Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: praying the Rosary Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Lovely idea about combining rosary and hot choc. Nice Pavlovian conditioning there -- just think, whenever these guys have chocolate in future, they might feel drawn to pray!

Our little nightly decade is going well. We're having one child lead the Our Father (then everyone joins in with the response), someone else do the Hail Marys, etc. I think we'll stick to this even when we expand to 2 decades, because then each child has his or her own responsibility.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

When I reverted, the first Catholic item I purchased was a rosary. Thinking back on it, this was unusual since I never owned a rosary growing up and we didn't say the rosary as a family. It took a long time before I actually integrated the rosary into my and our family prayer time. For me, I started with what I was taught in parochial school as the basic rosary:

Sign of the Cross
1 Our Father
3 Hail Mary
1 Glory Be
(Start Decades)
1 Our Father
10 Hail Mary
1 Glory Be
(Repeat 5 times)

Since then I have expanded to:
Sign of the Cross
1 Our Father (for the intentions of Pope Benedict XVI)
3 Hail Mary (for an increase in faith, hope, and love)
1 Glory Be
(Start Decades)
1 Our Father
10 Hail Mary
1 Glory Be
1 Fatima Prayer
(Repeat 5 times)
1 Hail Holy Queen

I have wanted to add this prayer for some time:

burneweb wrote:

Here is a prayer we say after the Rosary.
O God, whose only-begotten Son, by his life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for use the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

Is there a name for this prayer and do you add it after the Hail Holy Queen?

Recently I participated in a rosary and the prayers after the Hail Holy Queen were numerous. Is this a regional thing? Also, other than the Fatima Prayer, are other prayers added DURING the decades? (I think that I have heard the above prayer added then.) Interesting! Thanks, everyone.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

One of my maxim’s regarding the Rosary:
A poorly said rosary is better than no rosary.

I’m not recommending saying the Rosary poorly, but, for mothers, the challenge is to make sure some prayers are said during the day. (As opposed to religious who have their prayer schedule set for them. The challenge for the Religious is to make themselves present during prayer despite aridity and routine and to pray very well.) Mothers have to make sure we keep praying. In other words, try not to let “perfection become the enemy of the good.” If you think you are too distracted to say the Rosary, say it anyway, and by the end, you’ll probably will have conquered the distraction.

Our Lady at Fatima requested, at each apparition to pray the Rosary daily. It is her favorite prayer and very powerful.

I’ll be sending out tonight as part of Mary Vitamin this quote which sheds some light on the powerful action of the the Blessed Virgin (book of Judith)

“But now that Mary has been given to the world, heavenly graces constantly flow through her on all. The devil, like Holofernes, who, in order to gain possession of the city of Behulia, ordered the aqueducts destroyed, exerts himself to his utmost to destroy devotion to the Mother of God in souls; for if this channel of grace is closed, he easily gains possession of them.”
Glories, 159
(Holofernes is mentioned in the Book of Judith and favorite subject in art.)

As far as a “traditional” way to pray the Rosary, this varies. John Paul II’s encyclical On the Rosary, doesn’t even mention the Fatima prayer! (I found that pretty surprising.) Number 29 and following specifically speak to saying the Rosary well,, while numbers 20 through 23 could be used for meditation while praying the Rosary.

JP II"s Rosary Encyclical

My cousin, who is not American, grew up praying the Rosary without the Creed and introductory prayers. I forget the short introductory prayer she used, and then she went straight to the mysteries. The way we pray the Rosary does depend upon local tradition.

One thing that seems to be pretty constant, is if you pray the Rosary in a group (for example in a Church), usually a Rosary leader begins by praying aloud the first half of each prayer:
Our Father…as it is in heaven.
Or
Hail Mary…and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.

Then the rest of the people respond with the last part of the prayer.

For me personally, I’ll say the Rosary any way I can in order to say it in the day, kneeling, standing, sitting, walking, working, driving.

The plan is to say the rosary after tea time (snack time) sitting in the family room (around 2:30-3:00). It is the time of day that I find my energy level waning. I find that after the Rosary, I experience my second wind. I don’t always insist upon my children praying with me. It depends upon my energy level. It takes a lot of patience and determination to insist that young children pray the Rosary every day. Some days I have this energy other days I just don’t. (I ask them to, but there is a difference between “asking” and “making sure” something gets done.) But, no matter what, I will pray the Rosary. I’m hoping that example is the best teacher so I pray the Rosary in differnt ways. Sometimes with a CD, in another language, with the Scriptures, laying on the floor, walking around my dining room table, up and down the driveway, in the car, with EWTN, from my bed belting it out or in bits in pieces throughout the day. (I usually do not wait until the end of the day for fear I might fall asleep.)

When I first began to seriously pray the Rosary, I said it in Church in front of the Blessed Sacrament. I also tried to learn what each mystery meant. A scriptural Rosary is very good to begin with. But, using the Bible and looking up the verses works well. And then, I started to use other books to give me something else to think about.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 11:56pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Helen wrote:
For me personally, I’ll say the Rosary any way I can in order to say it in the day, kneeling, standing, sitting, walking, working, driving.

I am glad to hear you say this, Helen, and I really loved your post. We often say the Rosary either sitting together on the couch, or, even more often, after the kids are already in bed and we are getting everyone settled. Dh or I or both sit on the stairs to lead the prayers, and the children listen and pray from their beds. It really helps settle everyone down for the night.

