Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Candleside Chat Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Lorri

teachingmom wrote:
I live in Northern Virginia, outside of Washington, DC.

How fun, Irene - I live in DC, directly across the river from Reagan Nat'l airport. We're an Army famiy living on an Air Force base.

Back to Top View Lorri's Profile Search for other posts by Lorri

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Lorri,

You're pretty close to me; we're about 15 min. from Fort Meade in MD...I used to drive down by where you are all the time when I worked at National Airport! (And my dh works by that hot dog stand you mentioned in your cool blog...)

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

This morning when I woke up, I was so looking forward to seeing who stopped by here today. Hello Stephanie, dear fellow four-girls-in-a-row Mom. We are praying for all of you in Germany--my husband's father's side of the family hails from Bavaria, although I do not know exactly where. MacBeth is the mother whose children speak German.

Maria, I am thrilled to hear from you and will pray for your dear daughter. It is an inspiration to meet someone who has home educated all the way through high school with success. With a four month old, you have many years to go, so we will enjoy your company for a good long time to go!

Mary G, if I drive to CA (something I toy with every day), you may be sure Denver and you beautiful Rocky Mountain Moms will be on the itinerary.

Hello Natalia and Jennifer!

Maria B. wrote:
I would love to hear from moms who have children with medical issues involving constant MD appts. and how they fit school into the mix of coming and going more than one would like. I have two daughters with scoliosis, my oldest is in weekly therapy, my baby gets PT once a week, and two of my boys need speech therapy.

This is a subject that would be extremely useful for us to discuss at length, and I think it would be a blessing to many mothers who are experiencing this. Some of the mothers who could best participate may not be reading this forum [Fireside Chat], but I wonder if we were to begin this subject at "Special Blessings," if it would encourage others to join in. Please let me know if you would like me to begin a thread there--or maybe you would consider posting one. I think this is a common struggle and one felt more keenly by homeschoolers.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, I'm enjoying all the chit-chat. Alice was so on the mark starting this thread. We haven't really had a place where new members could just share at length and chat.

I forgot to mention I live in Northern Virginia, in Manassas. Despite all the people on these boards that live in close proximity, I still feel isolated. And I think many of us have that same feeling, mostly because being a SAHM and homeschooling you are creating your own island, especially if you have littles. I tie myself down to be around for naptime, dinnertime and bedtime. That cuts down on times to spend with other people. I'm blessed to be around siblings and my parents, but then again, that limits time to make new friends.

AND...I don't like to drive inside the Beltway. I dislike traffic and congestion and the stress. I'm not afraid, I just don't make it a regular habit, because it usually turns out if we go out, the day is shot.

Was it Nancy (guitarnan) who originally posted the VA/MD spring get together thread? I think it's a good idea. I'm rather a shy person, but managed to get some get togethers with a few local moms on this board and was so happy I did....and trying to find more opportunities.

I ran out of my favorite coffee two days ago. For Christmas I bought a new coffeemaker which has made my home coffee brewing experience enjoyable. But I have to praise the coffee from Pampered Chef. It's just so yummy! My sister is a consultant, so I'm bugging her to get some more.

I've been having problems enjoying my homemade coffee. I thought it was mostly the maker, but Maryan on this board steered me to something different. She's found that she liked Arabica beans, that other kinds are more bitter. So I've been on a quest trying coffee with only those kind of beans and EUREKA, she's right. And the PC coffee is also made from those beans.

That's a small example of a blessing of these forums and female friendship. We can learn from other people's trial and errors and their successes. Why reinvent the wheel when our sisters in Christ can help us along the way in so many areas?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Wow! I just sat down here with my oriental spice tea, curled my feet up under my skirt, and cozied in to read this thread, and I'm so glad I did!

I hail from dreary NW Ohio, I've barely ever left the tri-state area. Husband and I settled down and started our family directly out of high school, where I graduated by the skin of my teeth! That is one of my biggests struggles on this board, I don't have a 'higher education' and I often feel very inadequate. I'm so glad I got over those feelings and jumped in though, I've 'met' so many delightful women here.

