Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Do you remember Victoria Magazine? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Hi Clarice! How kind of you to stop in and say hello! Your blog is lovely!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Nissa (and her family of publications) is starting a magazine this year somewhat like you have described. I'm not sure if she's a 4real visitor or not but she's on several other Catholic HSing lists with many of us.

http://gadboisfamily.com/simple_gifts

That's her blog address...I can't seem to find the other one right now. I'll get back to ya on it...

JoAnna

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kim F wrote:
Yes I was going to say Romantic Homes. It looks closest though Victoria was more reserved and less overtly shabby chic. I still have all my back issues also. : )

I corresponded with the owners of Cheerful Cherub a couple years ago fwiw. Kathleen Bell was selling vintage Catholic finds on ebay when I found her. I believe this is her blog/site:
Kathleen Bell
I LOVED Cheerful Cherub. Still have those too!

Didn't she reprint "The Year and Our Children" by Mary Reed Newland?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KellyinPA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote KellyinPA

I loved "Victoria" too! To my knowledge there is nothing out there like it. Welcome Clarice! I remember you from the "Making It Home" list Nissa's new magazine sounds interesting too.

the abundant life
Back to Top View KellyinPA's Profile Search for other posts by KellyinPA

Alice C
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote Alice C

Oh, I too, miss Victoria! I started getting it in high school and kept right on through to the end. I have lost some of the issues over time and travels, though. Last year, in a fit of nostalgia, I actually ordered 4 copies off of eBay.

Clarice, I have also been enjoying your blog for the last 6 months or so. It's beautiful!

a number of things
gardens of grace
Back to Top View Alice C's Profile Search for other posts by Alice C

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I got rid of everything when we moved on the boat (I have one box of very special things like my Irish Linens and scarves and a vase or two here on the boat) and I really don't regret getting rid of anything but the Victorias, isn't that nuts? Must be a sign of a truly obsessed person to still be mourning over boxes of old magazines!

I sold them at auction on a windy spring day and a young teen girl bid and won. She lugged them all immediately down to the family vehicle and started reading on the grass.

That made me feel better!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

storybook woods
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote storybook woods

Well you ladies are so sweet. Thank you for the hello's and kind words. It is nice to meet such kindered spirits. Clarice

http://storybookwoods.typepad.com/storybook_woods/
Back to Top View storybook woods's Profile Search for other posts by storybook woods

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Hello Clarice!!! How nice of you to stop by!

Yes, JoAnna, Nissa is a member--she has a lovely blog and just recently posted an especially nice craft along for the boys--making an Easter Cross from your Christmas Tree. You will find the thread at Our Lady's Loom!

Why does it not surprise me to find so many Victoria fans here? We are such kindred spirits!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

storybook woods wrote:
Well you ladies are so sweet. Thank you for the hello's and kind words. It is nice to meet such kindered spirits. Clarice

http://storybookwoods.typepad.com/storybook_woods/
Oh Clarice -- I'm so glad you stopped in. I've been reading your blog for about 2 months now. I just love the things you post -- it reminded me so much of Alice's cottage!

Don't hesitate to jump right into any post that strikes your fancy -- we'll offer you virtual tea or coffee and a great chance to chat with some wonderful folks!

Again, welcome!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Cheryl M.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl M.

I loved Victoria Magazine also - and have many, many issues(about 6 years worth) on a shelf in my sewing room - I cannot part with them. I even had a blue and white Victoria inspired bathroom in another home...sigh...a lovely old cottage. I haven't found anything to replace Victoria...yet.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Mary G wrote:
Oh Clarice -- I'm so glad you stopped in. I've been reading your blog for about 2 months now. I just love the things you post -- it reminded me so much of Alice's cottage!

Thank you for saying so, Mary. If that is the kind of impression I am making, I am extremely glad and honored to hear it!

Cheryl, I saved a blue and white issue of Victoria for the past twelve years in hopes that it would inspire my kitchen design one day. And guess what? It looks like I am finally getting that new kitchen pretty soon, so the magazine's ideas will come to fruition here at last! I wonder if your bathroom was inspired by the same edition!

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

alicegunther wrote:
Mary G wrote:

Thank you for saying so, Mary. If that is the kind of impression I am making, I am extremely glad and honored to hear it!

Cheryl, I saved a blue and white issue of Victoria for the past twelve years in hopes that it would inspire my kitchen design one day. And guess what? It looks like I am finally getting that new kitchen pretty soon, so the magazine's ideas will come to fruition here at last! I wonder if your bathroom was inspired by the same edition!

