Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Books for the French Revolution Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2007 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I just thought I'd come back here and share an amazing site I have found on the French Revolution

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2007 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Great site, Erin!

I recently discovered the blog of Elena Maria Vidal, Tea at Trianon. She is a Catholic author who has written two books on the French Revolutionary Era, Trianon and Madame Royale. I just purchased these books, but, life being a whirlwind, I have not had the private reading time to dive into them. Still, I trust, based on my knowledge of the deep Catholic faith (and engaging writing style) of the author, that I will be greatly edified and moved by them.

Perhaps these books are something you might consider as part of your studies.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2007 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Alice
I would be interested in what age you would feel these books suitable for. I have just checked out the authors blog, very interesting.

I have just written up an outline for dd on what I would like her to notebook regards her study. She has been floundering in putting pen to paper so I thought I would write it up in piecemeal. This is the first time I have done this so it is a learning curve.   Also it is the first time she has written an essay like this so again a learning curve for us both.

I share our plans here in the hope that they may help somebody else, like I have been so generously helped by many here

Notebooking Pages for Chiara (13)on the French Revolution.

Chiara this is to all be finished by the beginning of Holy Week. (Three weeks away. Readings have already been done)

Page 1- Create a title page ‘French Revolution’ include dates and pictures to create interest. Inlcude a photo of your cart.

Page 2- Using ‘Library Thing” (see mum) create a page with the covers/titles of the books you have read whilst reading this period.

Page 3- Design a timeline of the French Revolution (see mum) include all major dates. (you may use the internet)

Page 4- Photocopy a map of France marking Paris and other places if interest.

Page 5-Draw and colour a flag of France. Describe what the three colours of the Tricolore means.

Page 6- Using your calligraphy pen write out the words to the French National Anthem.

Page 7 (or more)- In a visually appealing manner write definitions in context for these vocabulary words.
Revolution
Monarchy
Clergy
Burgeoisie
Peasant
Bastille
Enlightenment
Terror
Tyranny
Versailles
Guillotine
Scaffold

Page 8- Draw or ‘google images’ of main characters during the Revolution period. Write a small amount of information under each character. Display these attractively in your notebook.
Include such names as:
King Louis
Queen Marie Antoinette
Robespierre
Danton
Madame Roland

Page 9- Write a narration on the ‘Song of the Scaffold’. This should be a good length.

Page 10- Write an essay on the question below using a Five Point Plan. What were the causes of the French Revolution and what were some of the consequences.

Paragraph1- Introduction (In three sentences you need to explain your topic. This should include a brief definition of the French Revolution and when and where it occurred.)

Paragraph 2- In this paragraph briefly state and describe the reasons as to why the revolution occurred.

Paragraph 3- Describe some of the acts committed during the Reign of Terror

Paragraph 4- Describe how the Church was affected during the Revolution.

Paragraph 5- Conclusion. Sum up the original question including points from your three paragraphs.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2007 at 5:31am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

To Quell the Terror, The Mystery of the Vocation of the Sixteen Carmelites of Compiègne, Guillotined July 17, 1794

http://www.icspublications.org/bookstore/others/b_others08.h tml

Haven't yet read the above book, but it has been on our wishlist since Sept. 11th, when I read of several people who watched vigil over the bodies of victims and happened to bring this book along with them...Sounds like an incredible resource for studying history as well as contemplating the present and the future. "Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it"!

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2007 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Erin, that project is amazing! What a way to learn!

I am not sure what age to begin these books because they were not written for children. The first chapter was easy to comprehend (it is clearly written) without being an "easy" book, if that makes sense. Still, I cannot say whether or not it is appropriate for your daughter, because I do not know if the author explores mature themes in the book. (If she does, I am sure it will be tasteful and very suitable for adults, but I do not know about children).

I would suggest you write to Elena Maria Vidal and ask her if she thinks her work is appropriate for children and teens. She is a very gracious woman who will surely write back.

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2007 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Erin:

I am about half-way through Madame Royale , and it IS a page-turner! As is Trianon I'm sure! Can't wait to get my hands on that one. I have to set a timer with Madame Royale or I'd just read right through the night!

It has lots of Marie-Charlotte's interior struggles, her thoughts about suffering, her prayers...which is very well done. The politics surrounding what is happening may be a bit lost on a young "newbie" to the French Revolution, although it's so intriguing that 13-year-olds would want to stop, look back at the family tree, or maybe look into "who was Mirabeau or Mirat, etc.", ...which is her purpose in writing a book like this...a living book about someone REAL who lived it. So, maybe that wouldn't be "too much".

There ARE parts where Vidal refers to marital infidelities within the court, etc. The prologue starts with the Duc d'Orleans having a conversation with his mistress (also the governess of his children). Not surprising, of course, but maybe not something you want to explain to a 13-year-old.      There are discussions about Talleyrand (priest against his wishes) and his mistress, etc. Again, very important and essential to the happenings, maybe not something to deal with at a young age?? There are NO DETAILS whatsoever, but, the concept is there.