This casual approach can lead to trouble though. I went to the home of a very holy friend (Mary Anne E.) when the four girls were pretty young--Agnes was probably about seven. The group got together to pray the rosary and many of the children were kneeling or sitting up reverently straight. I was mortified to see that within two minutes of prayer, my three girls were pretty much sprawled out on the floor--not just lying down, sprawled as if they were finding good sleeping positions! They were as conditioned as Pavlov's dogs! (Come to think of it, I suppose I ought to be grateful they didn't pull down the curtains to blanket themselves.)

BTW, Mary Anne E. (not a member of this group) commented at the end on how well my children knew all the prayers.    You see now this is why I surround myself with you holy women--your charity and willingness to seek the best in others is a beautiful thing!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 2:11am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Helen wrote:

I’m not recommending saying the Rosary poorly, but, for mothers, the challenge is to make sure some prayers are said during the day. (As opposed to religious who have their prayer schedule set for them. The challenge for the Religious is to make themselves present during prayer despite aridity and routine and to pray very well.) Mothers have to make sure we keep praying. In other words, try not to let “perfection become the enemy of the good.” If you think you are too distracted to say the Rosary, say it anyway, and by the end, you’ll probably will have conquered the distraction.

JP II"s Rosary Encyclical

Helen, thank you so much for the encouragement.
We did have 2 copies of JP2's encyclica which dh has given away to students of his. I really wish I had one now. I should really get a copy in english for myself.
I hesitated a long time to commit myself to this prayer because of an indecisiveness regarding language. My daily life takes place in German. We speak english occasionally at home and then of course I do communicate in english online. It has been a struggle for me, because the girls are much much better in german than in english and I wanted to pray with them in english (my native tongue), which is only a strain for them. I can also pray the rosary in german, but I don't reach the depth of prayer as I do in english. BTW I was 27 yrs old when I learned german. So, I finally decided to pray the Rosary in english and alone for now. After I gain confidence and routine(in a positive sense) then I will decide how to include the girls...I also think it is important that they know that I am praying it.

Every woman here has added so much to my prayer life, and it is so wonderful to even be able to talk about the Rosary so freely. IRL there are very few to whom I would ever mention the fact.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Helen wrote:

Helen, thank you for this, I grew up in The Blue Army with my family and there is no way I ever measure up today with what we used to do, and I can give myself the biggest guilt trips over it but I can see that things have changed, I'm a Mom now, not a carefree kid...mentally I can tell myself all sorts of stuff like this but emotionally the guilt is still there, if that makes sense. As long as it keeps one striving for betterment I guess guilt can be a motivator, right? (There goes that mental conversation/rationalization again!)

I like MacBeth's story of her children praying the rosary, we'll have to try that or marching down to our local park someday!   

I really like that photo of John Paul II in the Rockies hiking and praying the rosary I used to have it on my fridge when I had a real fridge!

ETA: I pulled a paragraph out at dd request, that's what comes of having an over-the-shoulder reader!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

Martha wrote:

ETA: I know you didn't ask about doing it with the kids, but I have found I do best in my own faith when I attach it to developing the kids faith. I might slack off on myself, but I rarely risk theirs.

What a beautiful perspective. I need to think of it that way, and maybe I'll stop slacking off so much!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2007 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I have to ask, do you start out the Rosary with the Apostle's creed? We do, but my problem is, if I want to say it while out and about, I just cannot recite the Apostle's creed without mixing it up with the Nicene . Does anyone have any memory suggestions?
A long while back, when I thought I had it down, I started having problems with the Nicene at Mass! .
I think maybe I should just pc it and keep it in my wallet?

Thanks!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI (Catholic since Easter Vigil 1983 )
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2007 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

stacykay wrote:
I have to ask, do you start out the Rosary with the Apostle's creed? We do, but my problem is, if I want to say it while out and about, I just cannot recite the Apostle's creed without mixing it up with the Nicene . Does anyone have any memory suggestions?
A long while back, when I thought I had it down, I started having problems with the Nicene at Mass! .

Keeping it in your wallet is a brilliant idea--and do not feel funny about not having it down cold yet. Most people have trouble with it, especially because we are so used to saying the Nicene Creed at Mass. After a while, especially if you try to say it once a day, you will know it like the back of your hand!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2007 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

stacykay wrote:

Thanks!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI (Catholic since Easter Vigil 1983 )

Stacy,

I also have trouble with the Creed and do the same as you. You're not the only one. I will take Alice's suggestion and say it every day to keep it apart from the Nicene.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2007 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Lissa wrote:
I didn't dare to make it a resolution, but we started off the new year with a new tradition inspired by Helen's tea-time prayer post. I had never thought of combining family prayer with afternoon tea before. Helen is, in my opinion, a genius. Her idea has utterly revitalized our prayer life.

I'm so grateful to Helen for the idea!

I'm so grateful to you *both* for sharing this lovely idea!! It is just what we need to begin our daily devotion. (That marching idea might come in handy with my boys some days too! )

Thank you, Helen for digging up those links, too. I just printed out two of them to read and refresh my memory.

JennGM wrote:
Oh, a little light bulb went off for me! I rarely have pockets and so don't keep a rosary with me, but a bracelet, what a marvelous, marvelous way to have it one me at all times!

Recommendations for nice ones anyone?

I'd love recommendations, too. I think I might have seen one at the Carmelite shop, I'll have to check back - goodness, I am always coming up with reasons to stop in there.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

This past week, my children have been praying the Rosary with The Life of Christ Mysteries of the Rosary Three videos made in the 1957.

To make it a complete media event, we've turned down the volume on the TV set in order to hear a CD reciting the prayers.

Watching the sorrowful mysteries with the Rosary was very powerful - maybe even too powerful. (This set is nothing like Mel Gibson's The Passion.)

I'm not sure this is the best way to pray the Rosary. But, the videos are very good.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

You can buy each video separately for ten dollars each.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version