Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Aprons Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Jennifer, thanks for the link. I don't see what I am looking for, but I will keep checking back. I love their stuff too!
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

Cheryl M.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl M.

Oh - this is good!a piece on Catholic Exchange about aprons and here.

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Ladies, bringing this up WAAAAY late, but a great site for various apron patterns in all sorts of sizes is www.paisleypincushion.com. The patterns are not expensive, really, and contain a lot of sizes in there.

I just bought the busy bias an the shopkeepers aprons.

Rachel (who loves old aprons)

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

juststartn wrote:
Ladies, bringing this up WAAAAY late, but a great site for various apron patterns in all sorts of sizes is www.paisleypincushion.com . The patterns are not expensive, really, and contain a lot of sizes in there.

I just bought the busy bias an the shopkeepers aprons.
Delicious! the scalloped apron style is similar to one that Rachel May has...Lots of coverage and no ties!
Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

What I like is that the busy bias one is reversible...which is nice if you hit the clearance tables at the fabric stores and can find some nice pretty fabrics. I found some nice Robert Kaufmann stripes a few weeks ago, and have them "earmarked" for apron use...lol. Now I just need to decide what to use for the other side...lol.

Rachel
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2007 at 4:12am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Here is a lovely Catholic religious, denim apron - it looks lovely!

They have matching tote bags in large and medium.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2007 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

I love the apron and tote bag ... and what a great gift for a mom, grandma ... thank you!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2007 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Finally, (very few projects get on the fast track here ) finished this Edwardian Apron Now I am looking for a pattern that covers around the back, to keep dirt off from the goats' feet and is easily adaptable to use with my serger.
Paisley Pincushion Aprons may be my next attempt

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2007 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Has anyone seen or made one of the Mary Janes Farm? Do you think it would be difficult for a beginner to try (with a lot of help from her mum? )?

I'm finally catching up with the apron idea, and I like it!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 11 2007 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

lilac hill wrote:

Paisley Pincushion Aprons may be my next attempt

Viv,
Did you make any of the Paisley ones? I love that scalloped one. Wear an Apron Day is Monday. I'm off to sew right now !

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 12 2007 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Have you see "National Apron-Wearing Day" is Monday, May 14? See this press release.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2007 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

I have sewn the Paisley Pincushion Busy Bias apron. It is my favorite now! Easy to sew and fun to wear and it keeps me clean

Dawn, the bias binding may be a bit difficult (but not impossible)for a beginner. I say, go for it!

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2007 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

JennGM wrote:
the scalloped apron style is similar to one that Rachel May has...Lots of coverage and no ties!

My friend made the scalloped one, one for her and one for me, for our birthdays. We both love the style, the cut is generous over her baby bump and still flattering over my flattish tum, but we found that the straps fall down over your shoulder. I'm wondering if the neckline could be cut narrower, but I think you'd have to adjust the straps and those scallops. The apron is BEAUTIFUL!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 31 2013 at 2:41am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping the apron threads in light of the Feast of the Visitation today - as aprons always make me think of hospitality. Many of these links are now broken which is too bad as there were some really cute aprons.

So anyone have any cute aprons they want to link? What are your apron sources?

Also, I love this quote that Jenn shared earlier in the thread - it is such a beautiful image of sanctifying the day to Christ in the taking on of the apron to start the day:

JennGM wrote:
The older Brothers told us that when they began to work in the kitchen or in the bakery, they would make the humble gesture -- they would get down on their knees and kiss the floor and dedicate their day to the work at hand. We were considered somewhat more modern and began our day in the bakery by kissing the ties of our aprons as we put them over our necks, and dedicating our work to the Lord while we labored putting out the meal or in the bakery with this prayer:
Lord, make me a new man as I clothe myself with the apron of your love.
It was a small ritual that led us to believe that the work we were doing was sacred and the space that we were working in was a sacred space.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 31 2013 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm glad you bumped this thread, Mary. I hadn't seen it! This quote Jenn shared really supports what I was thinking, but of course goes deeper. I love that meaningfulness!

MaryM wrote:
Also, I love this quote that Jenn shared earlier in the thread - it is such a beautiful image of sanctifying the day to Christ in the taking on of the apron to start the day:

JennGM wrote:
The older Brothers told us that when they began to work in the kitchen or in the bakery, they would make the humble gesture -- they would get down on their knees and kiss the floor and dedicate their day to the work at hand. We were considered somewhat more modern and began our day in the bakery by kissing the ties of our aprons as we put them over our necks, and dedicating our work to the Lord while we labored putting out the meal or in the bakery with this prayer:
It was a small ritual that led us to believe that the work we were doing was sacred and the space that we were working in was a sacred space.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Rebeccca
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 31 2013 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote Rebeccca

JennGM wrote:
Came across this great little quote and prayer from Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking by Brother Rick Curry. It does relate to aprons...
One of the most famous Gospel passages is the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray in Luke 11:3: "Give us this day our daily bread." Jesus knew that bread was the perfect food to feed the world forever. Every day we celebrate not only the daily gift of bread of life but we celebrate the daily gift of life -- we're not alone. Every single day can be made special by having fresh baked bread.

Oh, my . . . I love that!
Back to Top View Rebeccca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebeccca

Rebeccca
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 31 2013 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote Rebeccca

AMDG

Wow! I loved this thread. Glad it got bumped!
Back to Top View Rebeccca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebeccca

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I wear an apron daily and rarely take it off to answer the door, unless I am expecting guests. I think the mailman really gets a kick out of seeing a woman in an apron - postively. I always wear an apron in the kitchen and sometimes even when I am working on laundry in the basement. I have large pockets in most of my aprons and toss phones, handkerchiefs, a pen and paper...in it. Very useful!
If I do something unusual, like wearing an apron, or going to Mass regularly, the people in the neighborhood don't really make a fuss about it, because I am a foreigner. They excuse my "strange" behavior, because I am american

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2013 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I just love aprons, I've gathered some free patterns together in the hope that one day I'll make some.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2013 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks for bumping these threads on aprons, Mary. I love aprons!

I tried updating some of the links throughout the thread...but a few a totally extinct.

I love that quote -- I know I posted it, but it still gets me. Work is sacred in the eyes of God, and an apron symbolizes that holy work.

I wanted to highlight this picture book Mary mentioned:

MaryM wrote:
Speaking of aprons - just tonight read a picture book that features a grandmother who wears an apron. Saturday Sancocho

I know I was more aware of it since this thread and there are obvioulsy many books with aprons. But it was clearly part of her lifestyle in this one. She is wearing it in the house. The text mentions her taking it off when they get tready to go to market. Then she is wearing it again later when they start cooking. I thought it was a cute and liked the apron tie-in.

I somehow missed that before. I also found another one this April and keep forgetting to post it here:

Ma Dear's Aprons by Patricia McKissack. This could be included for African-American month, too.

The son knows what day and the work to do by the apron his mother wears.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version