Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Candleside Chat Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lillian
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Lillian

I've been reading and enjoying this forum but was at a loss for how to join in. I can see the beauty and closeness in many of the relationships that have formed here.

I have 5 kiddos ages 1-8. We are moving in 1 week to a new place to be closer to family. And although I'm thrilled to be so close to my mom(s), sister and cousins, I'm a little worried about starting all over. Having to meet a new homeschool group, getting new friends for my girls, praying for at least one close friend for me, etc.

So I'm hoping this forum will help me to feel part of a community while in a new city .... that is unless you gals aren't real!! I really enjoyed the thread on blogs and whether these are real relationships!!

I'm sipping my green tea and trying to relax and stop worrying about moving and starting over, but I also can't wait!!!

Not sure what else to say. My oldest is in 3rd grade and LOVES history! We're doing American history and I'm ashamed to say that although I majored in history, I never knew my dates like I'm now learning. I realize every year, more and more, that learning in schools is so superficial in that its a mean to an end, the end being tests. My dd is learning for its own sake and I can see it sticking!!!

And if it wasn't for homeschooling she would be completely lost! I'm coming to terms that she is dyslexic. I still find myself rationalizing that if I had done a better job she wouldn't be struggling with her reading. But she's actually making leaps and bounds and although I'm a vorocious reader and assumed all my kids would be too, I'm seeing my love of reading is helping her. I read most of her history and science to her. And some of her math problems and she loves these subjects!!

Now to get some confidence in being able to teach her to read. I would love to see a thread on that sometime!

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

*p.s. How do you get your picture on the sidebar when posting on this forum?

Blessings,
Lillian in TX
wife to Craig and mommy to dd 8, dd 6, dd 5, ds 3, dd 1

smithflections
Back to Top View Lillian's Profile Search for other posts by Lillian Visit Lillian's Homepage

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

Hi! I don't know if I qualify for older or newer, probably somewhere in between, but thought I would stop in and say hello and bring some peppermint green tea that I have gotten hooked on! I wish I had some yummy bread to go along with it but it seems like there is nothing good in our house at all!

I am in the same boat it sounds like as Jodie....small parish, only one other homeschooler, and feeling starved for Catholic community. We have a terrific pastor who is working hard at bringing our parish around, but it has a ways to go. My ache for "Catholic community" is exacerbated by the fact that we moved to this area from a very vibrant parish rich with homeschoolers. Even my dd was telling me the other day how much she misses having friends who "got it".

I am also new to "winging it", I have used Seton and CHC heavily in the past and am now just using those as a bit of filler instead of as the main thing. I am good at compiling booklists but then am not sure where to go from there!

I have gotten so much already from all the ladies here and feel that you all really helped me make the transition to our new area with a bit less sadness over what we were missing!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

JuliaT wrote:
We do a mish mosh of just about everything--CM, classical, RealLearning and a bit of Montessori.

The hardest thing I am finding right now is how to teach two children. I know that may sound silly to those of you who have 5 or more, but I am really struggling with this. It's not a real big problem right now because my middle child is still in K. I am wondering how things are going to play out when he is older. The reason that this is an issue is that I have chosen curriculums that are mommy-intensive. I can't just give them a workbook and let them go at it. I have to be with them for most of the time. So this is my dilemma right now. I don't know what I am going to do when my youngest comes into the mix.

Blessings,
Julia
mom to 3(7,6,4)
http://www.homschoolblogger.com/Juliainsk

Julia -- I'm so glad you posted. I have the same age mix (except add a 15 yod and 17 yos). Right now I just do the 6 and 7 together for lots of things -- don't try to do too much "table" work (read that as "traditional school"). When you want to work with one or the other (like practicing reading) have the other play with the little one, play on the computer or do a workbook/coloring book/activity book. This seems to work great for me. 30 min of a computer learning game (like "In Search of Spot" or "Reading Rabbit" allows me time to do 30 min of reading/cuddling time with the other. Many of the other "subjects" can be done with both (and even the little one) -- science is nature walks, visits to the museum or zoo, or whatever; math is games and playing with numbers/shapes, etc; history can be done with select read alouds ... I think you get the idea.

So glad you stopped in and NEVER feel hesitant to dive right into a conversation....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Julia, I teach 2, who are 6 years apart. It's tough some days and easier on others...ds (14) is getting better at self-teaching the easier things (you know, "Read Chapter 4" and stuff like that)...but we got to the point where he didn't ask for real, hands-on help when he needed it. So, now I'm trying harder to give him more mom time. Dd (9 in a few hours!) is NOT happy with this, because she likes to have most of my attention, but I'm learning to reconcile myself to the fact that she will just have to wait for my help sometimes. The bizarre part is that she can do a lot of the work on her own, but won't.

