Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Books for the French Revolution Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 14 2007 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

The boy who died in the Tower WAS the son of a maternal relative of the Habsburg family (in other words: Marie-Antoinette).

So all those others claiming to be Louis XVII throughout the years were indeed imposters.

The little Dauphin died in the Tower.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2007 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

This is so embarrassing.....I'm serial posting
Here is a post from Elena's Tea at Trianon about the author of Song of the Scaffold. She links to a very in-depth article about the prophetic witness of the Martyrs of Compiegne.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 01 2009 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I just finished what will probably be my favorite book of 2009! (I know it's only January...... but this one will be hard to beat!)

Mistress of the Revolution, by Catherine Delors.   It is AMAZING!

Ms. Delors takes all of the extremely confusing events and people of the French Revolution and makes them come alive through Gabrielle. Royalty, aristocracy, commoners, military, and Judges of the Revolutionary Tribunal!!!!   

This is definitely an adult historical novel, as there are a few quite descriptive s-x scenes, which were a bit much, but one could argue necessary to understand the severity of the main-character's plight.

There is a review of the novel at Elena Vidal's blog.

This Question and Answer section of her website talks about the novel was developed and where her characters come from.

Catherine Delor's Blog, where she has interesting posts, further explaining things from the book.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 25 2010 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Challenge: If you only had 1 week for a crash course on the French Revolution for family members ages 15+, how would you approach it? I would like to be heavy on biography, books, movies, online resources, discussion, and being articulate about matters of the Catholic faith.   

Bonus: What are your suggestions for the younger set, 11 and under.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 25 2010 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

The Scarlet Pimpernel is a book and movie and if I recall right the movie is a good bit older so may be just fine for the younger set.

I've also seen these books recommended.

The Guillotine and the Cross by Warren Carroll
The Song at the Scaffold by Gertrud Von Le Fort
To Quell the Terror: The True Story of the Carmelite Martyrs of Compiegne by William Bush

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 25 2010 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Angie Mc wrote:
Challenge: If you only had 1 week for a crash course on the French Revolution for family members ages 15+, how would you approach it? I would like to be heavy on biography, books, movies, online resources, discussion, and being articulate about matters of the Catholic faith.     

I am SO PARTIAL to Tea at Trianon and Madame Royale, by Elena Vidal. Those would be the two books I'd choose for something like this...especially as read alouds! Makes for wonderful discussion. (Tea is first.)    Elena wrote them for exactly this reason! The Catholic faith tied to the Revolution and how it's related to today's society.

A week really isn't enough time to get the "details" straight, (there are SO MANY )...so I really wouldn't worry about all "that"...except for having a reference guide handy from the library or something....or even just a site readily available to quickly look things up when questions arise...who someone is or what group did "that," etc.

And, then for the olders if you want more for them...I would focus on either Marie-Antoinette or King Louis...either one of their lives and FAITH. Which was so deep and rich. Elena has lots of books recommended on her site on her sidebars. And, once you "narrow down" what you're looking for for each person, Elena is VERY gracious in returning emails....she'd probably have suggestions and opinions for each your readers...with their ages, interests, reading level, etc.    

Use Tea At Trianon Blog as jumping off points.   She expands a lot on the king and queen's faith life in her blog posts...she links a LOT and there is GREAT info for everyone! She doesn't have "catagories", but the search engine works really well, and I can usually find what I'm looking for. She also has "Articles about Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette by Elena Vidal" on her right sidebar.   They are all VERY INFORMATIVE!   Using her blog posts as jumping off points is REALLY FUN! She quotes from direct sources a lot.     

She has movies on there too...or maybe she keeps them in an Amazon List??? Not sure.

Angie....you and dd could read Catherine Delors' Mistress of the Revolution after you've learned about the background and details. I talked about this book in this thread a few posts up. It's a great historical novel and would "top it all off!" Delors also has a great blog full of great stuff!

Get a big map of Paris and hang it up.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 25 2010 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Angie ~
Did you see BrendaPeter mentioned this Anne Carroll CD on the French Rev? I've heard several people say this is really good.