We belong to a great parish, it's the one in our diocese with no parish bounds, so we all come from all over. Many homeschoolers, but we live so far apart. My sense of isolations comes from two things, the distance I live from other homeschoolers, and the size and age of my family right now. That combined keeps me home most of the time, and I generally enjoy that, this board makes it much much more pleasant.

It's so wonderful to hear from newer members and newer homeschoolers. (we've been homeschooling for 7 years now) I gain so much from so many variying perspectives. Thanks for starting this thread Alice!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Lorri wrote:

How fun, Irene - I live in DC, directly across the river from Reagan Nat'l airport. We're an Army famiy living on an Air Force base.

Lorri,
My husband works up at Bolling, at DIA. Unfortunately, we don't live anywhere near there! Such is life in this area. We are down in the Stafford/Fredericksburg, down 95.

I have four girls ages 3-10,too. Then I have an baby girl born last April, a 9 yr old boy and a 15 yr old boy.

There are still some houses for sale on my street! How great it would be to share a real cup of coffee or tea with some of you.

Jenn, I have some good friends in Manassas. Sometimes I wish we hadn't moved down this way. There are so many nice things about Manassas. Do you go to All Saints?

You know, this is kind of fun. Just being able to chat. When you post a response to a particular topic on the forum, you always feel like you need to stick to the topic. Sometimes, tangents are fun!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Diane
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote Diane

I only have a few minutes to write, but I can't pass up the chance to sit at the kitchen table with the dearest of friends, old and new. I'll bring the Belgian chocolates---they do go well with tea and coffee, don't they? They do, trust me. Oh, and some local pastries too---filled with fresh cream or custard and fresh fruit and chocolate---oh, they are the best!   I'm gaining weight just thinking about them.

In case you don't know my story, I am a home-educating mother of 6: Elena (13), Valya (11), Nastia (9), Mariana (6), Jacinta (4), and Charlie (3 in 4 days ). Valya and Nastia were adopted in Russia in 2002. Mariana and Jacinta were adopted in China in 2001 and 2003. Charlie was a big, blessed surprise, conceived less than a month after we adopted Jacinta. So, we had an only child for 8 yrs and then added 5 more in less than 3yrs. It's been a wild and crazy ride, but I'm hoping the Lord knows what He's doing.   I sure don't, most of the time.

My dh is in the Air Force, and we have been stationed here in Belgium for the past 2 1/2 yrs. We plan to move back to the US this summer but don't know where yet and probably won't know until Feb or Mar. It's been a wonderful experience for our family, especially the travel throughout Europe, but we are ready to come home. I'm praying it will be close to some of you.

I think I'm both an old-timer and a new-timer here. I may hold the record for lurking---I joined the CCM list back in 1999, when I only had one 6yo. During several years of reading, I posted there only a handful of times. I moved over to this board when it began, but it still took me over a year to register and begin to post sporadically. Although I have battled my insecurities about belonging here in the past and even recently, I have found that whenever I do reach out, I am always warmly and lovingly received. I guess I finally decided that these friendships are worth the risk involved---it's much better than loving from afar.

One thing I love about internet support is that we are not bound by time or space. We can all join the conversation whenever we can steal the time and still be a part of it. But one thing I do not like is that it sometimes feels like I am talking in a pitch black room, especially when no one responds to a post. I don't know if others in the room are smiling and nodding or rolling their eyes and shaking their heads or if no one is even in the room at all. Now I know that no one here would really roll their eyes and shake their heads at me, even in the dark, but once in a while that naughty little voice in my head whispers lies. I try to keep it in perspective and remember that there are many, many posts that move and touch me, make me laugh or cry, and I don't have the time to respond. If we responded to everything, we would really never get off of the computer. So, I try to believe the best about your reactions to me, and I'm sure the best is how you truly are.

Okay, I guess I took more than a few minutes. Just a few personal notes...

Maria B. wrote:
I have lurked here for years ... always wanting to join in, but wondering if I should "start something else". I realize now that this is not "something else", but a circle of friendship that I wish I had joined in earlier.

MARIA! It is so wonderful to see you here. I have missed your kind friendship and witness so much. Maria led my beloved TORCH group in NoVa, but back then she only had 9 kids. She is amazing---a sweet, beautiful woman and mother---and I know she will be such a gift to these forums. I'm so happy you joined the conversation, Maria.