One thing I've learned is that anything I read aloud, whether it's for one or both children, is actively listened to by both. So, I choose all read-alouds with great care. We start the day with a read-aloud chapter or two from our current book selection, and then I read aloud to dd several other times during the school day. This ensures that ds will eavesdrop and absorb something he wasn't planning to!

Ds is really, really great at working on his own (surprise! I was amazed that he developed this skill, but he did...) but I work with him a lot on study skills, math, German, etc. each day. I want to give him study tools to use when he gets to college, so I try to add one each year (note-taking, study sheets, critical reading, outlining, stuff like that).

No, it's not easy. You give up virtually any free time you might once have enjoyed. Payoff...1000%. What other investment pays so well?!

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Julia,
Hi! I am Molly. I have seven children 15yr down to 8 months. I am wondering what curriculum you use. If I were schooling two, especially that close together, I would definitely use Sonlight. You can use the same level all the way through school, and even your little one can be on the same topic (history is the backbone of the curriculum, they cycle through the course of history over a few years) if not on the same level. It is a cuddle on the couch type of schooling. I don't use it exclusively because I am dealing with a high schooler as well as the four other school age kids.

Just a thought that struck me. Of course, I change my mind daily about what I want to do! But I love giving to advice to those who are more stable than I! Maybe next year?

By the way, it's late, everyone is asleep, so no tea here, just Haagen-Daaz raspberry sorbet. Gotta have something special when all is quiet.

Alice, great idea. However, it really isn't going to helpful to my resolve to spend less time on the computer.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Hello beautiful new friends and old favorites alike (MaryM, whatever age you are, and Mary G. assures me you are very, very young, you are just right!) Thanks to all of you for chiming in--I was petrified that this thread might go over like a lead balloon! Of course, you good women would never let that happen!

Lorri, Jodie, X-Hail, Julia, Lillian, and Hollee, what a blessing you are. [X-Hail, we have "met" before--I remember your name because, as it is spelled, it put me in mind of the Sign of the Cross and the Hail Mary.]

As long as we are talking about our children, mine are Agnes (12), Theresa (11), Margaret (9), Marie (7), Patrick (5), Catherine (2), and baby Eileen born in June.

A couple of subjects jumped right out at me, and I hope you will forgive me if I pick a few at random--it adds to the kitchen table effect if things aren't too organized anyway! Oh, and speaking of kitchen tables, how could I have forgotten to offer a kettle boiling on the stove for you dear tea drinking mothers? You might say I am ambidextrous when it comes to hot drinks, loving both coffee and tea (preferably with a cup in each hand).

JuliaT wrote:

The hardest thing I am finding right now is how to teach two children. I know that may sound silly to those of you who have 5 or more, but I am really struggling with this. It's not a real big problem right now because my middle child is still in K. I am wondering how things are going to play out when he is older. The reason that this is an issue is that I have chosen curriculums that are mommy-intensive. I can't just give them a workbook and let them go at it. I have to be with them for most of the time. So this is my dilemma right now. I don't know what I am going to do when my youngest comes into the mix.

Julia, I am in the exact same situation and would say, have no fear! My two oldest are 18 months apart, and the oldest was a very young reader. You would think that they could not be taught together, but, honestly, it has always been easy and enjoyable to keep them on the same page (both literally and figuratively). Now that doesn't mean that Theresa (the younger one) did everything at the same speed and time as Agnes (the older one), but for so many subjects--Math, Literature, Poetry, Science, Catechism, Latin, and many others--they have always been together. It is great fun and has made them the best of friends.

Lillian wrote:
I have 5 kiddos ages 1-8. We are moving in 1 week to a new place to be closer to family. And although I'm thrilled to be so close to my mom(s), sister and cousins, I'm a little worried about starting all over. Having to meet a new homeschool group, getting new friends for my girls, praying for at least one close friend for me, etc.

That is stressful, but you will find your group. It wasn't long ago that we left a beloved hs'ing group to move here, and I thought we were the only ones on Long Island with this wild idea (hs'ing was much less prevalent nine years ago). I prayed and prayed for a friend for my oldest daughter (then about age four). Our Lady answered and I found some Catholic hs'ers in a roundabout way, meeting two girls her exact same age the very same day. The group has grown by leaps and bounds ever since.

I will pray for you--and for that social circle--as you get ready to move.

Lillian wrote:
nd if it wasn't for homeschooling she would be completely lost! I'm coming to terms that she is dyslexic. I still find myself rationalizing that if I had done a better job she wouldn't be struggling with her reading. But she's actually making leaps and bounds and although I'm a vorocious reader and assumed all my kids would be too, I'm seeing my love of reading is helping her. I read most of her history and science to her. And some of her math problems and she loves these subjects!!