And, this.....
mariB wrote:
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Orczy was a huge hit in our house. Our three boys were enthralled with it and our 7 year old daughter even more so! We were fortunate enough to get hold of an audio tape on library loan and the reader did a great job! Then we found the movie from the 80's and purchased that. Everyone was going around the house quoting the book!

For the younger crowd:
:: In Search of Honor ...Sonlight suggests ages 11-13.
:: Paris 1789 Grades 4-7
:: The Lacemaker and the Princess Ages 9-12.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 27 2011 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Adding The Queen's Dollmaker by Christine Trent to our French Revolution thread.

I originally heard about this book from Tea at Trianon about a year ago and just finished it...it makes a very good post-partum-book!

It would be a good older-teenage novel to read about the French Revolution, actually. There are definitely lots of adult themes, but nothing in great detail, except for the one scene Elena talks about. Many of the adult themes would be good jumping off points for mature teens....history, character, virtues, politics, dating/courting, etc.

E.M. Vidal wrote:
Claudette is a heroine of honor and integrity, caught between her admiration for an English gentleman and the memory of a lost love. The novel explores the difference between courtship based on restrained but genuine love, and the lust which destroys even as it seeks to quench desire. There is one explicit scene of an attempted rape which seems to capture the hateful passions that are unleashed by the Revolution. Because of that scene, I would not recommend the book to readers under fourteen or fifteen. However, the obsessive, manipulative behavior of the would-be rapist as compared to the devotion of Claudette’s future husband is an excellent reminder for women of all ages of the authentic nature of love.
(emphasis mine)

The typical stereotypes of King Louis exasperated me, but the sympathy shown toward Marie-Antoinette sort of made up for it.

The dollmaking craft is beautifully illustrated in this book....do we have a "Dollmaking Thread?" Fascinating!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 27 2011 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SuzanneG wrote:

The dollmaking craft is beautifully illustrated in this book....do we have a "Dollmaking Thread?" Fascinating!

No, but we should - like a dolls and dollmaking rabbit trail or an actual doll making craft thread in OLLLL?

And do you agree with Elena's assessment of not under 14 or 15? Or is your older teens rec. higher? Guess I should just read it, huh?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 01 2011 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

MaryM wrote:
And do you agree with Elena's assessment of not under 14 or 15? Or is your older teens rec. higher? Guess I should just read it, huh?

I would say it's higher. But, I could also see a 14-year-old who had done a lot of reading of "older" historical living books, involved in the pro-life movement, and talking about lots of current events, etc. reading this and have it not be any big deal.

There are references to adult themes via the revolution. Even though there are not DETAILS (except the r-pe scene). It's not all over the place....but it is there.

For example, Claudette makes a doll of the Princesse de Lamballe. The book talks about the rumors of Marie-Antoinette's alleged hom-s-x-al relations with her. (this is not true, btw)

Claudette almost gets sold into prostitution.

The conditions of the jail that Claudette gets thrown into paints a pretty horrible picture....it stays with you for awhile.

And, then the attempted r-pe scene.

hth

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 08 2011 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have been waiting and waiting to finally be able to add Trianon and Madame Royale to our list of high school history reading!!!! Woo-hoo!! These go to the top of our list for next year.

Adding a few more books:

:: Marie Antoinette by Bernardine Kielty - an oop Landmark, easily found and inexpensive. (Elementary/Middle)

:: The Lost Prince: Louis the XVII of France (Elementary/Middle) - this is a guess...I still need to preview this book...I'll update!

:: Marie Antoinette by Hilaire Belloc (High school)

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2011 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

SuzanneG wrote:
Another page-turner....it's not a novel, but certainly reads like one. I checked it out only to peruse and see what it was about, I really had no intention of reading the whole crazy thing, but I just couldn't put it down.

Lost King of France: A True Story of Revolution, Revenge, and DNA It's the story of Louis-Charles, Marie-Antoinette's son, and the mystery involved in whether he died imprisoned in "The Tower" (as was documented) or whether he was secretly rescued and lived.

The last chapter contains details of the DNA testing that solved the mystery in the 1990's. I skipped over much of this, as I didn't understand it, but for those of you or your high-school children who have micro-biology interests.....fascinating stuff!

