Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Something for our table for lent Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

Hi Ladies,

I have been trying to come up with an idea for our dinner table during lent. During Advent we had our lovely wreath. Now for lent I would like to do something and this is what I have come up with so far:

Some sort of wreath that looks like a crown of thorns and then placing toothpicks in it one for each night of lent. Then each evening one of us will pull out a toothpick and then replace it with a small flower (on a pick that I will make before hand) and tell us a deed or sacrifice that they made that day that would replace the wound of the thorn and transform it into something beautiful. So that by the end of lent we will have a crown of beauty for our Lord. Does this make sense? I also thought about putting a candle in the middle of this to light at dinner time also reminding us that Christ is our Light during this time of darkness. I will also have a prayer that my dh will say each evening as we light the candle.

So anyone else have some ideas?!

Thanks and God bless,

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Jackie -- this is a great idea! We did the crown of toothpicks but I like the addition of the flowers -- will make a glorious centerpiece by Easter morning. In addition (or in lieu of) a candle, you could put an alms box in the center, particularly on the nights when you have foods that the kiddos maynot be thrilled with but the money "saved" goes in the box.....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

This sounds lovely. I have done something simular to this in the past.

We took the base of our Christmas tree, sawed off two lengths, and created a Lenten Log. It has candle holes (5 purple and one pink) for each of the weeks of Lent. There are some prayers that go along with it that a friend gave to me several years ago. Just llike Advent, we light the candle as we reach the beginning of the new week.

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Jackie,

Your idea is lovely!

Some other ideas -- posting links from my blog:

A real crown of thorns

A salt dough crown that is sort of like an Advent wreath. I don't have pictures (didn't have a digital camera last year) but it turned out beautifully, thanks to my friend Johnna's ideas.

One other post on Lenten ideas

Yikes -- I can't believe Lent is almost here!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Carole N. wrote:
This sounds lovely. I have done something simular to this in the past.

We took the base of our Christmas tree, sawed off two lengths, and created a Lenten Log. It has candle holes (5 purple and one pink) for each of the weeks of Lent. There are some prayers that go along with it that a friend gave to me several years ago. Just llike Advent, we light the candle as we reach the beginning of the new week.

Carole!

This is a great idea to use the Christmas tree -- I'll have to file that one away for next year....it also ties Advent to Lent with the candles and helps the kids visualize the LIght of the World coming closer and closer...thanks for sharing this...

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

These are all great ideas!

Mind if I borrow your idea too Jackie?

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Jackie, that's a lovely idea!

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Jackie, Mary, Carole, and Karen -- you all have such great ideas! I'm going to take Theresa's lead and borrow them, too!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

This thread started by Nissa has some similar ideas. Nissa's Cross is a larger version, but we're doing a tabletop idea, with the candles. Dh has the logs sitting in the garage, waiting for the drill bit for the candle holes. I'm so excited about doing this, as I've wanted to for ages.

Using the Christmas tree ties in the symbolism of the tree as a foreshadowing of the cross of Christ. And "wood of the cradle, wood of the cross" type of idea.

One project I've been doing is making tiles for each season of the Liturgical Year. I just made a tile for Lent, but I haven't taken a picture of it yet. Tile decorating is a bit tricky because you have to do light colors to dark colors, several layers of paint for vibrant colors.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I had planned to do the crown of thorns for our table this year. Dh is very excited about it. He likes me to have visuals for ds.

Is anyone else feeling like we just finished up Advent activities????

Where does the time go?

Mb

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

Are there instructions/pictures of this "toothpick crown of thorns?" I would love to do this, but can't seem to get my mind around the way to do it.

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Mary G wrote:

Carole!
This is a great idea to use the Christmas tree --

It is a beautiful idea -- I love tying the tree to Lent, the cradle to the Cross, as Jenn mentioned.

Here's a good link that shows a salt dough crown of thorns and gives a recipe for the salt dough as well.

Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote mavmama

Thank you Karen!! I really like this and we will be doing it this Lent for sure. That is so beautiful!

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

We use a crown woven from thin tree branches as our centerpiece. I poke it full of toothpicks at the beginning of lent. Then the kids pull the toothpicks out when they say prayers or make small sacrifices. It is similar to the idea of adding hay to Jesus' crib during advent.

Liz, our crown is just a long thin branch that I broke off a tree and pulled into a circle. I coiled the branch so that it went all the way around the circle twice (so the circle is made from two layers of branch). Then I tied the ends together using a bread bag twisty (so that the crown wouldn't uncoil). By the end of lent, the branch had dried out and I was able to remove the twisty without uncoiling the crown. I left all the tiny side branches on my main branch, so when it was all coiled, I had plenty of spots in which I could wedge toothpicks. I don't know if I'm being clear at all... Maybe if you think of it as a two stranded braid (instead of three strands) that is then pulled into a loop and twistied together...

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

cathhomeschool wrote:
We use a crown woven from thin tree branches as our centerpiece.
Liz, our crown is just a long thin branch that I broke off a tree and pulled into a circle.

Janette,
What a great idea! I'll bet it's beautiful! Thanks for another one for the files.

Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

Great ideas! Thank you!
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

I remember that Faith and Life had a wonderful Lent/Easter issue a few (2-3?) years ago that had ideas for Lent/Holy week. I am still kicking myself for misplacing it, but here is what I recall. There was a deep purple table cloth and a glass vase in the center with either black glass balls/beads that you find at craft stores or river stones. In the vase were empty branches nicely arranged. In Holy Week there was a small burlap bag tied with string, on Good Friday it was opened and coins spilled out (Judas' payment) . I know there was more . . . Does anyone have that issue? Come Easter they hung decorations on the branches, changed the table cloth etc. Now I am going to have to track this down. Hmm.

Lettres de mon Moulin
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Marjorie wrote:
I remember that Faith and Life had a wonderful Lent/Easter issue a few (2-3?) years ago that had ideas for Lent/Holy week. I am still kicking myself for misplacing it, but here is what I recall. There was a deep purple table cloth and a glass vase in the center with either black glass balls/beads that you find at craft stores or river stones. In the vase were empty branches nicely arranged. In Holy Week there was a small burlap bag tied with string, on Good Friday it was opened and coins spilled out (Judas' payment) . I know there was more . . . Does anyone have that issue? Come Easter they hung decorations on the branches, changed the table cloth etc. Now I am going to have to track this down. Hmm.

Marjorie, I have a mental picture of this image, but I just thumbed through my old issues and can't find it. I think I have all the issues, I'm just missing it! Maybe someone else can help.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

Jenn, I think this issue also had recipes for an Easter brunch and instructions for making the decorations - from blown eggs I think.

Lettres de mon Moulin
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Marjorie wrote:
Jenn, I think this issue also had recipes for an Easter brunch and instructions for making the decorations - from blown eggs I think.

I found it...I was remembering a larger picture. It's the Spring 2004 with Jesus from "The Passion" on front, just a small inset piece.

I can send the whole quote to you...not sure if should post due to copyright issues. Is it okay? Written by Elizabeth Kuhns

Bare branches in flower pot with black river stones or garden pebbles

purple and white fabric to make a two-sided table runner either going one way, or two to make a crosswise display. Children add felt Lenten symbols.

two wooden bowls with pretzels

Burlap bags for each place setting, tie with rough plain cord, use to fill up with alms for Lent.

Easter, flip the runner to white side, golden glitter pen write Alleluia runnign up and down cloths. Hand tree with decorated eggs.

Use tulips and daffodols instead of wooden bowls

fill burlap bags with candy and tie with pretty ribbon

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version