Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Do you remember Victoria Magazine? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

If there is one thing I miss, it is my beloved Victoria Magazine. It disappeared during a time I was extremely busy (probably between babies), and I have always wondered what happened to it and why it has never been brought back.

Can anyone recommend magazines or other sources for the same quality of beauty and old-fashioned charm as Victoria (other than all the gorgeous blogs of our talented members, of course!)?

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

almamater
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote almamater

Ah, I really miss Victoria magazine, too. And even though I am not as "victorian" as I used to be, I still miss that beautiful publication. I once came across a yahoo group established just for people who miss it and wanted to continue the conversations and sharing of information, sources, articles, etc.

Apparently it just didn't have enough advertisers to continue. Subscriptions do not keep a magazine going; it is the advertisers. What a loss! I have not yet found anything nearly comparable. *sigh*

Soulful Learning
Back to Top View almamater's Profile Search for other posts by almamater

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Alice and Jennifer -- have y'all checked out the blog Storybook Woods -- it seems right up your alley(s). She lives in a cottage and loves beautiful,old things. She always has wonderful crafts and may be a resource for finding info about Victorian mag (she seems like she may have been a subscriber too?).

Anyway, she really has a lovely blog and she's a homeschooler

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Right you are, Mary, it is up my alley! She seems like a cottage-y type too!

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Alice -- she lives in one too! Maybe we can bring her into the fold at 4real??????

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 4:59am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Oh, Alice, Victoria was the best magazine, ever! I read it faithfully right up till the end. I shared my subscription with my grandmother and we both enjoyed it immensely. I always harbored a secret dream to write for Victoria one day.

Sometimes I see articles in various magazines and think, "Oh, that was like a Victoria article." Magazines like The Herb Companion, British Country Living, Mary Engelbreit Home Companion or Country Home.

You know, if I were to imagine a "4Real Learning" magazine, I think it would look an awful lot like Victoria!! No wonder we all enjoyed it so!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Hmmmm, a 4Real magazine....I've always wished there was a way to combine the beauty of Victoria Magazine with the inspiration of our Faith and the wondrous homeschooling life. Oh, if only....

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Servant2theKing wrote:
Hmmmm, a 4Real magazine....I've always wished there was a way to combine the beauty of Victoria Magazine with the inspiration of our Faith and the wondrous homeschooling life. Oh, if only....

Faith and Family is a beautiful magazine--I think you would love it! It is not quite as ornate as Victoria, but it is lovely and very Catholic.

Cottage Blessings

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

You gals keep talking about a 4real magazine, why don't we just go ahead and do it?   

On a previous thread someone suggested Al Young's site.

I still have my Victoria mags. Can't part with them, though I've tried many times.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Yes, I love Faith and Family. But, I keep envisioning a combination of Victoria, Faith and Family, and Cheerful Cherub...is there anyone who remembers that sweet, charming, Catholic homeschooling treasure?

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Hey, you gals might like this:

Romantic Homes

Some folks at Southern Living forum suggested it as an alternative.

Or how about this?

Victorian Homes

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote Kim F

Yes I was going to say Romantic Homes. It looks closest though Victoria was more reserved and less overtly shabby chic. I still have all my back issues also. : )

I corresponded with the owners of Cheerful Cherub a couple years ago fwiw. Kathleen Bell was selling vintage Catholic finds on ebay when I found her. I believe this is her blog/site:
Kathleen Bell
I LOVED Cheerful Cherub. Still have those too!

Kim

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I loved Victoria magazine. My back issues are in a box in the attic (dh didn't go through all the book boxes in the garage, just stuck them upstairs...). One of these days...

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

I remember that magazine! How I loved it (although I never had a subscription). It was such a beautiful magazine. The publishers did an excellent job.

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Oh, how I loved Cheerful Cherub, Servant!
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Yes, Kathleen Bell wrote Cheerful Cherub...I've gotten a few items from her on ebay. Her writing in Cheerful Cherub was always so inspiring and uplifting...she gave us a peak into a Catholic family's homeschooling life, as it can and should be! I think I was drawn to CHC because their materials reminded me of the Cheerful Cherub style...sweet, charming and touched by grace!

I'm really enjoying looking through Al Young's site....has anyone subscribed to the Storybook Home Journal? The issues dedicated to various authors look very interesting! I think this will go on our wishlist for homeschooling materials for this year. This is just the type of thing we love!

If you get the chance, look at the Young's library....ohhhh, to dream!!!!! Their samples of stenciling are wondrous, too! Well, off to collect quotes for a future project!

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Kim F

Oh, how I loved Cheerful Cherub, Servant!>>

Luckily it looks like Kathleen is a prolific blogger!
Kim

storybook woods
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote storybook woods

Hello Ladies, I see all these hits on my blog from your message broad. So I thought I would say hello. I do adore Victoria magazine and still miss it. There is no other magazine out there like it. I have every issue from day one saved. I have them boxed b y season and pull them out with the seasons. It is nice to meet all of you. Blessing Claricehttp://storybookwoods.typepad.com/storybook_woods/
Back to Top View storybook woods's Profile Search for other posts by storybook woods

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

storybook woods wrote:
Hello Ladies, I see all these hits on my blog from your message broad. So I thought I would say hello. I do adore Victoria magazine and still miss it. There is no other magazine out there like it. I have every issue from day one saved. I have them boxed b y season and pull them out with the seasons. It is nice to meet all of you. Blessing Clarice

Welcome, Clarice! I think I've "met" you on Literature Alive list. I still love to recommend your Lovely St. Lucia Unit. I'm happy to find your blog and will add it my favorites!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I think Victoria was the first magazine I bought and actually my first magazine subscription. I saved many issues and got rid of all but one during a purging spree. Ever regret some of those sprees? That's one thing I regret!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version