I just read this one! It really is a page-turner! I literally stayed up all night reading it, it was that good!
For those who think this book might be too "sciency" I assure you it is not. The vast majority of the book (I'd say 80%) is a wonderful living historical account of the lives of the royal family and what they went through. Heart-wrenching! Especially that poor little boy! And then there is a section on all of the many "lost Dauphin" claimants. Only the last chapter or so deals with the DNA analysis and this is done in a very understandable way. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants an excellent, gripping explanation to the events of the time.I will be adding this book to ds's reaading list next year for sure.
ETA: my copy has a different subtitle than the one Suzanne listed.
The Lost King of France: How DNA Solved the Mystery of the Murdered Son of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2011 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

You can't keep me hanging! Did he somehow survive?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2011 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Erin wrote:
You can't keep me hanging! Did he somehow survive?

Sadly, no.
But you really should read the book. It's a compelling story, even if you know the ending. (I did when I read it).

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Another note:
The book is definitely not for the faint of heart. The insanity and brutality of the French revolution is really brought home. And the suffering of that poor little boy is just heartbreaking. Mature readers (older teens and up) only.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2011 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Erin....you asked this back in April 2007 on this same thread on page 2!!!!!!

Erin wrote:
SuzanneG wrote:
The last chapter contains details of the DNA testing that solved the mystery in the 1990's.

Suzanne
You had better not keep me in suspense , what was the conclusion? Was he or wan't he the prince?

SuzanneG wrote:
The boy who died in the Tower WAS the son of a maternal relative of the Habsburg family (in other words: Marie-Antoinette).

So all those others claiming to be Louis XVII throughout the years were indeed imposters.

The little Dauphin died in the Tower.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Can I plead breastfeeding memory loss? Can I plead...Oh I confess I'm not too bright.

I will write 100 times, The Dauphin died.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2011 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Erin wrote:

Can I plead breastfeeding memory loss? Can I plead...Oh I confess I'm not too bright.

You can claim breastfeeding and pregnancy memory loss COMBINED!                 And, you're STILL curious! Four years later and you're STILL the one to ask!!!!!    That's what I love about it! You STILL HAVE TO KNOW! No one else cares one hoot about this crazy book that Theresa and I are raving about!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2011 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Love it!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 09 2011 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mackfam wrote:

:: The Lost Prince: Louis the XVII of France (Elementary/Middle) - this is a guess...I still need to preview this book...I'll update!

This is good historical fiction for an elementary read. I'd say it probably works best for upper elementary - not for reading ability but for content.

The book was written before we had DNA evidence of the dauphin's demise in the tower, so does allow for the possibility that Louis Charles could have been smuggled out of France to America. The story is built around that premise, though it never actually claims outright that the main character of the book, Charles Fontaine, is the Dauphin. The book ends with the question still open.

One caveat - as part of the first chapter, THE ESCAPE, the author offers a wonderful explanation of the political climate of the French Revolution as well as the events leading up to the death of the king and queen and the imprisonment of the Dauphin and his sister. It's wonderful in that it offers an elementary student a glimpse into this complicated period of history and background context for the story. I do really like that. My caveat is that this section isn't related or written in a very literary style, and it could become cumbersome to a young student quickly. It's kind of a choppy, hastily introduced set of chronological happenings. The solution is easy - this chapter will be read and narrated V-E-R-Y slowly. The rest of the book reads wonderfully.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to include this (now oop) book in my son's reading for the year because it's based on an out of date idea/legend that the Dauphin might have escaped the tower, but in fact I quite like the book and really recommend it as a great elementary book for this period. What the book does very well is introduce the period of post-rev France (from about 2 years after the death of the king and queen), and weave together the story of the revolution in America with France. It also offers a wonderful glimpse at early American life in Philadelphia as well as the many contributions of the French immigrants to America during this period.

The epilogue of the book is quite wonderful - sifting the factual people of the story from the fictional ideas. The book ends in this way:
Quote:
Did the Dauphin really live in Azilum? No one claims that he did, but- who knows? "Born gay," his mother, Queen Marie Antoinette, said of her handsome boy. But to this day no one knows what became of the little Dauphin, the lost prince.

Of course, we do know what happened, and I think this book will set us up for an exciting rabbit trail regarding the fate of the little Dauphin, and for my particular science loving son, an exciting foray into DNA forensic studies.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version