Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Aprons Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 14 2005 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

If anyone is interested, I have some old apron sewing patterns from my mom -- if you'd be interested, PM and I'll describe them further. They're free to anyone who can use them....

Blessings!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 14 2005 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Mary G. wrote:
Ah yes Elizabeth, but it doesn't stain

Kind of like putting a plastic diaper cover on a baby, no?

Blessings!

Tomorrow, I'm giving away any remaining plastic diaper covers I have stored. If I ever have another baby, I will not subject him/her to such misery . And now, I'm off to beg forgiveness of the seven I did diaper in plastic coated covers...
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2005 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

If you can get your hands on a copy of the June Country Living magazine there are a couple of short articles about aprons. Very interesting.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2005 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Mary G. wrote:

We got the blank canvas aprons at Michaels or ACMoore

We have a black canvas Alton Brown ("I'm just here for the food") apron. It was Tom's birthday present last year (I learned everything I know about cooking from my husband!) I always forget to wear it!

Aprons for the girls have been on my list of things to buy -- you're all inspiring me.

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2005 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

I saw plain muslin aprons in child size at Jo-Ann's a few weeks ago. The idea was the kids were supposed to decorate them with fabric paint. Might be a cute project for the kids. I made an apron for Katie a few years ago by copying a Daisy uniform. It goes over the head and ties at the sides. I just laid out the one I was copying and cut around it. I used denim. Came out nice.

O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 23 2005 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Came across this great little quote and prayer from Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking by Brother Rick Curry. It does relate to aprons...
One of the most famous Gospel passages is the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray in Luke 11:3: "Give us this day our daily bread." Jesus knew that bread was the perfect food to feed the world forever. Every day we celebrate not only the daily gift of bread of life but we celebrate the daily gift of life -- we're not alone. Every single day can be made special by having fresh baked bread.

The older Brothers told us that when they began to work in the kitchen or in the bakery, they would make the humble gesture -- they would get down on their knees and kiss the floor and dedicate their day to the work at hand. We were considered somewhat more modern and began our day in the bakery by kissing the ties of our aprons as we put them over our necks, and dedicating our work to the Lord while we labored putting out the meal or in the bakery with this prayer:
Lord, make me a new man as I clothe myself with the apron of your love.
It was a small ritual that led us to believe that the work we were doing was sacred and the space that we were working in was a sacred space.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2005 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Just got a catalog and there were some cute aprons.

O Night Divine

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 13 2006 at 2:19am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Just saw an interesting article that got me thinking about this old thread. EllynAnne Geisel is a woman who is rekindling nostalgia for the apron. She has a book coming out this September - The Apron Book: Making, Wearing, and Sharing a Bit of Cloth and Comfort and a national exhibit currently in Wyoming. It sounds fascinating - the stories they share on-line are really touching. This nostalgic topic obviously hits a chord with people.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2006 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

+JMJ+

As this thread is resurecting I wanted to add in a pattern that I am starting to make from: http://www.sensibility.com/pattern/edwardian.htm

All of the patterns from Sense & Sensibilty Patterns are very beautiful and oh so fun to make!

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2006 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Oh, we just bought a pattern and material so that we can make our own aprons.

I'll try and post pics when we're done.

We've been so busy swimming that I hope we can get to it soon!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Can anyone recommend a place to buy aprons for young girls? Any pattern recommendations?

Thank you!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

You might try Pottery Barn. I've seen some in their, I think. Also, a few toy boutique-type stores in my area sell children's aprons.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

1floridamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote 1floridamom

This was a really neat thread to read. The book mentioned sold out its first printing. I found this Plainly Dressed. They are expensive, but they were exactly what I was thinking of as I read everyone's comments and looked at the links. Here is Amelia's Aprons.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

BrendaPeter wrote:
Can anyone recommend a place to buy aprons for young girls? Any pattern recommendations?

Thank you!

I've thought these were very cute - but very spendy for a child's apron. I'd love to find this pattern.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

1floridamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote 1floridamom

Eeks, those are expensive, Mary. Simplicity 4286 looks cute and sort of similar. Simplicity 4344 one, too.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Mary, those are the cutest aprons ever! I love the gingham ones, my first apron I ever made, actually the first anything I ever made, was a yellow gingham apron!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 3:41am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Dd1 made ME an apron for a Christmas present. I was so surprised and impressed. An older woman gave her guidance through the whole project and it turned out lovely.
It's the best present I got!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

A while ago, Jenn alerted me to this apron that Kim had on her blog. Paisley Pincushion Scalloped Apron Pattern you can buy the pattern which has both children's and ladies' sizes. My mom bought the pattern for me, but I can't make it until my sewing machine gets fixed.

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

I am trying to find an apron similar to the one Rachel linked to on Kim's blog, but I want to buy it, not sew it!

Anyone have a good source? The criss/cross back and slip on style looks so much more comfortable to me than the chef style I see everywhere.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Try Anthropologie. They have lots of cute, retro stuff. I don't have time to browse, but check their Sale stuff and search for Aprons, they usually have tons. Everything I've ever gotten from them has been fabulous.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version