St. Ann wrote:
I am probably the only one here who does not homeschool exclusively. It is illegal to homeschool here in Germany.....I have 4 girls ages 3 - 10. Oh, how I wish our girls could meet and spend time with all of yours! Only a few thousand miles stand in the way.

Stephanie, we are not all thousands of miles away.      Dh and I just spent the weekend near Bitburg. My inlaws are heading back to the US next week---we will have to plan a get-together after that. And I don't think you are the only one here who does not hs exclusively. I just think they tend to be more quiet on the boards.

And finally, dear sweet Alice, you never cease to amaze me with your brilliance and generosity. Within hours of learning that some might feel less than completely included at 4Real, you find a real and loving way to reach out to them/us. I do love you. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you must sometimes wince at the blows to your humility, which you carry so naturally. I really do want to be Alice when I grow up.

Welcome to all! And thanks for coming to the table. I really look forward to getting to know all of you better.

The Journey of a Mother's Heart
Back to Top View Diane's Profile Search for other posts by Diane Visit Diane's Homepage

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote Lorri

teachingmyown wrote:
Lorri wrote:

Lorri,
My husband works up at Bolling, at DIA. Unfortunately, we don't live anywhere near there! Such is life in this area. We are down in the Stafford/Fredericksburg, down 95.

I have four girls ages 3-10,too. Then I have an baby girl born last April, a 9 yr old boy and a 15 yr old boy.

There are still some houses for sale on my street! How great it would be to share a real cup of coffee or tea with some of you.

Jenn, I have some good friends in Manassas. Sometimes I wish we hadn't moved down this way. There are so many nice things about Manassas. Do you go to All Saints?

You know, this is kind of fun. Just being able to chat. When you post a response to a particular topic on the forum, you always feel like you need to stick to the topic. Sometimes, tangents are fun!

How fun to find so many of you are "neighbors!" Molly, my husband works at DIA, too. Small world.

Because our air force base is located in one of the worst neighborhoods in DC, we have a HUGE homeschooling population here. We have our own Catholic homeschooling group on base, too. We usually go to Mass on Fridays, then have lunch together in one of the rooms at the chapel. Sometimes we have something academic or craft-y planned, other times we just have "game day" for the children.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Lorri wrote:
How fun to find so many of you are "neighbors!" Molly, my husband works at DIA, too. Small world.

Because our air force base is located in one of the worst neighborhoods in DC, we have a HUGE homeschooling population here. We have our own Catholic homeschooling group on base, too. We usually go to Mass on Fridays, then have lunch together in one of the rooms at the chapel. Sometimes we have something academic or craft-y planned, other times we just have "game day" for the children.

Your situation sounds great, Lorri! As Jenn said, even though many of us live within 15 or 20 miles of one another, we often see one another very sporadically, if we meet at all. So this board is a way for us to keep in touch, even if we are practically neighbors.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Lorri, your post on the Pentagon was the best! Do you think that is where our military guys develop this love affair with hot dogs? I know a good brat is my dh's ultimate comfort food! Now maybe I've figured out why...all those stressful meetings in that strangely shaped building, the only bright spot - a hot dog!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Lorri

teachingmom wrote:
Lorri wrote:

Your situation sounds great, Lorri! As Jenn said, even though many of us live within 15 or 20 miles of one another, we often see one another very sporadically, if we meet at all. So this board is a way for us to keep in touch, even if we are practically neighbors.

Well, around here 15 or 20 miles is not a short drive! I hardly ever drive off base, the traffic freaks me out and don't get me started on the on-ramps with no room to merge. I imagine myself stuck on one, all the children in the car, crying (me that is) because there hasn't been a break in traffic big enough for me to merge into. Then again, I'll go out of my way to avoid making a left turn without a left turn arrow. After getting lost downtown one too many times, we bought a GPS for our car. Just last week we were coming home from Walter Reed and my dh says, "I'm not exactly sure how to find the freeway from here."    Thank God for that GPS!