Now to get some confidence in being able to teach her to read. I would love to see a thread on that sometime!

It is amazing how extremely intelligent dyslexic children are. I was also amazed to find an article at the National Foundation for Dyslexia (paraphrasing the name of the group now, but I might be able to find it) highly recommending homeschooling for dyslexic children.

BTW, I'm the Language Arts forum moderator. I would be thrilled if you would begin a thread on that very subject in the Living Language Arts Forum. Or I could start one if you prefer.

That gives me an idea. Perhaps we could use this thread to suggest topics we want to discuss and the proper place for them to turn into lengthy topics. It might be helpful for new members to get accustomed to how and where new threads are born. For example, I could see the door open for many, many fruitful discussions here. If we were really in the kitchen, I'd be the one squeezing in and trying to sit next to all of you.

Lillian wrote:
*p.s. How do you get your picture on the sidebar when posting on this forum?

Go to "settings" (top right on this page) and then edit profile. By the way, if any of you would like a link put into your signature and do not know how to do it, please let me know--I would be very happy to help.

Hollee wrote:
I am in the same boat it sounds like as Jodie....small parish, only one other homeschooler, and feeling starved for Catholic community. We have a terrific pastor who is working hard at bringing our parish around, but it has a ways to go. My ache for "Catholic community" is exacerbated by the fact that we moved to this area from a very vibrant parish rich with homeschoolers. Even my dd was telling me the other day how much she misses having friends who "got it".

Lillian, Jodie and Hollee, you might want to consider starting a Mother's Rosary Group in your home. You will be amazed at how many faithful women will come out of the woodwork, all of whom feel just as you do. A Mother's Rosary group is easy to form and can work wonders, both spiritually and in terms of support and understanding. You see, now there's a thread right there!

It's so great to begin this talk. Sorry if I seem to ignore you familiar members, but you already know your way around the kitchen, so I'm not worried about you. Someone call MacBeth and tell her we are ready for that second pot of coffee . . . .

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Alice, what a lovely idea. I think I'm an oldtimer of sorts, but thought I'd chime in. I have 4--LB (8), Michaela (5), Emma (3) and Jordan (19 mos). My husband is active duty Army. We've moved around so much it makes my head spin. I never completely finish unpacking until right before we get new orders. So, maybe if I don't ever finish unpacking the military won't move us again. Hmmm....

Anyway, I started homeschooling for various reasons, but the one catalyst was my son. At age 6 he was diagnosed with autism. I have never sent him to public school and did not want to because he had such difficulty. I didn't at the time know what it was, but after a long year we did get the proper diagnosis (after a disastrous time with a psychologist who wanted to label him Oppositional to OCD to just plain lonely). It's been the best thing for him and his siblings. His sisters have been his best teachers. The structure we use along with the Charlotte Mason ideas that Elizabeth outlines in her books, have helped us tremendously. LB is learning well albeit a bit slower than his peers. However, his love of learning has not been stamped out as it would have by bullies I am sure.

My favorite tea is Bigelow's English Teatime. However, I much prefer coffee especially Hazelnut.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 11:05pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

KC in TX wrote:
Anyway, I started homeschooling for various reasons, but the one catalyst was my son. At age 6 he was diagnosed with autism. I have never sent him to public school and did not want to because he had such difficulty. I didn't at the time know what it was, but after a long year we did get the proper diagnosis (after a disastrous time with a psychologist who wanted to label him Oppositional to OCD to just plain lonely). It's been the best thing for him and his siblings. His sisters have been his best teachers. The structure we use along with the Charlotte Mason ideas that Elizabeth outlines in her books, have helped us tremendously. LB is learning well albeit a bit slower than his peers. However, his love of learning has not been stamped out as it would have by bullies I am sure.

I truly believe that homeschooling is a gift--what a blessing it is for your son to be educated at home in a loving, nurturing environment.

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Lillian wrote:
I've been reading and enjoying this forum but was at a loss for how to join in. I can see the beauty and closeness in many of the relationships that have formed here.

Lillian, you've come to the right place! Sometimes, I think it is the informal chats that truly bring us together and help us come to know and care for one another. It is amazing how deep the friendships are here, but I would also say that everyone seems to be seeking the same thing--fellowship, consideration, understanding, and the best for our children. We all have so much in common that we almost seem to start out as friends from the outset.

Cottage Blessings

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Alice,

This is lovely. Just like you. Now when are you coming to visit Lissa, so I can sit around a real table and drink tea with you!!!

Welcome to all of the new women here. This board is something I visit often and has come to mean a great deal to me. The women, the sharing of ideas, joys and sorrows, and the prayers are priceless.

