Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Books for the French Revolution Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Dd13 has just decided that she wants to do modern history this year. Its an area we haven't done at all and at 13.6 she can do in some depth.

We intend on starting with the French Revolution and work our way to the Second World War.

Perusing my shelves for books on the French Revolution I discivered only three books. I have The Guillotine and the Cross by Warren Carrolbut it looks too detailed for her I think it would make her lose interest. Tale of Two Citieswould be a good one I thought and Thunder of Valmywould be interesting. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions of novels. I also wondered about saints from that period.

I'm also after any ideas of activities to include, only one that comes to mind is to make a guillotine a bit much perhaps

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote mariB

Erin,

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Orczy was a huge hit in our house. Our three boys were enthralled with it and our 7 year old daughter even more so! We were fortunate enough to get hold of an audio tape on library loan and the reader did a great job! Then we found the movie from the 80's and purchased that.
Everyone was going around the house quoting the book!

marianne
Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Hi Erin,

This is a cd not a book, but I highly recommendAnne Carroll's cd on the French Revolution. I'm not sure what your shipping would be so I hope that's not an issue.

As much as the French Revolution was a revolution against the monarchy it was also a revolution against religion, particularly the Catholic Church yet very few history books mention that aspect.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I was thinking of The Three Musketeers but it is actually a tad too early, 1625.
I loved that book!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Song at the Scaffold A page-turner!!!

Madame Royale I haven't read it, but it's from Neumann Press.      

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Thank you so much for the suggestions, I'll go and check them out.

Just thought I'd share what I've found so far just in case anyone else is looking at this time, I have been surprised at how little booklists cover this period.

This is just a tenative list along with what you have suggested above.

Tale of two cities- Charles Dickens
Thunder of Valmy- Geoffrey Trease
Scarlet Pimpernel - Baroness Orczy
No Surrender- GA Henty
In the reign of terror - GA Henty
In search of honour- Donnalynn Hess
Princess Diary: Marie Antoinette- Katherine Lasky

Love to hear anymore recommendations.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

suzgallus wrote:
Song at the Scaffold A page-turner!!!

Madame Royale I haven't read it, but it's from Neumann Press.      

Suzanne,

If I am reading the blurb correctly on Madame Royale Marie Antoinette's children didn't die?? I had assumed they did. See how much I have to learn.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 2:12am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

She was exiled...to England, then went back to France during La Restoration, then to Austria after they were exiled again. She married the le Duc d'Angouleme (nephew of Louis XVI).   She died in the mid 1800's.   There are some who question her legitimacy, however, and don't believe that the actual Marie-Therese-Charlotte married the duc d'angouleme. She "changed" drastically, refused contact with her past life, and people say she didn't even LOOK like her. I THINK this is the story, but don't quote me on this...it's been years, and I get stuff all mixed up...

Here is the blog for Elana Maria Vidal who wrote Trianon (pre-revolution life) , the prequel to Madame Royale. Her blog is very interesting. She is a member of the Secular Order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

This was on her blog - "Marie Antoinette's life provided inspiration for the novel Trianon (first published in 1997) by author and historian, Elena Maria Vidal. Based on Vidal's painstaking research, this novel depicts pre-Revolution life at Versailles and the characters of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI with authenticity, in an attempt to dispel previous misconceptions about the royal couple. Trianon is the prequel to Madame Royale which is inspired by the life of Princess Marie-Thérèse-Charlotte, daughter of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI."

I thought of a couple other things while peeling carrots tonight :

Book: "Knight of Maison-Rouge."
The last of Dumas' "Revolutionary" book cycle. The others are:
Memoirs of a Physician,
The Queen's Necklace, Ange Pitou, Countess De Charny.
Thrilling, like his Musketeer cycle. But, I read them in French, not sure how they are in English. And a lot of times it depends on the translation version. I mention this in case there are others who are looking for "heavier" reads for older kids.

I know you were asking for books, of course! But, here are a couple of movies that I thought of that may be of interest for supplementing. Keep in mind the ones I have actually SEEN, I saw as a college student, with a very different focus and perspective! So, I am not necessarily recommending them as good for your particular study with a 13 year old, just that they are out there and may be worth looking into....or maybe you and dh may like them!

There is a movie called "Marie Antoinette" from the 40's.

"La Nuit de Varennes" (early 80's) Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette's failed escape attempt.

In 1989, a French historian wrote "L'Autrichienne" ("the Austrian") script was based on the transcripts of the queen's trial .

recent films :
Jefferson in Paris - Thomas Jefferson's stay in Paris as U.S. Minister to France prior to the French Revolution.