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Lorri

marihalojen wrote:
Lorri, your post on the Pentagon was the best! Do you think that is where our military guys develop this love affair with hot dogs? I know a good brat is my dh's ultimate comfort food! Now maybe I've figured out why...all those stressful meetings in that strangely shaped building, the only bright spot - a hot dog!

Thanks, Jennifer, I'm glad you enjoyed my post. I like the thought of all those high ranking guys trying to eat a hot dog without dripping mustard and relish on to their spiffy Class A uniforms!

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Oh, this thread is so lovely! And there are many of you I know in northern VA. Maria B., how is your sweet Lucy doing? Diane, chocolate! Good idea. And Irene, how wonderful that we added baby girl number six to our families at nearly the same time! Jenn Miller, I am in Bristow, just 4 miles from the heart of Manassas.
I have 7 children right now, six daughters ages 12 to 3&1/2 months and one son, age 8. I think I can be considered officially insane as I can hardly wait for the Lord to bless us again with another baby if He wills it. Of course, hoping like crazy to one day have another sweet boy.
Anyhow, I have have been lurking since July and only recently began posting. I have some dear friends IRL, but in the past few months, the reality of schooling 4 children and a new baby have made me want to stay home a whole lot more . So these boards have become a constant companion. I am find myself embracing this homeschool lifestyle in a whole new way this year and feel the draw to spend more time in my home, living the domestic church more fully.
Alice, I can't tell you the inspiration and joy I've drawn from your posts and your blog. What a lovely soul you are! Not to mention all the wonderful women who so freely share their wisdom and creativity. I can only hope that my small contributions can bring such blessings to others.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Ladies, thank you so much for your encouragement. I had tears in my eyes as I read your words. I think it's going to take me awhile to find what will work for us.

We are using mostly AO. I love AO but I find that it is not overly conducive to moms who are hsing more than one child. When my ds starts Gr.1 we will try to do history and science together. Even though my two oldest are only 18 months apart, academically they are about 3 or 4 years apart. My dd has been reading now for almost 4 yrs. My ds could care less about learning how to read or even to have me read to him. So the books that I would read to my dd would be way over ds' head.

Maybe I am making this more difficult than it needs to be. I just don't know how to make it simpler :)

Thanks again for the words. They meant alot to me.

Julia
mom to 3(7,6,4)
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Juliainsk
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Julia,

Don't worry about the reading gap. Boys often read later than girls, and he may just need time to be more ready to read. He will listen as you read to your other children, never fear (ds 14 eavesdrops all the time, and dd 9 does the same). It's perfectly OK to read while he tinkers with Legos or something. He'll still absorb something.

Another thing we've done is read the same thing illustrated by two or three different artists (like, "A Visit From St. Nicholas" AKA "The Night Before Christmas"). The kids really enjoyed comparing the illustrations and deciding which they liked best.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Well, it's late afternoon here, and I have my fresh cup of Peets. Please pass the cream!

I guess I am kind of an oldie - maybe somewhere in the middle? I post like crazy here, so you've probably seen my username, now and again.

First I'd like to thank Alice for hosting this lovely get-together. Oh, how I wish we could really do this in person.

To all the new members - hello! - it is so nice to meet you and I will be going back through this thread so I may digest all your wonderful posts.

While I have a minute, let me just quickly introduce my family. We live in New England, not far from Boston - my husband, Bill (40), three sons (11, 7 and 5) and me (almost, but not yet, 38 ). We've been homeschooling since my oldest did his one and only year of preschool at age 4. We've never looked back.

That's all I have time for right now - off to CCD with the 7yo. Could I take my coffee to go? I'll be back soon - and I'll bring the gingerbread muffins!!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Hello everyone

I have been waiting for a free moment to join this get-together: I am bringing a pot of of strong Tetleys tea (which I still have sent from England) and warm buttered scones with strawberry jam.

I live in Herndon - a Northern Virginia suburb just outside of Washington DC. (great to see all the others in the DC Metro area). I have 4 children - dd(10), twin ds (7) and ds (almost 3) - I am 12 weeks into expecting #5.

