up at B&N on their sale table Benedict XVI: Way of the Cross by Pope Benedict XVI. This is a beautiful version of the Stations, written by Ratzinger in Lent 2004.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

JennGM wrote:

I also am thinking of rereading this title: Season of Mercy: Lent and Easter by Catherine Doherty.

Jenn,
I ordered this title from Madonna House last week. It is going to be my only Lenten reading. I'm glad you think it's worth re-reading!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Geez, Jenn -- and I was proud to have 1 book (and a leaflet) on my list !

But, I'm going to read The Faith Explained by Fr. Leo Trese -- even though I'm a cradle Catholic, parochial schools all the way thru undergrad, I was taught catechism by less than fully-formed folks.....I'd like to spend this Lent filling those holes!

I'm also going to be using Magnificat's Lenten Companion which my dh got for me (actually he got me, my mom and himself each a copy so we won't fight over it -- it doesn't set a good example for the kids! )

Here's to a blessed Lent for you all.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G wrote:
Geez, Jenn -- and I was proud to have 1 book (and a leaflet) on my list

I think that it's better your way! My eyes are bigger than my reading time!

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

I'm planning to read The Hidden Power of Kindness and The Privilege of Being a Woman. So I am hoping to work on both kindness and being grateful .
In Christ,
Deborah
Back to Top View mom3aut1not's Profile Search for other posts by mom3aut1not

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

I just finished A Pilgrim's Regress for the second time, and I think I'll add the companion book, Finding the Landlord for Lent. I could really use a guide to finding the Landlord, myself, .   Gotta love Lewis!!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

mom3aut1not wrote:
I'm planning to read The Hidden Power of Kindness and The Privilege of Being a Woman. So I am hoping to work on both kindness and being grateful .
In Christ,
Deborah
Oh Deborah -- you'll love Hidden Power and the Privilege of Being a Woman is a fantastic read. Last year a couple of friends and I read and discussed VonHildebrand's work ... what a treasure and a MUST HAVE on any Catholic woman (or teen's) book shelf!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MacBeth wrote:
I just finished A Pilgrim's Regress for the second time, and I think I'll add the companion book, Finding the Landlord for Lent. I could really use a guide to finding the Landlord, myself, .   Gotta love Lewis!!

Oh, did not know there was a companion. Thanks for the tip! I found an old copy of "Pilgrim's Regress" a while back and thought it was so great -- much better than Bunyan, right?!

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

My plans are to read:

Seeking God (The Way of St. Benedict) by Esther Waal;

and Food & Faith:Justice, Joy and Daily Bread, a series of 40 essays edited by Michael Schut.

The one for contemplation, interior life, the other, I hope, to do some consciousness raising about social justice matters, particularly as our industralized nation is often fed at the expense of unjust practices involving the land God gave us and our brothers and sisters who live in other economic circumstances.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

kjohnson wrote:
I'm going to be reading Frederica Matthewes-Green's First Fruits of Prayer which is based on the Great Canon of St. Andrew of Crete (he reposed in the 8th century). The Great Canon is a beautiful hymn that has been prayed in the Eastern churches for centuries during Great Lent.

Me too. I'm looking forward to it.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I'd like to add that I'm going to read True Devotion to Mary so I can keep up with the thread under the Hidden Treasure forum!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version