And, the recent movie "Marie Antoinette" made in '06 (I think). It's based off of Antonia Fraser's biography of her. I haven't seen it; it's on my list, though.   There is actual footage from Versailles, which even if the movie is bad, is fascinating and neat to see "in context."

"Affair of the Diamond Necklace". (maybe about 5 years ago) A French friend mentioned it to me, but I haven't seen it. Probably heavily romanticized.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 2:15am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

BrendaPeter wrote:

As much as the French Revolution was a revolution against the monarchy it was also a revolution against religion, particularly the Catholic Church yet very few history books mention that aspect.

I think this is why Neumann Press has published them. Elana Vidal does a good job illustrating this in her novels.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Great recommendations, all. I *would* screen "Jefferson in Paris" before you show it. I got a copy for our American Revolutionary studies and the cover indicates it might be a scosh steamy...it might even be R.

Did anyone mention the BBC remake of "The Scarlet Pimpernel"? The old one with Leslie Howard was good, but my kids loved this newer version.

Kelly in FL

PS I almost forgot to plug the opera "Dialog of the Carmelites", too, which is about the nuns who died at the close of the Revolution. If you only listen to one part of it, listen to the last bit where the nuns are one by one going to the scaffold. They're all singing a Te Deum (I think)...and one by one, the chorus gets smaller, until there's only a single voice left. It is very powerful. If your kids listen to the Anne Carrol CD on the French Revolution (or read "Song at the Scaffold")before they listen to this operatic selection, it will be especially effective.
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I agree Kelly.....
"Jefferson in Paris" (PG 13) - is very controversial! .....as Hollywood has taken their usual "liberties" with slandering one of the greatest of the founding fathers. It focuses on Jefferson's allleged s-xu-l misconduct in stead of on his intellectual and scientific mind.

But, it's still a movie with visual aspects interesting for a look into the time period. Prob not for 13-year-olds . Just watch it knowing about the slant.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Kelly wrote:
opera "Dialog of the Carmelites", too, which is about the nuns who died at the close of the Revolution. If you only listen to one part of it, listen to the last bit where the nuns are one by one going to the scaffold. They're all singing a Te Deum (I think)...and one by one, the chorus gets smaller, until there's only a single voice left. It is very powerful.

All this is making me want to read Song at the Scaffold again and listen to the opera!!!!!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 2:02am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just wanted to share some other titles that were suggested to me.

A Daughter of The Seine by Jeanette Eaton
The French Revolution by Thomas Carlyle
A diary of the French Revolution by G. Morris
The Journal of Madame Royal by Elizabeth Powers
The Taking of the Batille by Alexandre Dumas
The Countess De Charny by Alexandre Dumas
The Chevalier of the Maison-Rouge by Alexandre Dumas
The Reds of the Midi by Felix-Janvier Gras
Ninety- three by Victor Hugo

Also French Revolution paper dolls that apparently have lots of information as well as representing the major characters of the the FR.

GA Henty's bookNo Surrenderis also online at gutenberg press.

And I'm off to try Baldwin Project to see what is there that covers the FR. I'm going to try authors like BM Synge, Mary Macgregor, and H.E. Marshall.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 2:48am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

The Song at the Scaffold Suzanne recommends, I also THROUGHLY recommend Erin - in this story you will discover what stopped this bloody, anti-God revolution - 17 Carmelite nuns who had made an 'sacrificial offering' of their lives - the story with this story? - well it is magnificent!!!

It has a study guide at the back for each chapter from memory and I have a copy you could borrow if you don't have it! (small book, so cheap to post)

God Bless, Anne

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 4:24am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Erin,

I've just discovered that I have The Guillotine and the Cross as well....400gms worth of books that would be only $2.30 to send - if you do not have these two.

God Bless, Anne

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

suzgallus wrote:

And, the recent movie "Marie Antoinette" made in '06 (I think). It's based off of Antonia Fraser's biography of her. I haven't seen it; it's on my list, though.   There is actual footage from Versailles, which even if the movie is bad, is fascinating and neat to see "in context."    

Eewww ...It's off my list....I just listened to Michael Medved's review of it and it sounds hideous! Just looking at the cover turns me off. He does say there were "gorgeous costumes and locations."

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Erin:
Blessed Anna Marie Taigi lived during the French Revolution.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

suzgallus wrote:
Erin:
Blessed Anna Marie Taigi lived during the French Revolution.

Really!! Dd made her Confirmation last year and guess what name she took?? Anna Maria Taigi!!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Perhaps the reason for her interest in the French Revolution!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 2:26am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Erin~
St. John Vianney was a young boy during the French Revolution. If I remember correctly, the Vision book about him touches on this at the beginning.....

Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version