Like Alice said, Elena is very gracious and returns emails quickly! I wouldn't hesitate to use her as a resource for specific questions that arise. This is her passion! She is thrilled that there is interest in her books within the homeschooling community.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2007 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Suzanne, is Madame Royale the first book? If so, I began backwards!    I am glad I brought this up, because I would prefer to read them in order.

Cottage Blessings

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2007 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Elena recommended this website with a book recommendation that I don't think were mentionned yet.

Brother Solomon: Martyr of the French Revolution

A couple of saints mentionned:
Blessed William Joseph Chaminade
Blessed John Baptist Turpin du Cormier
Blessed Catherine Jarrige

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2007 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Trianon is first; it's about the actual Revolution and the events leading up to it.

Madame Royale is the sequel.   

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2007 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Erin wrote:

Page 5-Draw and colour a flag of France. Describe what the three colours of the Tricolore means.

This was referenced in the prologue of Madame Royale!

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2007 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Thank you so much for the information, Suzanne. It will be fun comparing notes on these books when we complete them!

BTW, I just had an idea, and I hope it will work. We've been trying to be more CM in our school days (inspired by Lissa's blog!), and I have been assigning one hour of quiet reading to the children each morning. Maybe I'll assign myself Trianon! That's the one way I know the entire day won't get away from me without a (personal) page turned! I am going to try this tomorrow morning--what fun!

Cottage Blessings

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2007 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I read Trianon years back and just, just, just ordered Madame Royale today. I hope I get it before our Easter camping trip.

I'd love to continue discussion on these books and this time period.

I loved Trianon and Elena's blog answers all my questions about the book and more. She said that I'll find Madame Royale more informative of the time period. If that is the case, I'm in for a real treat because I found Trianon full of information.

Don't miss Elena's review of the the movie on Marie Antoinette. I happened to watch it the other night and briefed it to Elena this way:

"I could write a whole review on it...and might. But, in brief, I didn't like it. But, yes, it does have some merit.

"I didn't like the love scene. Yet the relationship with the king seems to have been considered well.

"I loved the scenes at her country retreat (I don't want to embarass myself with the spelling LOL).

"I so wish they would have left out the modern day music. ugh! even though I did get into the "I Want Candy!" one.

"Pimprenelle is right. Instead of giving young people the history and facts (because young people wouldn't come to watch that), they targeted this movie to the youth of today. It's a "caricature of MA, meant to meet teenage people's hope and interests."

"I kept seeing Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, and Brittney Spears frolicing, partying, shopping on the screen.

"The film was a big disappointment for me.

Elena has more on Marie Antoinette's reputation here.

I've also read "Song at the Scaffold" and was instantly thirsting for more information on the nuns at the scaffold and the events that led them there. I have the book Servant mentioned "To Quell the Terror". It's very historical and information. So much!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2007 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Cay Gibson wrote:

I'd love to continue discussion on these books and this time period.

Yes! I'm over here just "bursting" with everything that this book is making me think about. It's so beautiful....the obedience, the sacrifice, her suffering, the charity! And, of course, the politics of the times, role of the Church, etc. I could just go on...
But, alas, Madame Suzanne must go fold diapers and load the dishwasher.
Au Revoir, mes amies.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2007 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Cay Gibson wrote:
   "I so wish they would have left out the modern day music. ugh! even though I did get into the "I Want Candy!" one.
"I kept seeing Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, and Brittney Spears frolicing, partying, shopping on the screen.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2007 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

SuzanneG wrote:

But, alas, Madame Suzanne must go fold diapers and load the dishwasher.
Au Revoir, mes amies.

LOL, Madame Alice (pronounced "Ah-leese") is right there with you!

Cottage Blessings

jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 12 2007 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

May I ask where may one get a copy of the opera "Dialog of the Carmelites"

Thank you so very much!

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2007 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

Dear Erin,

I have been looking at this site. You may be able to find something here.

http://www.mainlesson.com/main/displayarticle.php?article=ab outus
(Sorry I don't know how to add a link)

You could spend hours perusing it. I just have for the last 2hrs and haven't touched the sides, but found many great references.
You may already be aware of it but I thought I would mention it anyway.

God Bless
C

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2007 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Another page-turner....it's not a novel, but certainly reads like one. I checked it out only to peruse and see what it was about, I really had no intention of reading the whole crazy thing, but I just couldn't put it down.

Lost King of France: A True Story of Revolution, Revenge, and DNA It's the story of Louis-Charles, Marie-Antoinette's son, and the mystery involved in whether he died imprisoned in "The Tower" (as was documented) or whether he was secretly rescued and lived.

The last chapter contains details of the DNA testing that solved the mystery in the 1990's. I skipped over much of this, as I didn't understand it, but for those of you or your high-school children who have micro-biology interests.....fascinating stuff!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2007 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

jackiemomof7 wrote:
May I ask where may one get a copy of the opera "Dialog of the Carmelites"

Here's one audio version: Dialogues des Carmelites
And on DVD

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2007 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Erin

SuzanneG wrote:
The last chapter contains details of the DNA testing that solved the mystery in the 1990's. I skipped over much of this, as I didn't understand it, but for those of you or your high-school children who have micro-biology interests.....fascinating stuff!

Suzanne
You had better not keep me in suspense , what was the conclusion? Was he or wan't he the prince?

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version