Oh, what issue was that blue/white? That was one of my favorites, and I might have to track it down. That was what I wanted MY kitchen to be!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

JennGM wrote:
Oh, what issue was that blue/white? That was one of my favorites, and I might have to track it down. That was what I wanted MY kitchen to be!

I'm not sure if this is the one, but I have a June 1997 "Summertime" issue that is called "The Magic of Blue and White." Is this the one?

If you don't have it Jenn, I'll mail you mine!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Dawn wrote:
JennGM wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the one, but I have a June 1997 "Summertime" issue that is called "The Magic of Blue and White." Is this the one?

I think it probably is, Dawn! It has a lovely woman on the cover wearing a blue and white floral dress, and she is sitting on a couch. I remember my husband making a joke, something to the effect of, "Is this a magazine for women who want to blend in with their couches?"

Ah, men, they don't really get Victoria, do they? : )

Cottage Blessings

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Dawn wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Oh my, Dawn, thank you for the offer, but I couldn't possibly accept that. I'm perusing eBay and see quite a few copies, but it seems they had a blue/white issue every year. So if someone knows the one with the kitchen, well, let me know, please. We have some painting and decorating coming up, and that would be great for inspiration!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

alicegunther wrote:
I think it probably is, Dawn! It has a lovely woman on the cover wearing a blue and white floral dress, and she is sitting on a couch. I remember my husband making a joke, something to the effect of, "Is this a magazine for women who want to blend in with their couches?"

Ah, men, they don't really get Victoria, do they? : )

Right when your message hit my inbox, I was looking at this! Seems the right description!

Because I came across this one, too

But maybe all the blue/white themes would be found in this book??

I think I already spent my book allowance for the year, though.

Cheryl M.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl M.

JennG...I think you might want the July 2002 issue - it has a blue and white kitchen in the "Summertime Blues" article on page 61-65. The July issues were mostly the blue and white inspiration - July 2000, 2001 and 2002 were all good for that! You *made* me get my July issues out and look through them....such a chore....(wiping the sweat off my brow)

July 02 also has the luscious lavender article....more sighs....

and the July 1998 issue with the girl on the beach in the blue/white toile dress on page 41.....I'm making me a blue toile skirt this spring.....

Ok - I'll stop and go hem my nephew's black busboy pants.....

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Cheryl M. wrote:

JennG...I think you might want the July 2002 issue - it has a blue and white kitchen in the "Summertime Blues" article on page 61-65. The July issues were mostly the blue and white inspiration - July 2000, 2001 and 2002 were all good for that! You *made* me get my July issues out and look through them....such a chore....(wiping the sweat off my brow)

July 02 also has the luscious lavender article....more sighs....

and the July 1998 issue with the girl on the beach in the blue/white toile dress on page 41.....I'm making me a blue toile skirt this spring.....

Ok - I'll stop and go hem my nephew's black busboy pants.....

Thanks for your hard work. I really appreciate the sweat on your brow. Wish I could have been there to help you turn those pages!

Oh, the lavender...contented sighs from over here. Just thumbing through those pages gives a sense of peace? That gives me an idea to thumb through some pages, then do my spiritual reading/praying.

I've got to keep my eyes open for these mags. I need my guardian angel to send me "such a deal"! I know, I'll post a Wanted on Freecycle!

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Someone asked previously if anyone had gotten Al Young's magazine "Storybook Home". It is an EXCELLENT magazine! I'm going to renew my subscription for the second time next month. The whole family is involved in the production of the magazine. There's a great cooking section, great ideas on how to really "doll up" your house (look at some of the back issues--I bought a bunch when I got my first year's subscription--there's some great stuff in there!)...there are occasionally tricks on how to do your hair (assuming you have long hair) in old-fashioned styles...and of course the wonderful info on the books.

I wish I could afford some of their artwork, but these days, the only artwork on my walls is the religious and the scribbles (which I find only when I am crawling around on the floor and getting down to that level, lol).

Rachel
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Rachel, I was going to ask if anyone else had gotten Al Young's mag. I've only ordered one older one and it was just a black and white paper thing. So I was kinda disappointed, their website is so lush...are the newer editions in color?

(It sounds so trite but I want to know before I order any others)

The daughter did send me a handwritten note and enclosed some cool chicken notecards! Very nicely bound together with twine. Reminded me of our family farm immediately!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version