Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: WWII picture books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 22 2007 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I just wanted to add that I ordered the book, The Unbreakable Code, Irene, and my kids loved it. It generated quite a bit of great discussion. Thanks for the suggestion

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Aug 22 2007 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Kelly wrote:
I just wanted to add that I ordered the book, The Unbreakable Code, Irene, and my kids loved it. It generated quite a bit of great discussion. Thanks for the suggestion

I'm so glad to be of help. You've done that for me with lots of books along the way, Kelly!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Wanted to add this new picture book that is also about WWII relief efforts. Excellent book.

One Thousand Tracings: Healing the Wounds of WWII

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Patty wrote:
This isn't a book recommendation, but an interesting story. In, I believe it was the late 1990's, a group of high school girls began a class project. They researched the life of a woman, Irena Sendler, who saved many Jewish children. The girls wrote a play about this woman (which we have seen) and eventually they traveled to Poland to meet her and to perform the play! They have performed this all over the U.S. and in other countries. The play is called "Life in a Jar" because Irena Sendler wrote these children's real names on slips of paper and buried them in a jar. The children's names were changed for their own protection.

Check it out: www.irenasendler.org

Irena Sendler passed away yesterday. I read the obituary from the Washington Post today to my girls because her life was so amazing. May she rest in peace.

One thing I learned that upsets me is that she was nominated for the Nobel Peace prize in 2007. Unfortunately, a woman who saved 2500 children from death by the Nazis lost to a man who made a movie.

CeliaHartmann
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 09 2008 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote CeliaHartmann

I don't think I saw this one anywhere:

A Penny for a Hundred by Ethel Pochocki

From the back cover:

In is 1944, and nine-year-old Clare is old enough to help harvest potatoes. In Aroostook County, Maine, schools close in the fall, and whole families work to bring in the crop.

This year, with many of the local men off to war, German POWs are brought in to help with the crop. Clare and her family are not sure what to expect from the strangers, but it soon becomes clear that these men aren't so very different from young American soldiers.

For Christmas, Clare is determined to recreate at least one familiar holiday tradition for Peter, an English-speaking POW who has befriended her. Her gift--and Peter's present in return--strengthen the bonds of an unlikely and gentle friendship.
Back to Top View CeliaHartmann's Profile Search for other posts by CeliaHartmann

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2008 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CeliaHartmann wrote:
I don't think I saw this one anywhere:

A Penny for a Hundred by Ethel Pochocki

Ooh, thanks for the recommendation! I love Ethel Marbach Pochocki's books!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kristie 4 wrote:
We read an amazing picture book last year dealing with WWII. I will have to look it up because I have forgotten the title . However, I thought I would post anyways because we found the story so amazing. It is the story of a Japanese diplomat in (I think it was Poland) Eastern Europe. He wrote out many, many travellers visas for Jewish people that allowed them to escape through Japan.

I will look up the title....

Bumping up this old thread because in my library booksale I found Passage to Freedom: The Sugihara Story by Ken Mochizuki, illustrated by Dom Lee.

This is about Hiroki Sugihara's father, and how he saved thousands of Jews while he was a diplomat in Lithuania. Wonderful true story, beautifully written, not graphicly told, but touching. The illustrations are done in sepia tone, but so realistic.

up.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 10 2010 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

The Easter Parade

MaryM wrote:
Pancakes-Paris by Claire Huchet Bishop

This book has been mentioned once or twice before on the boards for inclusion in WWII studies, but not mentioned for Mardi Gras reading. I only recently discovered it myself when I bought it at a used book sale. It's an oldie (1947) and OOP but worth finding. It's a Newberry honor winner. It's a very touching/sweet story. Follows a young boy and his family and friends post WWII in France where provisions are still scarce and rations hard to come by. The children reminisce about the BEFORE when there was plentiful food and celebration - a time most of the younger children couldn't even remember. As Lent approaches they talk about the tradition BEFORE when they would have crepes (on Mardi Gras). The story's main character, Charles, has a chance encounter with some kindly American soldiers which leads to an adventure to make some pancakes for Mardi Gras. A story of hope, perserverance, charity, and gratitude.

MaryM wrote:
My Daddy Was a Soldier: A World War II Story - Deborah Kogan Ray
Tells the story of a girl whose father is fighting in WWII. Covers the daily lives of her and her mother, including tending a "victory garden" with explanation of what it was and how Pres. Roosevelt had asked families to grow them. Black and white pencil illustrations.

Don't You Know There's a War Going On? - James Stevenson
Told by a boy whose brother and father are fighting in the war. Mentions the "victory garden" they planted and grew lots of kale ("Nobody liked kale. It tasted awful."). It has a humorous, told-from-a-boy-point-of-view approach. Very simple small watercolor illustrations - kind of fun.

Lily's Victory Garden

thinkingmom wrote:
But No Candy by Gloria Houston - picture book about WWII

The Orphans of Normandy

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2011 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I'm adding this new (not yet released) book as it looks great. There are several picture books out on "Righteous Gentiles" who aided and helped shelter Jews during the Holocaust. They include people from various cultures/backgrounds (I've even seen Muslim and Japanese) but until now have seemed to ignore the strong Catholic involvement. This new picture book features the efforts of Irena Sendler. I wonder if the book will even say she is Catholic - hope so.

Irena Sendler and the Children of the Warsaw Ghetto

Bill Farnsworth has illustrated many really nice historical picture books. I've read many of Susan Goldman Rubin's picture books as well and find them well done.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 20 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Thanks for the head's up on the Irena Sendler picture book, Mary. It looks wonderful! I just place a purchase suggestion for it on my library system's website.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 11 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:
I'm adding this new (not yet released) book as it looks great. There are several picture books out on "Righteous Gentiles" who aided and helped shelter Jews during the Holocaust.

Irena Sendler and the Children of the Warsaw Ghetto

Also adding another Irena Sendler picture book that was published after the above mentioned one. It is also well done and gives very positive portrayal of Irena. I have read them both and really think they are worthwhile especially as Irena was Catholic and so they have the faith link.

Irena's Jars of Secrets
by Marcia Vaughan

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A couple more newer publications:

Internment Camps
Fish for Jimmy (Katie Yamasaki) - based on some family stories of the author, setting is at Amache in Colorado

Hiding Jews
The Secret of the Village Fool (Rebecca Upjohn) - amazing story of a Jewish family in Zborow, Poland who were sheltered and saved by a man everyone considered the "village fool." Anton Suchinski story - the book contains a pretty extensive "what happened after" end notes.

Our Domestic Church

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2015 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Franklin and Winston

This is the story of the Christmas that FDR and Winston Churchill spent together in the White House in 1941 planning their war strategy.
Oh, my! Loved it. I never knew about this.

IMO, the cover art is not so appealing, but the pictures inside make up for it, as does the story. I appreciate that Churchill needed two hot baths a day . Definitely putting this one on my list for St. Nicholas Day next year, when new books appear at my house.

Tag: Christmas, WWII, Franklin Roosevelt, White House, 1941, Winston Churchill

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version