Blessings to you all,

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

alicegunther wrote:
We all have so much in common that we almost seem to start out as friends from the outset.

I think we just posted at the same time. :)

I love what you said above. So very true!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Darling Erica, you are a perfect example of a person I do not need to know personally to love!

Would that I were there right now!

Cottage Blessings

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Because this is the sort of thing that I love about this board, I have to jump in and say hello. I guess I am one of the old-timers. I've "known" some of the women here from when I first joined the CCM list when my current 7th grader was beginning kindergarten in our homeschool. Dh often tells people what a great resource my online friends and acquaintances have been for our homeschool! I live in Northern Virginia, outside of Washington, DC.

Welcome to all of you who have recently joined us or have been here for awhile and simply felt comfortable enough to speak out for the first time.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 12:14am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

teachingmom wrote:
Because this is the sort of thing that I love about this board, I have to jump in and say hello. I guess I am one of the old-timers. I've "known" some of the women here from when I first joined the CCM list when my current 7th grader was beginning kindergarten in our homeschool. Dh often tells people what a great resource my online friends and acquaintances have been for our homeschool! I live in Northern Virginia, outside of Washington, DC.

Welcome to all of you who have recently joined us or have been here for awhile and simply felt comfortable enough to speak out for the first time.

Thank you, Irene, and you were one of the very first people to welcome me to the CCM board all those years ago. I had four girls at the time and barely knew how to get on the internet, but you wrote (I am paraphrasing), "Oh, how I wish you lived next door. I have four daughters just about your daughters' ages. What fun they would have together."

You see? Those words of welcome are not soon forgotten!

Cottage Blessings

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 12:56am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Alice, I am completey touched that you would remember my words from so long ago! Thanks for writing that--you've made my day. (And I still think it would be great if you were next door. But your poor son, with a dozen girls to contend with . . . . )

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 2:32am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Hello all!
I am probably the only one here who does not homeschool exclusively. It is illegal to homeschool here in Germany.
Dh and I do homeschool when the girls are at home. We talk a lot to the girls about their expieriences and try to give them a Faith filled perspective. We try to strengthen them to be able to live in this world , but not of it.?????
I don't even remember how I found this board??? Maybe through Danielle Bean or Michele Q?????
I have 4 girls ages 3 - 10. Oh, how I wish our girls could meet and spend time with all of yours! Only a few thousand miles stand in the way.

I read that someone is teaching their children german. I can't find the post right now, but if your children want to write to a german speaking child online, maybe we could be of help.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Good Morning!
I'll bring my latte to the kitchen table, just squeezing in the corner by the window...

I live on a 35 ft sailboat with my husband and daughter in the Florida Keys, all three of us adore this life! Just this morning I hopped off the boat onto the dock and saw the biggest puffer fish of my life! It was probably 2 foot long and nearly a foot across the head. It was not puffed but you could see the spines clearly and its eyes were amazing, very large and mobile...

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

alicegunther wrote:
Darling Erica, you are a perfect example of a person I do not need to know personally to love!

Would that I were there right now!

And then Alice, if you cross-countried it like Lissa did, you could stop and see some of your favorite Denver 4realers! [we need an emoticon for pleading ]

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

I have lurked here for years ... always wanting to join in, but wondering if I should "start something else". I realize now that this is not "something else", but a circle of friendship that I wish I had joined in earlier.

We started homeschooling our oldest when I slowly realized she had several learning disabilities - sensory integration issues, OCD, mild mental retardation, speech delays. When Catie was born her vocal chords were paralyzed, which affected her breathing. The first 3 months of her life she was on oxygen. Doctors speculate that her insufficient oxygen supply during that time caused brain damage. Catie is now 19, almost 20. We have been through a lot with her, including anorexia, but managed to homeschool her all the way through high school. Currently, she is working at Wegmans - a grocery store. She wants to get nurses aide training, so I am looking into this.

I have nine other kiddos - 4 boys/5 girls. My next oldest Billy, is graduating this year and waiting to hear from the Naval Academy. The thought scares me, but I know this is what he wants.

I would love to hear from moms who have children with medical issues involving constant MD appts. and how they fit school into the mix of coming and going more than one would like. I have two daughters with scoliosis, my oldest is in weekly therapy, my baby gets PT once a week, and two of my boys need speech therapy.

So happy to be here!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Hi Everyone!
I am so glad you guys are coming out and posting. It is scary sometimes to take the risk, even when you have been doing it a while.

I am Natalia and I have 3 children. A 13 yo girl, a 9 yo boy and a 4 yo boy. I am late getting up today so don't have much computer time ( after all I do have to school ) So my chat around the table has to wait. I am glad to see all of you here.

Love,

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version