This is my second year homeschooling. I first thought about it when my dd was 4 and my then neighbor and still very good friend was homeschooling. But we decided not too and went through hoops to get our kids into a good Catholic school. Each year when the time came in the Spring for registration for the following year, I would go through my homeschooling blues trying to decide whether to pull them out. We finally made the decision in 2005 - and it has been the best lifestyle decision we ever made. The difference in our family and faith life has been enormous - not to mention stress levels. My kids who did well in parochial school and liked it have never asked to go back - in fact they express horror at the possibility!

I do not know a lot of Catholic homeschoolers - our parish has only 4 homeschooling families, and I know some people from the local TORCH group. I am still trying to find the right fit of people and activities. I am not the kind of person who can do hundreds of things - we like to be home and have a few regular activities. I have found we have more peace with less activity. And... ok I am actually going to admit it.....I tend to only do fairly local activities because I do not like driving on major highways, and I always find quieter longer routes. For those of you who are local - I have NEVER driven on I495!!!(we save all our long distance field trips for weekends when dh is home) OK - I have admitted it - a lot of people make fun of my "problem with highways" - must be because I only got my drivers licence when I was 24 - we lived in France and England and I either rode my bike or took public transport.

My main homeschool challenge right now is trying to get the balance between "Real Learning" and "traditional learning"

I love these forums - I was on the CCM email list for about a year and joined the forums in the summer.

It has been so nice to meet everyone. Alice- thanks for arranging this. I have to run - I need to pick up my older kids from music lessons.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Jordan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Jordan

Hello, everyone.    I am new to this forum and have really enjoyed reading through many of the threads here and I love the blogs too. I saw this new thread yesterday and have been anxious to respond since then.

So far, I have two children: Elizabeth is just about four and Jonathan is 20 mo. My husband is in the Air Force and we are currently living in Germany and have been here for 10 months. Although there are many Americans here, it is still easy to feel isolated. I am feeling especially homesick after a seven week trip to the States that we just enjoyed. I love the ease of internet friendships and hope these forums can be a source for lasting friendships as children grow and families move.

My children are very young and so I don't have the homeschooling experience that most of the other women here have. I wonder if anyone else would be interested in discussing the particulars of the early years (ages 3-5) in preparing for a Catholic CM education. I imagine most families here have older children too so the trasition to K and 1st grade is more smooth.

Okay, well I just tried to do the quote thing from another person's post but I can't figure out how do do it without changing pages and I don't want to delete what I've already written. Anyway, I'm in a similar place to JennGM in that I'm focused on learning all I can about homeschooling while I still have time. Dh and I knew we wanted to hs even before our children were born and I'm thankful to have this time to learn as much as possible. At the recommendation of a friend, I read "Real Learning" when dd was 18 months old. It sounded perfect to me and I really felt it described what I wanted for my family. I have added some Montessori stuff to our early years and I'm interested in learning more about a classical education and how that would work with a CM style.

I suppose that about sums things up for me. Thank you, Alice, for this opportunity. It really can be intimidating to join such a great group that is already established. You are very kind to think of people who may be looking for a chance to become a part of this great group.

Warmly,
Jordan
Back to Top View Jordan's Profile Search for other posts by Jordan

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Jordan,

Military life really meshes well with homeschooling. I wish we'd done it from the beginning as you intend to. Dh has been in the Navy for over 20 years and we endured traditional school through grade four with my son (now in grade 9). We really, really like the flexibility. When Dad's working rotating shifts we can maximize family time. We took a great Space-A trip to Germany this October...got on our first flight choices both ways! It's really helped keep our family close and enhanced our faith in so many good ways.

When we first started, we were stationed in Italy and I was the only Catholic homeschooler on our base, so I can relate to your sense of isolation. Finding internet communities of Catholic homeschoolers really, really helped. I know you'll find wonderful ladies here, just like you, with young families and lots of ideas and questions...just ask about anything, you'll see!

(And hang in there...get out and see some German places. It gets easier once you've braved the local economy a few times. Just try a local playground or some pleasant town...)

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Mary G wrote:
alicegunther wrote:
Darling Erica, you are a perfect example of a person I do not need to know personally to love!

Would that I were there right now!

And then Alice, if you cross-countried it like Lissa did, you could stop and see some of your favorite Denver 4realers! [we need an emoticon for pleading ]

I keep telling her the same thing! She could make a 4Real pilgrimage, for real!

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version