Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Can we talk about the Brewer Diet? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Bookswithtea wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

Absolutely. I've always followed the 100 gram recommendation (but I don't do the milk) and I've never gained more than 30 pounds. This last pregnancy I gained 17 pounds. I'm built like Lisa and until number 7 I always got back down to under 125. With number 7 (a 3o pound weight gain) I kept ten pounds into the next pregnancy. I've lost all my pg weight from number 8, but those ten pounds still persist.

It sounds like you eat protein and large amounts of fruits and vegetables and very few grains, then??? Actually, that would significantly decrease caloric intake, I would think. A nice sized chicken breast (4oz) is 25 grams of protein but only 100 calories. About all those eggs, though...are you at all worried about cholesterol? Are you tossing some of the yolks, since the bulk of the protein is in the whites? And what about fat? Do you restrict this? I am getting better at staying away from desserts, but salad dressing is another thing altogether...

Yes, I ate and do eat a lot of fruits and veggies and very few grains. And I still strive for high protein amounts because I feel better. I dont' drink milk because I can't tolerate it. I can eat some yogurt. No, I never pitch the egg yolks. That's where much of the good stuff--the Omega 3s are-- and I'm all for lots of those. I don't worry too much about fat because nothing I eat has transfats and I don't fry things and I don't eat margarine. I do eat butter but not to an excess. For salad dressing, I'm a huge fan of olive oil and balsamic vinegar with some garlic and herbs. Olive oil is a good fat and we need good fat. Our babies need it, too.

I don't count calories. I really don't count much of anything any more. When I'm pregnant, I do count protein grams.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

KrisZ
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote KrisZ

I try to follow The Brewer Diet guidelines as much as I can, but it's so hard when i'm feeling so sick!
How do you ladies get down all that food? Do you just force yourself to eat, even when you're feeling extremely nauseous? I usually need to head for the couch whenever I'm done eating. Milk and yogurt make me feel terrible too. Any tips?

Mom to Joshua, Eli, Noah, Isaiah, Caleb, Daniel, Gemma, Jacinta, (Francis, Aaron & Macrina with God), & Baby due in December!
Back to Top View KrisZ's Profile Search for other posts by KrisZ

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

KrisZ wrote:
I try to follow The Brewer Diet guidelines as much as I can, but it's so hard when i'm feeling so sick!
How do you ladies get down all that food? Do you just force yourself to eat, even when you're feeling extremely nauseous? I usually need to head for the couch whenever I'm done eating. Milk and yogurt make me feel terrible too. Any tips?

Nope. I can't do it when I'm in the throes of early pregnancy. The one thing I try to do then is to make sure that if I do eat, I'm reaching for protein first. And if it's a carb you're craving, combine that carb with a protein, even if both portions are very tiny. Don't let the carb stand alone--the nausea will be worse in the end.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I don't get too nauseous early in pregnancy, this one has probably been the worst so far, but I have found that I feel much more ill in the evening and during the night, so I try to get it all in during the afternoon. Lunch is my big big meal, and I stretch it out to last a couple of hours. (Like a Hobbit I tell ya! ). I finish off my day with a protein smoothie, milk, yogurt, maybe some fruit, and egg protein powder, that's nearly 40 grams of protein right there! If I've met my quota early in the day, I might skip the smoothie, or just adding the protein powder to it.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

KrisZ
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote KrisZ

Thank you Elizabeth & Lisa. I will remember you both in prayer as I try to get that protein down.

Mom to Joshua, Eli, Noah, Isaiah, Caleb, Daniel, Gemma, Jacinta, (Francis, Aaron & Macrina with God), & Baby due in December!
Back to Top View KrisZ's Profile Search for other posts by KrisZ

Peggy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Peggy

A few of you have mentioned having smoothies.

Could you tell me how you make them? I tried once with a variety of berries and ice and it was very bland and not at all worth it for me, although my daughter didn't think it was too bad.

Thanks!!
Back to Top View Peggy's Profile Search for other posts by Peggy

Peggy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote Peggy

Nina, you also mention dealing with severe varicosities... I know this isn't a thread about that, but I deal with the same issue and wonder how you cope?
I use medical compression pantyhose and a fembrace (for the vulvar varicosities). These help, but I always end up wrapping my leg in ace bandages on top of the pantyhose because the throbbing gets to be so uncomfortable.

Walking seems to really help me this time around...

Have you any other advice for what helps you?

Thanks again!

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

In trying to boost my protein intake while pregnant, I discovered how vitally my body needs protein. Protein is actually my biggest food craving outside pregnancy; it really satisfies and sustains me. I am convinced of the vital importance of sufficient protein in one's diet, regardless of gender, pregnant or not, etc.

Yes, it can be hard to hit high numbers in the protein dept, esp. when you're feeling sick to your stomach. But, I still recommend doing what you can when you can do it. For example, if you can stomach eating and have a choice between simple carbs (i.e., a few cookies) or piece of chicken, go for the chicken. Or at least go for some complex carbs!   

You can even try to get some protein in through products like Barilla Plus pasta (17 g. in 1 c. uncooked per Barilla). It has quite a bit of protein and contains Omega-3s via flaxmeal. I've read good reviews on it (i.e., similar to semolina & much better than whole wheat in taste). We're going to be trying this pasta out soon.

Again, I encourage you to give the protein a try. The file I posted before that Elizabeth linked to in this thread is really helpful.

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Dear Peggy,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply---I've been really sick.

It sounds like you and I have tried the same things...It is tremendously challenging for me to find relief as I have very long legs and a large build, and I need everything custom-made. Hose never seem to make it up to my pelvis which is where I really need them. The varicosities of the upper regions are the ones that really make life difficult; the legs are just uncomfortable with the burning and stinging and pressure. Because I am so tall, my body has to work harder I think to get that blood circulating properly during pregnancy down to those lower legs....it's a long way!      

No, sorry---I have no help to give. I, too, really have needed that magic varicosities-go-away-pill.    ! Especially something that really WORKS for the vulvar varicosities...nothing puts enough pressure without cutting off my diaphragm---compressing my breathing! It is a dilemma...   

Walking never really did bring me much relief---but they say it is important. The most relief I get is truly just lying down on my left side or with the legs propped up.

Someone suggested to me once that Nettles are good for varicosities. I tried taking the pills for a while but my stomach got so upset I stopped my herb supplements. I think once the "damage" has been done, there is no real cure. You can only do your best to alleviate the pressure by staying off of your feet. I'll tell you...it is very hard, though. Even standing up to make dinner becomes too much time standing for me---it becomes excruciating. Not easy for everyone to be pregnant.      But I am so grateful and thankful to God that I got through my pregnancies and have these 8. It still astounds me!

God bless you!!!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Peggy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 04 2007 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote Peggy

Nina,

Thank you for your thoughtful and sweet reply. I am beginning to understand the truly holy idea of sacrificing my very body for the love of our God and the little ones He asks me to raise. This is indeed very hard for me as I don't do suffering very well and tend to complain and whine "why me Lord?"

In the end I do realize that as soon as this child (I'm due with #6) is born, my pain will be gone and in it's place I will have a beautiful child to love. I guess I can suffer for a little while in exchange for such a wonderful gift. I just need to remember that during my low points (like standing while I cook dinner too....it must be the end of the day thing!)

Much love and thanks to you. Sometimes it helps just knowing someone knows your pain....

Peggy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version